• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good deal for 700r4?

dc9137

I was going to rebuild the stock transmission in my M1009 but came across this on craigslist. Ad says "700R4 transmission rebuildable cores. 1 is for 4WD, the other is for 2WD early 1990's $100.00each"

Since I'm going to do a rebuild anyway, I'm wondering if it's worth picking up a 700r4 and using instead.

Any thoughts? Is $100 a decent price?

Attachments

cliffyp

Yes, it's a good price. My local u-pull-it charges $150 for a transmission and you still have to go get it out of the vehicle. If you can, get a "K" case. It will be stamped with a big K on the side. Make sure you're getting one from a V8, not a V6. If it's coming from a gasser you need to change the governor and torque converter.

dc9137

Hmmm...sounds like it's a good deal. Now I just need to decide if it's something I really want to do instead of keeping it stock. Thanks!

cliffyp

I just finished this swap in my 1028. It's awesome and I love it, I don't know what it would be like in an '09 with its 3.08 gearing. The 700r4's lower first gear would probably be nice, but I've heard some people complain about the overdrive and the '09's tall gears. At 65 in overdrive you'd be turning something like 1500 rpm's, might feel like a dog, especially if you have hills.

dc9137

Yah...I'm thinking I may be better off keeping the TH400 and doing a Banks turbo.

I'll likely do either 33x10.50 or 33x12.50 tires and I'll add a transmission cooler if I do any mild towing.