• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good tire question

GPW661

Here is the $62.00 dollar question....what make of tires came on from the factory on my 1985 M1009 ...Im saying BF Goodrich...Because my truck had a NOS set of tires put on being sold for auction (BF Goodrich)..Mind you my cucv showing 45k on it and I was told only one man was in charge of this truck. It came from an Armour div. ,, in Port Murry NJ.

Jersey4x4

Well I guess I will be just like the others. Look in the TM and it will tell you. The M1008, M1010, M1028, M1031 used tires made by Firestone according to the numbers in the TM and the M1009 used Bridgestone. But what do I know, I just worked on them every day. Now maybe the Base they were on switched them but they had Bridgestone/Firestone tires on them when delivered. If you think I dont know read the manual TM9-2320-289-20P section 98 and more specifically 98-1

Stonepicker1

Now your making me think back in time...back in 1985 here in south Florida we turned all of our M151A2 jeeps in to DRMO and recieved 2 M1008, 5 M1028 and 6 M1009 from the warehouse. I know for a fact that they didn't have Goodyear tires on them. Firestone rings a bell with me. When I replaced a "blow out" tire on my Blazer I recieved a Goodyear tire from the Mil system in 1994.

In 1991 we recieved 5 M1031(contact trucks) they all had Uniroyal Laredo A/T on them.

Around mid 90's when we ordered tires we would get Goodyear's then later we would get Cooper Discoverer A/T's.
It all depends what is in the warehouse when you order on what you got2cents.

GPW661

My buddy Dylan bought a CUCV from a used car dealer here on long island back in around early 1990's..They had on also BF goodrich on them..i should try and post the picture.

Jersey4x4

SOLD, to the lowest bidder. I had one blow on me once and it was quite impressive, all that was left was the bead and a ringing in my ears. I changed my daily driver tires to BFG MT km2 load range E and they are great. I have had them on over a year and they just dont ware. I am running 285/75-16 which are a bit wider and taller then stock but they look good on the truck and best of all they work well in mud, snow, ice and so on.

Thats cus Destination LE are cheap!

<used to work for firestone

A3superdeuce

When I was working in CSMS shop (84-85) I did acceptance test drives on M1009 and M1008 trucks and they all had Goodyear tires on them. We test drove them to check for any oil or fluid leaks and then removed the rubber floor mats and sound deading and then put down textured floor paint. as well as installed the " anti-theft" chains and installed hood locks to keep batteries from walking off. We also removed most of the NBC alarm mounts from the passenger side floor mounts.

NPD732

My buddy bought a 1987 M1028 from GL. It had 2400 original miles on it. The tires were very dryrotted Firestones with 87 date codes on them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks