• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Price for a diesel heater?

FDNY129

Hey all,
I found a new & unused Multi-fuel heater. The seller wants $300, shipped to my house. Is this a good price for the unit? I know they are rare and all, but would hate to over pay too much for something anyhow.

Seller found it at an estate sale in the garage. Supposedly its NOS, just dusty from time.

I've never installed one, but from what I have, I'm assuming I would only need to pick up the fuel lines, and tap into the fuel tank. I have a coolant heater now, that would come out of the truck.

Also, the seller says it was supposedly made for a M152 Dodge. Is this the same unit in the Deuce?

Here's whats included:

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
NO! It is a good price, but I dooubt it is a multi fuel. Looks alot like the GASOLINE heater in the M715 trucks. It also says 12v on it, that would worry me. What it the model #?

FDNY129

The seller wrote this:

South-Wind 978-M Gas/Diesel Preheater w/Ignitor M43 M152

Multi-fuel Heater
Made by Stewart Warner

Rated Output 20,000 B.T.U. / HR.
Volts 12
Amps 5
Fuel Pressure 1 LB. Min. 5 LB. Max.

Comes with the RARE Ignitor and a Skinner Fuel Purifier

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That price is CHEAP...but, I agree, it is not the correct heater for your application (if I remember from your PM).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 978 is gasoline only. The later model South Wind heaters have improved mixing of air and fuel and will burn diesel, both #1 and #2.....
The control box appears to be a later model one.

FDNY129

THANKS Gimpy! That manual really helps out. I've read through it and see the specs for gasoline and 12V. There's a lot of other good reading in that manual.
I still might have to buy it. Its too good of a deal. :grin:

Maybe I can mount a small fuel cell for gasoline under the bed. I can get away with a 5 gal tank. The manual says on Hi it will only consume 1 gal in 4 hrs ( LOW is 8 hrs/1 gal.).

Any suggestions guys? :?:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A seperate fuel cell sounds like a good idear to me. Just use an old air tank. You'd have fittings easily screwed in. Might be slow to fill though.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Maybe I can mount a small fuel cell for gasoline under the bed. I can get away with a 5 gal tank. The manual says on Hi it will only consume 1 gal in 4 hrs ( LOW is 8 hrs/1 gal.).

Any suggestions guys? :?:
It may be a good deal if you want a nice model 978, but if you want a fuel burning heater, I would suggest the SW South Wind 10530A24, which you should be able to get for $100 or so (check with sermis in TX) and it will run on gasoline and/or diesel.
Remember that you will also need the fuel pump and wiring harness, so $300 is not the total cost.
Just my two cents.

cbvet

I get a bit aggravated when someone says something like " Four Thousand Dollars! . Why just a few years ago I bought three of them for Six-Fifty! ".
But that really is too high a price unless you're desperate.
And although a fuel pump is not too hard to find, the wiring harness can be.
Eric
CBVET

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, to go back to the control box, I had one for a model 978 a year ago (Mike Pop ended up with it) and as I remember, there was no connector on the back, so wiring may be different.

m109guy

That heater does not come out of an M152. I have owned an M152, and that is not the heater inside the back, as the one in the back looks different and is 24v. The M152 uses the same heater as the M43. Plus the heater in the M152 is gas only.

That heater does look to be in pristine shape though. $300 sounds okay, but it would be better if it was 24v.