• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Brakes... Thanks GOD!!!!

rwbrown72

Last night, while going out to Col Sanders for takeout in the deuce, I had the chance to test my braking distance in my bobbed deuce. I had a 16 or so young gal turn in front of me as I was about 100 feet from crossing the intersection. I locked up all four 15.5's and scared the living s%^$ out of grandma in the lane next to me. I got it shut down about 5 feet from her passenger window. She was so thankful, she gave me the universal sign that I was number one. The way I figure it, I slid about 30 feet. It doesn't sound like much until you figure I just weighed my truck at 11280 LBS. I was only going about 35 MPH at the time. I was just glad that I didn't hit her. I left about three years of my life on 42nd street and Broadway.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Good job RW.

Sometimes it seems to me that folks just want ya to hit them!! That can't be true of course except in the most twisted cases so I'm gonna venture to guess it's just pure carelessness and in some cases stupidity.:cookoo:
Good thing you were minding your "Ps and Qs" or that could have been a really bad accident scene.
Dang!!! I sure would hate to look out my POV window and see a deuce bumper about to come in with me!!

Hope your nerves have settled down by now and again...good job.

Oh...how was the chicken??

rwbrown72

The chicken was good, but I spilled the coleslaw all over the floor. Took me a little bit to clean that up. Got everywhere. I had the sack in the passenger seat. I usually only use the brakes for the last couple of feet. I'm never in a hurry in the Deuce. Oh well. Live and learn. I'm just glad our hobby didn't get a black eye from another accident. I do my best to present a good face to everyone I meet.

DieselBob

Sometimes I think it would make sense to mount a dash cam so when the LEO shows up and asks what happened I could say “here, watch this”.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a bunch of thankless, world-be-d@mned youngsters we have these days. She cuts in front of you, taking not just her life, but yours also, into her hands and she has the audacity to flip you the "bird". What a b-yatch.

Last edited:

SixSpeed

Banned
Sheesh! Go for the skinny pedal next time! :p

A Deuce with brakes in good shape really will stop very well. They just don't like continuous use, then again I don't think any drums do.

67X

you know what ever happened to drivers ed when they showed the result of fatal accidents? I suppose the effect of that only last so long for some and just doesnt register with others...Kinda wish you could get a junk yard car of the same model as her's and do a "dumb Broadside" test on it with one of these trucks or similarly weighted vehicle with a cadaver as occupant to give her a taste of reality...better yet mail it to her parents with the dash cam vid (if you had one). Driving is a privladge..not a right and untill shes 18 her parents can yank them keys. my2cents

-Adam

Wolf.Dose

You said your total stopping distance was about 100 feet. That with a speed of 35 mph (considered to be correct) makes a mean deceleratin of 40%, which is not so good. If I consider a reaktion time of 20 feet, your mean braking performance is at 51 %. This is just at the minimun required leagal level of the FMVSS135. So your rear axle probably overbrakes heavily.
A good "REO" has a breake performance of over 80% deceleration as I know from testings by myself (laden condition, unladen allways over 60 % with overbreaking rear axles.).
So you should put more breake performance on the front axle.....
Wolf

bcombs1952

Wow she pulled out in frount of you and YOU SAVED HER LIVE AND IN DOING SO you dumped your coal slaw in the floor and she fliped you off for it!!
Thats the respect she has GAINED from her rowl models. she needed a LOVETAP just strong enough to get her a AT FAULT TICKET and give you money for a free lunch for your family and a paint job too boot.

dcwilkie

As cheap as cameras are these days, it wouldn't take much to install a dash cam. Food for thought for sure!
Have to take it with you when you park the Beast though...
Think I'll do it! Might be fun!
2cents

Tanner

Glad to hear that no one was hurt! But the coleslaw gave it's life to the cause, throwin' itself in front of you to, sacrificing itself for a brother! At least you didn't go 'Code Brown' on the situation - :wink:

People aren't paying attention their driving, but they are attentive enough to 'salute'... go figure?

'Tanner'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks