• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good source for inner fender?

V8Astro

I chopped up my RF inner fender to accomodate the turbo downpipe. I cut out a lot more than was needed so I could fab the exhaust. The inner fender was really rusty anyway. Now that I'm finishing up I wanted to add some flashing to keep the mud and snow out. I think it would be easier to replace the inner fender than to add sheet metal back to it. Also found that one of the battery try legs has poked thru where the fender has rusted completely thru.

I guess it's time for a new inner fender. I've never ordered body panels online. Any recommendations?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the used one will have rust issues. Sometimes you can find a nice one.

Ne ones will need to be modified for the battery trays.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Are these something you CUCV guys might need? I know a guy that had a stack of them last time I was there. Should I see about grabbing them for you(s)?

scottladdy

Are these something you CUCV guys might need? I know a guy that had a stack of them last time I was there. Should I see about grabbing them for you(s)?
NOS and rust free? I'm sure you'll help some of us out. I am just about to order 4 new inner fenders, two of each side.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp, you would not have a problem moving them. Only issue is the size for shipping.

gnick

i bought mine off amazon, and i believe it was sourced from AutoMetal Direct. They fit perfect. When you install the new one remember that you'll need to drill out all the spot welds for the battery brackets. You'll need to reuse those battery brackets.

Kaiserjeeps

I recently found a product called Fluid Film. I am doing a restoration on a formerly very rusty 1970 wagoneer and wanted to find some thing that would preserve all the body metal I have been replacing. You put it on as a last step after any welding or painting. It surpassed a bunch of military testing and looks to be a good solution. You spray it on your inner fender wells and on the frame etc. I will be applying it into places on the rig that need long term protection. It has great reviews and also has a lot of other uses. Like keeping snow from sticking to your plow and snow blower. European car nuts use a similar product. Fluid Film creeps and migrates into seams and cracks. Check out the testing tab on the product site. The reviews on amazon also speak good things. I currently have 4 pieces of metal strapped under one of our Subaru wagons for paint testing. We get a LOT of road salt here and there have been questions on which rust paint is best and also pretreatment. One of the pieces had Fluid Film on it and we shall see in three months. This rust paint and prep test and my build on the 70 are over at IFSJA. <-- Shameless plug there.... :D

Hers is the link to Fluid Film's site.
http://www.fluid-film.com/

gnick

I've completely coated the under carriage of my M1009, and pretty much any bare metal that isn't on the interior or a body panel. I did this 3 months ago, and everything still looks wet. It repels water really well and holds up to a car wash. It hasnt snowed much, so there hasnt been a lot of salt on the roads, but i'm really hoping it holds up against that as well.

Originally i was going to put POR15 on everything, but fluid film migrates into every crevice and gets places you would never get with a brush.

Kaiserjeeps

I finally had a chance to try it on the plow. It does indeed work at keeping snow from sticking to it. I have yet to try it in the snow blower. That was a pain to clear out. Our temps here have hovered around 30ish. Makes for wet snow and sticky stuff. I wish I had discovered Fluid film a while ago. I sprayed some in the M1008's wheel wells. I am already seeing rust starting. I am going to need inner fender wells also. Or dig out the welder and start some patch panels. I give the truck a good rinse after most drives. When it's not too cold out.
It is supposed to be good for rust that has already started too. Good stuff.

Last edited:

scottladdy

the inner fenders I recently purchased from LMC are okay. they fit in the wells fine. some of the accessory holes needed to be redrilled as they were not lining up with OEM parts. I also recently installed civilian battery trays in the stock locations keeping the 24 Volt starting system. once installed they are fine. time will tell how they hold up.

as for fluid film I learned about this when I purchased my dr rapid fire log splitter. Dr recommends using the product as a rust preventer. works great

cucvrus

Undercoat them inner fenders. I had them rust thru in 5 years untreated. I use the Rusfre product and have great results. That black coating is just wash primer not paint or a protective coating.

scottladdy

Undercoat them inner fenders. I had them rust thru in 5 years untreated. I use the Rusfre product and have great results. That black coating is just wash primer not paint or a protective coating.
I used Eastwood rubberized undercoating on the new fender wells. thanks for the recommendation I agree they rusted out fast it up here in the North East quickly as OEM parts let alone repops. I also use the rusfre products. they seem to work well

MarcusOReallyus

I'll likely have to do mine in the next year or so. Probably a next summer project.

Rick, do you recommend coating both sides of the inner fender?

cucvrus

Yes I do. I clean them with DX330 wax and grease remover and spray them with 2 coats of the Rusfree. the same as the battery boxes. It seems to hold up well and has a great texture and is not slimmy and sticky when dry. I hope that helps. Good Luck. Happy New Year.

MarcusOReallyus

I recently found a product called Fluid Film. I am doing a restoration on a formerly very rusty 1970 wagoneer and wanted to find some thing that would preserve all the body metal I have been replacing. You put it on as a last step after any welding or painting. It surpassed a bunch of military testing and looks to be a good solution. ... Fluid Film creeps and migrates into seams and cracks.

Hers is the link to Fluid Film's site.
http://www.fluid-film.com/
Fluid film is good stuff, I found out about it on shop floor talk.
I've completely coated the under carriage of my M1009, and pretty much any bare metal that isn't on the interior or a body panel. I did this 3 months ago, and everything still looks wet. It repels water really well and holds up to a car wash. It hasnt snowed much, so there hasnt been a lot of salt on the roads, but i'm really hoping it holds up against that as well.

Originally i was going to put POR15 on everything, but fluid film migrates into every crevice and gets places you would never get with a brush.

I just learned about Fluid Film a few weeks ago. The test results and reviews are pretty impressive. Picked up a can but have not tried it yet.

Looks to me like the Rusfre would be a better choice for large clean pieces like a new inner fender, but the Fluid Film for nooks and crannies and treating already rusted metal.

I'll be giving both a try.

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks