• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goodyear 395/85 MVTs VS. Michelin 14:00 XLs on Bobbed Deuce

SasquatchSanta

Today I removed the 14:00 (46.7 OD) Michelin XLs from my bodded deuce www.M35MonsterTruck.com and replaced them with 395/85 (46.7 OD) Goodyear MVTs. (Updated pictures will be added soon)

WOW --- What a difference!!! It's a different truck with the MVTs!!!

The 395/85s make the truck feel more stable, they are much quieter and they ride much better. I also think the Goodyear MVTs are safer for highway driving as there is a heck of a lot more "irrigated" rubber on the road. From the looks of the MVTs I have no doubt they will perform equally well in the woods. The MTVs are also lighter and softer than the XLs

I also have a lot more noticeable torque with the 395s. I run a stock fuel pump (and probably always will) and have always felt the 49 inch diameter 14:00s where just a little too tall for the stock LDT465D.

I don't know how changing to the smaller Goodyears will effect my fuel mileage. Mathematically I gained some revs BUT, I don't seem to have to put my foot in the pump as hard as I did with the taller Michelins.

I haven't had anyone run a speed check with a chase car yet but doing the math @ 55MPH I'm now turning 2,100 RPM where with the 14:00s I was only turning 1986 RPM.
(I really hated to break out of that 2,000 RPM cruising bubble)

At 65MPH the 395s require 2483 RPM where the 14:00s only required 2347 BUT ... like I said ... I don't seem to have to put my foot in in as hard to get it to scoot as I once did.

Does anyone have any predictions as to how my fuel mileage will be effected? I usually drive between 55 & 60 (2,100 & 2,300 RPM).

I'm trying to get better mileage and driveability.

More "hard data" to follow.

devilman96

RE: Goodyear 395/85 MVTs VS. Michelin 14:00 XLs on Bobbed De

Keep the data coming... I ran all of the numbers on this months ago when I started my truck and the 395's were a 14% increase in final drive over the stock NDT's... I was getting about 9.7MPG with the NDT's with a verified top end of 63MPH at 2500 - 2600 RPM so theoretically a top end of 71 MPH and 11 MPG or so... I really don't think about MPG as much as I do range so I should be up around 1100 miles with the dual tanks if I am riding the petal hard... backing off to the LDT's fuel efficiency range of 2000RPM Im sure would increase that a good bit.

Do you have lock outs on the front axle? I am hoping they will add a little bit to the over all picture..

SasquatchSanta

Yes, I have front lock outs and I've also got a 24 volt electric radiator fan that will replace the "always on" water pump fan.

I'm in hopes the fan mod will also add fuel economy.

The fan mod is also to hopefully help the LDT heat up in the winter --- food for a seperate thread.

I can't help but believe that "tweaking" the injection pump timing could help fuel mileage.

M1075

Sasquatch- You quote the 14.00s to be 46.7 od. Is that a typo? I love the look of the MVTs. They probably perform a lot better on the road, but I think the Michelins would do better offroad. Are you on pavement most of the time?

SasquatchSanta

Oops --- Yes 46.7 was a typo --- it should have been 49.4. I hate it when I do that --- thanks for bring it up.

Yes, most of my driving is on pavement though I sometimes get into the woods. I use my deuce as a firewood, hunting & fishing and Wallmart truck.

In the winter there is lots of snow to contend with plus I drive on the lakes (ice) two or three months out of the year --- (ice fishing). I'm more concerned about pavement economy and snow & ice than mud.

M1075

Please post the pics with the Goodyear rubber. You have the best looking 4x4 I have seen.

SasquatchSanta

Here are the promised pictures of the Goodyear 395/85 MTVs that replaced the Michelin 1400 XLs.

This is the first time I've attached anything to a post --- hope it works.

Sorry --- I don't have pictures of the Michelin 1400 XLs. You can compare the difference by going to www.M35MonsterTruck.com

Attachments

jasonjc

They look like big hummer tires. The truck does look great. I may have to do that to one of mine one of these days.Maybe one of my 135's??

mudguppy

'Santa,

What wheels are those? they look like split-rings, yes? do they have the beadlock ring in them, and if so, did you have to mod them to fit that rubber?

i ask 'cause i'm still looking for wheels for my 395s....... :roll:

SasquatchSanta

Hello Mudguppy,

As I understand it, my wheels were built by taking stock M35 wheels and removing (cutting off) the outer split ring retaining area. A piece was then cut from a standard bud wheel and welded to the "cut" area on the M35 wheel. I hope this makes sense. The end product is an 11" wide (inside to inside) wheel that has the original inner disc to outer rim weld intact.

As you know --- wheels are something you don't want to cut corners on. John Tennis built the wheels on my truck. His email address is on the www.M35MonsterTruck.com website.

mudguppy

SasquatchSanta said:
...my wheels were built by taking stock M35 wheels and removing (cutting off) the outer split ring retaining area. A piece was then cut from a standard bud wheel and welded to the "cut" area on the M35 wheel....
So this means that you have a one-piece wheel (as opposed to two-piece) without a beadlock, yes? So tires have to be put on by a tire machine?? That's a big tire machine, no? Or can a truck tire shop do it?

SasquatchSanta

Hello Mudguppy,

Rdixiemiller has got it right.

My friendly tire guy looked at me like a bull looking at a ba$7ard calf when I asked him if he wanted to tackle the job --- but he went ahead and changed them anyway. Given that the wheels had recently been appart and new boots and tubes were installed (Thanks Jatonka) it was a relatively easy job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks