• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goodman Ball 2520 (10kW)

diogenescreosote

I am considering buying this 10kW generator:

However, I can't find any information about it on the Internet. It appears Goodman Ball was acquired by Dewey, so I can't call Goodman Ball anymore to ask about it, and no one at Dewey seems to be able to help.

In particular, does anyone know what engine is in there? How does the performance and reliability of this generator compare to the MEP-803A?

Thanks in advance!

Chainbreaker

With the gray engine and orange internal sheet metal I would say that is a Kubota 3 cyl diesel engine/genset. In fact, it looks to me like its simply a repackaged Kubota LowBoy series genset

2nd Edit: The control panel & spec's on the GBI unit looks very similar to the GL-11000 Kubota.

Don't know how it would compare to an 803a but Kubota builds great engines & such. I have a Kubota Mower that has a 3 cylinder diesel engine in it and its been great. I also have a 4 cylinder Kubota Tractor and same for it. Excellent Japanese build quality!

Last edited:

diogenescreosote

I think your initial guess (Kubota Lowboy) was correct. The engine depicted in the auction listing has 3 cylinders.

The GL-6000, according to the link you gave, has a two cylinder Z482 engine. The lowboy you linked to has a 3-cylinder D722.

Chainbreaker

I think your initial guess (Kubota Lowboy) was correct. The engine depicted in the auction listing has 3 cylinders.

The GL-6000, according to the link you gave, has a two cylinder Z482 engine. The lowboy you linked to has a 3-cylinder D722.
Yep, I was wrong about it possibly being a GL6000, I just edited my response above to clarify I now believe its a GL11000 or similar.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am considering buying this 10kW generator:

However, I can't find any information about it on the Internet. It appears Goodman Ball was acquired by Dewey, so I can't call Goodman Ball anymore to ask about it, and no one at Dewey seems to be able to help.

In particular, does anyone know what engine is in there? How does the performance and reliability of this generator compare to the MEP-803A?

Thanks in advance!
Someone bought it. Was it you?

Some general thoughts -

This looks like an off the shelf military acquisition of a civvy genset.

The military seriously underrates their generators. What the Army calls 10kW is more like 12.5kW in reality. So comparing an 803 to a civvy 10kW isnt really applies to apples.

This is likely a 12v genset. If you have 24v military equipment be aware of the mismatch (jumpstarting etc...). I didn't see a slave port either.

Kubota makes good little diesel engines. I've had them in welders and they were just fine.

At the $2k price point I'd have probably tried for an 803, but that's probably just my own bias....

Edit to add screenshot-

Attachments

Last edited:

diogenescreosote

Yes, I bought it. I already have three MEP-803As. They are all slightly overpowered for my needs, so the lower engine HP wasn't too much of a concern.

What made me willing to pay that much was the low hours, relatively recent model year, and the axle. Operational MEP-803A generators in California with under a 1000 hours seem to sell fo $2500-$3000, with no trailer, and they are typically a fair bit older. Maybe it wasn't the best value per dollar, but if there are any problems, I'm sure y'all will hear about them in great detail!

Chainbreaker

Yep, hard pressed to buy a MEP-803a in reasonable shape under 2,000 hours for less than $2k on the West Coast. Ever since the big fires out West coupled with PG&E of California now doing their summer fire season windy day power shutdowns generator prices have crept up substantially. Hard to even find suitable home backup Military generators now on Craigslist. They used to pop up all the time. Apparently, they all seem to have found new homes and people are holding on to them.

I think that GBI/Kubota Lowboy unit should work out well. If you do encounter any problems getting parts through Kubota should not be a problem.

Reactions: 98G

diogenescreosote

I received this one, got it tuned up, and have now deployed it.
With the gray engine and orange internal sheet metal I would say that is a Kubota 3 cyl diesel engine/genset. In fact, it looks to me like its simply a repackaged Kubota LowBoy series genset

2nd Edit: The control panel & spec's on the GBI unit looks very similar to the GL-11000 Kubota.

Don't know how it would compare to an 803a but Kubota builds great engines & such. I have a Kubota Mower that has a 3 cylinder diesel engine in it and its been great. I also have a 4 cylinder Kubota Tractor and same for it. Excellent Japanese build quality!
Update: I have now received this generator, got it tuned up, and put it to work. I agree that it is a repackaged GL-11000.

It cost me about $2200 to purchase after taxes and fees, another $600 to transport, and another $500 for tuneup and battery replacement, so about $3300 total. I have been running it about 11 hours a day under roughly 4500 watt load. Engine sounds good, no complaints. The set runs smoothly and with no apparent problems.

On the whole, it seems like a pretty good deal. A brand new GL-11000 costs about $8500 after tax and delivery, and this is unit is basically new. So far, it seems like a successful, economical acquisition.

I wish I knew more about this history and purpose of this item. I'm curious why the army didn't just use an MEP-803A, and instead paid a whole bunch of money for someone to repackage a GL-11000. I'm also confused as to why they would get rid of a generator with barely any hours, and no problems that could be identified by a diesel mechanic.