• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good / Bad Comments About HMMWV's??

JAGWAH

So I've noticed driving around town, guys 40 and over look and give a thumbs up. Guys in their 50's and over are more likely to strike up a conversation and ask where I got it.

Kids love 'em when they are close, and love to climb all over inside. My 10 year old begs me to take him to school in mine almost every day, as all his friends now want one. Neighborhood kid even told his dad he saw a tank parked out front! lol...

So, what comments - both good and bad - do you get driving yours around?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was coming back from a parade and stopped at a redlight on the way home. A loaded suv stopped and the wife and kids waved & thanked me for my service because they thought I was military. I had to explain that I was not and just a " surplus collector". Kind of awkward as I did not want to disrespect those that have served. Probably more in my mind than anything else........

nspctr1

Had a guy stop last week and wanted me to take him fishing in Big Shell. Its a section of deserted beach in S Tx. Got a call from a guy running for local ofc wanting to use HMMWV in a commercial. I've only had it 3 weeks!!!

gcbennet

Lots of waves, smiles, and thumbs-up. Almost everyone stops and stares, mostly because there's only a handful of humvees in all of Canada and up to then they've only ever seen one on TV. I've even had a couple of people offer to buy it from me on the spot. All positive reactions so far (knock on wood).

Lawdog734

Kinda like gcbennet, my experiences have been very similar. Lots of waves and thumbs-up. I have had one guy offer to buy mine as well.

I've never had anything negative - not even a gripe about mileage or being a "gas guzzler".

Bravojmc

In my first Hmmwv I had a middle age guy flag me over and he said he just wanted to take a look to bring back the memories of desert storm as a Hmmwv mechanic. Very nice guy. I never had a bad experience but I do live in a nice red section of the state! Just waiting on my EUC to clear for my second go around.

teteacher101

Similar experiences here. I've had people wave, give a thumbs up, arm out the window like they are cheering me on, people have saluted, huge smiles, do double takes when they first see it, etc. I took "Best of Show" at our local car show here last fall. Countless people just stare at it when I drive by like they are in a trance when they see it or something-it is very comical.

I've talk to countless complete strangers, given neighbors, friends an complete strangers rides as well. I do a little hobby ATV an vehicle repair on the side an sell a few here an there an I've had people come to look at X I'm selling but spent more time looking at the Humvee instead of what they are buying an of course I take then for a ride too.

I have 3 boys so they crawl over the thing like its a jungle gym, my oldest is 16 an I let him drive it to school sometimes. What other 16 year old gets to drive a freakin Humvee to school! Can you imagine that when we were 16 to have that chance! The first couple times he took it to school he had to give rides to his friends an "new friends" after school was out. I get a real kick out of seeing kids check it out-its very enjoyable.

Nothing really negative, I've had a few people make comments like "Geez what kind of mileage does that thing get." or "How many miles to the gallon does it get." My reply to them is always the same "Who cares, I didn't buy it for fuel mileage-if you want something for fuel mileage buy a Prius then."

ryanruck

Nothing but lots of positive comments and thumbs ups here too!

Had one instance when I ran to the store for its weekly drive and when I came out a dad with his two young kids asked if they could get their picture with it, was more than happy to oblige. Another instance when I was making a beer run to one of the big area liquor stores when I had a group of Navy Corpsman in from CA compliment me on it and ask if they could take a few pics. Told them absolutely and thanked them for their hard work to help keep Marines like my brother who survived an IED alive.

I've had the fuel mileage questions a few times and have told them I honestly don't know but if I was worried about it, I wouldn't have bought one. :mrgreen:

I have noticed though that H2 and H3 drivers rarely make eye contact... :whistle:

springbok

I get some odd looks when going to the store and parking, people asking where did you get that, that is cool. Many follow up with, what do you get, 4 gallons to the mile.
Have never had a negative reaction except my 15 year old twin boys saying "Dad, drop us off a block away from school, as I assume it is not "IN" with the girls..
Now one thing that really shocked me, I also have a Mercedes Wolf, the military version of the GWagon. I can't go a day without a thumbs up or someone saying, wow that is so cool.
I believe because it is not what they have seen on TV in movies and such.

jeffy777

When I got my HMMWV home almost every guy in the neighborhood came out and talked with me and looked at it. (It was like having an ice cream truck around 8 year-old's) I have got a load of looks. I was test driving it when I first got it, no license plates, and a police officer pulled me over and told me it was the coolest. I have had police wave and salute. One of my pals said while we were riding around that I would not get as many looks from a Lamborghini. Normally well dressed people don't say anything to me, weird huh? But any guy dressed to go to a hardware store will want to talk about it.

