• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good source for U Joint fir M1088

Reworked LMTV

I'm looking for ujoints for my m1088. I got my truck out of the driveway and down the road for the first time yesterday. Sounds like there is a rotational sound at various speeds. The nameplate does have the "D" on it. I friend thought it might be U joints.

Does anyone know a good source for them or know if the military part number crosses to another part?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the military part number?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driveline racket is very likely coming from wheel end spider gears with excessive lash. There is a thread here on adjusting this. Also check the hub lube level.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's some u joint info around posts 98-104 in this thread.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...up-and-Build&p=1873355&viewfull=1#post1873355

However, I agree with the need to check the hubs first. There is a spider gear reduction setup in there that need gear oil. They can also get out of adjustment and have a "clatter" sound at certain speeds.

IMG_3697.jpg
Ask me how I know... There's a lot of info here in other threads on how to adjust the gear lash. The shim packs are cheap on the large auction site.

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
R279X is the U joint they are widely available. Get under the truck with some gloves on. Grab a driveshaft and shake hard feel for play especially in the slip joint. Do both. If you can feel ANY play then its too much wear and something needs to be replaced. No highway driving till its fixed.

Reworked LMTV

R279X is the U joint they are widely available. Get under the truck with some gloves on. Grab a driveshaft and shake hard feel for play especially in the slip joint. Do both. If you can feel ANY play then its too much wear and something needs to be replaced. No highway driving till its fixed.
Thanks Suprman! You are always a great source of information.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that the number for all 4 joints, front shaft and rear?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just make sure they are US made, the china ones break.
The Neapco joints (listed in my spreadsheet, here in my signature) are the best I've found so far. High quality, made in the USA, and come with the safety tab locking plates to make sure they won't accidentally vibrate loose. Great stuff.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Anyone would be fine with any of the name brand joints in that 1610 series as they are pretty light duty joints made to just about the same spec. Moog #P333, Spicer 5-279X, Traction HD5279X, Meritor CP16N, Borg Warner 114-516. Meritor makes a M279X joint that has a 100,000 mile lube interval for those of you who wish to install and forget about it.

Even the name brand Made in America parts can be shotty. I had a Meritor 92 Series joint that had a cap explode because their machine apparently did not drill a hole all the way thru on the grease passage to the center X. Unfortunately 92 series joints have banded end caps so you can't remove them and inspect them prior to install. I had to send it off to meritor for inspection and to get a check for the damage it caused. Machines make mistakes to even on a $300 u joint

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks