• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goodyear radials SUCK in the snow!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can assure you that it is not a tire problem. You have half of the trucks weight distributed over 4 tires. In other words, not enough weight on them to move. I bet it would get stuck on wet grass. Add weight or chain up one axle and see what a difference it makes. 3000# in the back and it will amaze you!

Capt.Marion

Dude, it ain't the tires. Get a working transfercase. My truck will spin the tires on flat level ground if the ground is the least bit wet or slick, w/o the front axle engaged. The yard has proof gouged into it.

rideni

I don't have these problems with slipping or sliding in deep mud in my back yard even with the front axle not engaged. On stuck dual NDTs, I only have a small HF jib boom, short heavy tow bar, tow chain, spare 9x20 tire and wheel, some camo netting, slave cable, and a bedroll in the back. I have no problem at all

tm america

i love mine in the snow i can drag my loaded car trailer through 2ft of snow even without locking in the front.maybe you got your tire pressure to high or picked up a set of old tires that have gotten hard from old age:roll:

tm america

:roll:my truck takes off and stops faster in the snow than my 4x4 dodge does i tried it on my street i locked the brakes up on both trucks and compared the skid marks on my street deuce stoped way better than the dodge and the deuce stayed straight even at full throttle when dodge was sideways even just braking the tires loose

nhdiesel

We'll see how it does when I get the t-case swapped. In reply to the last few posts- I dropped pressures as low as 5psi (tried 25, then 10, then 5). The tires aren't old...no older than several years, 2 or 3 years is more like it. This truck had a fairly fresh servicing, and all 7 tires are mint. Time will tell.

Jim

Varyag

Tried my Deuce in the snow (4 inches on the road) with 10 9x20 NDTs on it. It did alright. Only really slid trudging up my steep driveway. Didn't flip the airshift till I went out today to check the free deuce. The guy's driveway only sees tractors I think. Snow on mud. Again it just kind of did alright.

I was able to do a really awesome brodie in a field. Not all bad :p

saddamsnightmare

December 16th, 2009.

Gents:
In addition to my comments on pressure PI on ground with the super singles or tandem duals, many vehicles have done better in snow with less weight on the tires. I have seen a Model "T" depot hack with only the driver in it climb hills that FWD's would have had trouble with, and my theory was that it was the planetary transmission and the small contact area of the whatever x 30" tires that the Model "T" used (summer road tires, I might add), but the car was able to cut through to hard frozen ground with that 1 ton or so spread out over 4 tires, with only two being driven.
The deuce always had the reputation among the loggers as being unforgiving on snow or deep mud if it was too lightly loaded, as the rear end tends to "Float" and not to follow the grooves cut by the front end. I have noted that tendency out here in Texas on clean dry,but worn asphalt roads, as my rear end track widths are not the same as the over the road trucks wear grooves in the pavement, so the deuce never seems to be able to settle down on worn asphalt. She behaves perfectly on concrete sections of the same roads as the wear grooves are not as evident. Just a thought on an arcaine subject....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NHDIESEL,
Are you certain that your front brakes aren't dragging? Also, I'm not sure if you have a winch or not, but a winch will add a lot of weight hanging out front, further taking weight off your rear tires. I really think there is something wrong with the truck, not the tires. Those GoodYears should do much better than NDTs.

I drove a Deuce for almost two years in the Army while stationed in Germany with the 3rd Armored Division in 70 - 71. I very seldom had problems with the NDTs in snow, even several feet of snow, and when I did, I lowered the pressure to about 25 PSI. Often, I didn't have to engage the front axle. Another trick if you have a lot of snow and no convenient gravel is to fill the back end with snow - works great. When the weather warms up, the snow melts away and no need to empty it. This works well unless you need to haul cargo, but then you have the same problem with gravel or other ballast. When I encountered ice or snow-covered ice, the only option was chains. With chains, there was nothing stopping my Deuce. Pain to put them on though.

nhdiesel

I'm sure there are no other mechanical issues except the t-case. the front tires roll freely, the truck rolls very well on the street, and it had no issues during the 1100 mile trip home. I'm still chocking it up to all 3 things contributing, and not blaming just the tires- no weight, no front axle pulling, and the tires. If I can pull the truck out onto the road I may just go have a good bucket of snow dropped into the back to see if it will help a bit until i get the t-case in.

Jim

emr

Sorry but this is a funny post....I have said it here 100 times, its not the truck its not the tires, ...driver error is the biggest problem we all suffer from...Experience is the teacher, I will run a set of 900 ndts as far as anyone will run anything else...i have many many years of experience, bogging comps, and off roading severe for 35 years. I have runn every type of tire out there, and run with guys who have it all and go nowhere, PLEASE take this as I mean it, absolutly no disrespect, but U are learning what your truck and tires can do, they can do alot, and will, U need to feel your truck and the conditions around U, U need to walk some of the places U want to drive and feel/experience what the ground feels like and the spots u want to put your truck thru,just getting in and driving will get one stuck every time, learn to be part of the action between your clutch and your tires, it works and will take U further than ever before. they are awsome tires, very very awesome, they are real off road tires, but no tire makes a driver the driver makes the tires.all the best and good luck...

BEASTMASTER

yes, the G 286's stink. got them on my dump trl. at work , i stopped on some wet grass at coffee time and, with the axel lock and the diff lock in ,i had to get a little push from the cat loader to get moving. the tread fills up and becomes a racing slick. made for hard roads only!!!!

scooter01922

I don't know why so many of you guys are so hard on NDT's. I went and played in a foot of snow last winter with the deuce with no issues at all. I realize a foot isn't that much but with no weight in the back, tires fully aired up and the front axle not pulling i was impressed. Clicked the front in just for the **** of it and i will say the difference is night and day. With all that engine weight on it the front end just grabs and GOES. How can ya be so hard on tires that come so **** cheap??? Civvie tires for our green beasts would cost a furtune but NDT's are still cheap and plentiful and get the job done pretty well.