Some people have asked me stupid things like: They were trained to drive a HMMWV, where did I get my training? How did you get that off the base? So is that a real military vehicle or just a replica? Are you special forces or CIA or something(I guess inverse plain clothes police logic)?

gcbennet

I'll add a story which happened with one of my friend's restored MB's, for those of you who like to attend static displays and shows. He noticed some clown sitting in the driver's seat of his WW2 jeep completely ignoring the 'please do not touch' sign placed on the hood. When he approached the individual (middle aged) and asked him to kindly remove himself from the vehicle the man proceeded to remind him that his taxes had paid for that military vehicle and he had every right to sit in it. My friend reminded him back that he's pretty sure he wasn't paying taxes back in '45 when the jeep was built, so GTFO. Unfortunately there are people out there who firmly believe that in spite of adorning civ plates, military vehicles all still belong to the gov't.

Lawdog734

I drove my GMV to a local Sonic for a milkshake the other day prior to visiting a family friend. When we pulled in, my son commented about how there were a couple of "Army men" sitting in the dining area outside, which I noted. When I pulled up to one of the order kiosks, I noticed from around the kiosk a young Sgt in ACU's cautiously walking towards my truck, so I acknowledged him prior to ordering thinking that he'll likely have a few questions.

As the Sgt gets closer, dead serious, he quietly asks "What are you doing?". So without giving it a second thought, I said that I was grabbing a quick lunch for my son and I. He was obviously taken aback by that answer and had to think about it before asking if it was my personal vehicle, so I explained to him how I bought the vehicle at auction and that it's very much mine, yada, yada, yada. At that point you can tell he was relieved - he said that he thought I was taking one of the trucks from the local reserve center for a joyride with my kid and that he was about to lose it. He then apologized profusely and went back to eating with his family.

I'm not gonna lie in that I had to chuckle about it afterwards......

ryanruck

I drove my GMV to a local Sonic for a milkshake the other day prior to visiting a family friend. When we pulled in, my son commented about how there were a couple of "Army men" sitting in the dining area outside, which I noted. When I pulled up to one of the order kiosks, I noticed from around the kiosk a young Sgt in ACU's cautiously walking towards my truck, so I acknowledged him prior to ordering thinking that he'll likely have a few questions.

As the Sgt gets closer, dead serious, he quietly asks "What are you doing?". So without giving it a second thought, I said that I was grabbing a quick lunch for my son and I. He was obviously taken aback by that answer and had to think about it before asking if it was my personal vehicle, so I explained to him how I bought the vehicle at auction and that it's very much mine, yada, yada, yada. At that point you can tell he was relieved - he said that he thought I was taking one of the trucks from the local reserve center for a joyride with my kid and that he was about to lose it. He then apologized profusely and went back to eating with his family.

I'm not gonna lie in that I had to chuckle about it afterwards......
With as spot on as your truck is, I can understand his initial concern!
rofl

2w091

Our M1025A2 was acquired through LESO so it is still government property. I will say 95% of our contact is positive when I take it out to special events.
The most common thing said is "what do you need that for?" When I explain it's essentially an unarmored, very durable 4x4 we obtained, equipped, and acquired for an investment of about $2000.00 they can't believe it. I show them the inside where we have tow straps, a chain saw, complete tool kit, portable generator, and a roll up stretcher. Then I explain we use it in bad weather, special events, and if needed it has limited tactical applications.
I had one guy literally run across the street as I was backing into the garage, he came up to me and started pontificating on how we didn't need an armored tank and that we didn't need to be "militarized". I calmly got out, showed him the side where it says "Special Response", along with symbols of a snowflake, a tornado, a flooded house, and a magnifying glass, each representing what we use it for. I told him it sits in this garage until we need it.
To his credit, he sheepishly put his head down and said "oh, I see", then I told him the cost. He shook his head and said "well, that makes sense", then asked about the maintenance. I told him I do most of the PMCS according to the tech data, and that we change the oil twice a year. He nodded, thanked me, and just walked away. :recovry4x4:

Kids (and parents) love to climb around in it and get their pictures taken, many vets like to talk and hang out. I really enjoy taking it out to show it off.

Last edited:

DanM7890

I get thumbs up all the time and lots of second looks. The occasional trip to Lowe's usually starts with a kid pulling on his dads arm pointing at the truck. It's always a fun time. The LMTV gets more attention than my M998 though and that's a different story.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yes, I have a negative comment. Put you a$$ in that passenger metal seat with that thin cushion and ride around the desert for five days straight with about 2 hours of down time every 24 hrs and only eating MRE's. Tell me if that seat feels good and if you do or don't have roids?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks