• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good or bad idea...

Pawnshop

SWEET! Good luck, be safe!

And, I assume you know this (though assumption is the mother of all f'ups), the pigtails on the outside of the bed are for securing the canvas only and will not support any weight, be sure to attach your straps/chains to the frame, frame mounted loops, lifting point on top of the rear end between the tires or lifting shackles only.

Last edited:

jimmcld

Your probably going to have 1000lbs or so on the tailgate. It will probably hold it. If it doesn't, it will only drop down to the frame if you have it secured in the bed of the deuce. You can always figure a way to get it out when you get home!

usmarines72

I would venture to say BAD IDEA!!!!!! Remember this is a tailgate. A tailgate A tailgate You're likely to do damage to your van in the event a chain link snaps (more likely it will). So with that said just hang the van over the bed of the truck. It will save you worrying about the unknown and prevent that loud audible boom you're going to hear when the tailgate lets go

bpj911

You guys really roll out the welcome wagon. My intention is to block it at the frame with the railroad tie blocks I just cut at the rear of the box and strap it down securely. The rear wheels will be just resting on the tailgate but the weight will be on the floor of the box rather than the tailgate chains. If the trucks breaks down then I will be screwed but that is an acceptable risk for me and it's not that far really. 400 miles is just down the street from my perspective.

usmarines72

Ok, the weight is resting on the bed rather than the tailgate now you're talking. Sorry for coming off as brash, but I've had several young Marines try to do things like this. Trying secure heavy loads on the tailgate. They seem to think that since it's connected to the bed it must be strong enough to hold the weight. Anyways, yes if the weight is being placed in the bed then you're good to go.

m35tech

bpj911 , welcome aboard and yes sorry for us coming across brash, we just want to make sure none of us gets hurt and or hurts others... alot of the guys on the forum have done alot of drive and hauling with there trucks

Welcome Wagon my butt, if you ask an opinion question you just may get some opinions.
Good or Bad Idea? Some members think it is a " BAD " idea. Don't get so defensive of your idea. This site is a group of guys (gals) that would assist you in more ways than with an opinion. You stated that your wife would be the only one avialable to help. People on this site help each other with pick-ups often. It sounds like you are very independent, and will most likely stay that way, but if you need assistance just ask.

SoundGuy

My intention is to block it at the frame with the railroad tie blocks I just cut at the rear of the box and strap it down securely. The rear wheels will be just resting on the tailgate but the weight will be on the floor of the box rather than the tailgate chains. .
That was what I was trying to recommend doing. You said it much clearer than I did. Good Luck

bpj911

I don't mean to be defensive. I was looking for constructive criticism with solutions rather than that what I was receiving which was big fat "NO"s with no suggestions except "find a buddy". I have moved on to action at this point and am cutting railroad ties to support the rear at the frame rails. There will be pics and there will be safety. There may also be a long walk or an extra expensive credit card charge... Looking forward to the drive despite the risks associated with driving an old truck a long distance with another truck in the bed 4 feet off the ground...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the site. It sounds like you have it figured out. Sturdy blocks, lots of chains/straps, and gumption. Good luck and please report back. Some of us may seem a little gruff, but we really are a bunch of helpful guys and have been known to drive to the other end of the state to help out another member whom we have never met :-D There are centuries of combined experiences wrapped up in this site. Make good use of them.

kipman

the chains and the hooks and the tailgate should support the rear end of the van, if the van weighs aprox 4500 lbs, the weight on the the tailgate could be half, not saying it is a good idea but you asked the question.

sermis

Simple. Get some C chanel or 2X12's long enough to go under the front wheels and extend all the way back under the rear wheels. Strap her in and hang on.

But hay I pulled a M944A1 (33,000) with a deuce (12,000) not sure you want to listen to me. Oh yea I pulled my M725 on a trailer behing my CJ5. I like adventure?:roll:

mdog

I know this thread is about worn out and fully answered BUT, I was thinking about it today and had an idea. The idea of blocking the frame is a great idea, the 2x12 channels is a good idea, the boards are a bad idea. Before I read those ideas I thought the driver could make a big yellow banner like a "wide load" banner only it would say "Danger, Bad Idea Ahead"