• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good or bad idea...

SoundGuy

I Don't know the Astro off the top of my head, but most minivans the back wheels are closer to the rear than the front wheels are to the front(That statement makes since in my head). Maybe if you back the van on the bed, the front wheels would clear the tailgate. Just food for thought.

bpj911

Options

I will examine my options. I will make a safe decision. There is evidently not much in the way of information on the capacity of the tailgate. I use my noodle every day to get 200 foot towers raised out in the middle of nowhere. I can figure it out.

SoundGuy

Or pull it straight on and put blocks on the frame at the end on the bed holding it a couple inches above the tailgate (opened of course) then strap everything so it can't move. It shouldn't be too hard if you do it right.

BugEyeBear

:funny: I Love It!! :lol:

Good to know that I'm not the ONLY One who does CRAZY stuff like this!!

"Westech": I'm surprised that no State Troopers stopped to question your use of the median... Probably SOME sort of regulation/ordinance against this. (Although, any decent cop would just laugh and ask you to not tear up the grass too badly...)

"bpj911": Just ignore the popcorn eaters. (You guys are ROUGH!! Although that WAS Very Funny!) Load the van with the weight bearing on the bed and you'll be fine. Don't trust the tailgate to handle the load (too many weak links there...). Secure it with plenty of 10000lb ratchet straps (under $20ea at Walmart or Home Depot). Carry a cell phone with a full charge (just in case Murphy wins out!). AND take LOTS of pictures so that you can squelch the naysayers!

Be safe, have fun, and PLEASE share the story with the rest of us!!
:beer:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a tall jump for a little astro van. If you can get the little Guy up there, go for it. You can add support to the tailgate with another chain, or two. I'd try driving the Deuce home too, but I'd have ALL my tools with me. Many MV's have had considerable"deferred maintainence". It will be a fun trip. Be sure to take some pictures of the trip & the tail gate.

Lee in Alaska

mbwarner

Would the tailgate hold the light end of an astro van? Yeah, probably, but don't blame us if it doesn't. Would 2 by 12's provide a measure of insurance? Yes, if they're long enough to also be under the front wheels.

I considered this option when I retrieved a truck with my Subaru Outback. Ultimately, I chose a copilot, because I wanted my disaster plan to include more than a thumb. I want my chase vehicle on the ground, not stranded four feet or more above ground. All three of the trucks I've bought have been 300 miles or so away. Two turned out to have unknown issues that luckily I had taken the tools and parts to deal with.

That said, please take a video camera. There may be some entertainment value there :roll:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 small chains supporting the tailgate. Any kind of heavy weight and the hooks on the chains will straighten out, dropping the tailgate. Sometimes the chains aren't attached well to the the bed, and break there. I'm sure something could be fabbed up to make the tailgate work for heavy loads, but stock they won't take much.

m35tech

I would suggest what others have, ask a buddy, and have the vehicle as a chase vehicle with your tools in case something happens, you never know, take jacks, tools lubes's etc, I would not want a van flying off the back onto a road, major $$$ insurance/legal

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of ideas but lets take a little comparison look at options. The advantages of putting it in the back are; 1) you need no lights for it, just strap it and go. 2) you won't have issues backing up, 3) as long as you have the means to load and unload, it costs least. If you have a buddy drive it, it's far easier and you have help and extra wheels but you have to contract a buddy and pay fuel for 2 vehicles. Now I do lots of my recoveries alone. Actually, all of them but maybe one or two. I'd lean towards the towbar route. You can get a uniiversal towbar for around $60. Add a lunette ring to it and you should be good. Astros have real bumpers so a jeep type bracket could be attached to the bumper. Magnetic towing lights can be retro fitted with 28V bulbs no problem so all you need is a trailer plug for the deuce. Going this route gets you there and back alone, can be loaded and unloaded anytime and anywhere, only pay for fuel for one vehicle and is reusable in the future. One humble opinion!

Pawnshop

Put some metal loading ramps under the wheels of the van in the bed so the ramps are supporting the weight and remove the gate, so the tail lights will show, then you KNOW the gate will not be damaged. The Astro is RWD so there is some weight on the rear but mostly on the front so I would also nose it in. I own a M35A2 AND an Astro van and this is on my list of things not to do, but I will NOT tell someone else to not try to design a workaround to an engeneering problem, that is how we learn! Please let us know what you do and how it worked out.

bpj911

Thanks for all the feedback. Some folks here need to get out and actually experience something before they say it can't be done and done safely. I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to hear the answer but most of the no way answers appear to have no idea if it would work or not. I'll take pictures and let you know how it turns out. I am not a dummy and won't do anything dangerous to myself or the general public. I would prefer to have a chase vehicle but the only one available to me in the near future would have my wife and 2 little kids in it. If I had to have her drive 400 miles with my kids then I would have the privilege of living in the new truck so this recovery will be a solo across Iowa. I will take some 14" 2x12s and some steel ramps to support the back of the van as well as various straps chains, etc to assist. No worries and I will take plenty of pics...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks