• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Do any of you have any opinions on those tires, and their suitably for an M1009?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you...

goodguyzy

I was going to put them on my 08 duramax 3500. Everyone I talked to said not to put them on. If you read the reviews online they say they dont handle well when towing and don't have the correct rating. I ended up going with BFG's.

CycleJay

Hello Goodguy,

Thank you for the information. Duly noted.
I have heard about the BFG TKO's, as good as they are, I have read they pick up a lot of rocks.
And where I work, the employee parking lot is completely medium sized gravel, so I would be afraid of
my tires chucking pieces of our parking lot at cars behind me, leading to death & destruction in my wake.
Every time I pull out of our parking lot at work, when I leave to go home.

MarcusOReallyus

H I would be afraid of my tires chucking pieces of our parking lot at cars behind me, leading to death & destruction in my wake.

:confused:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

:mrgreen:

Say, you might want to check into retreads by Treadwright.com

Retreads? Yeah, retreads. Apparently these are not your standard "glue a new strip of tread on an old carcass" retreads. I've been reading VERY good things about them on various 4x4 forums over the last week or so, including long-term testing. Excellent price and great performance. Plus, they offer them with a ground glass compound (optional) that makes for excellent snow & ice traction.

Planning on getting a set myself.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=www.treadwright.com

zaxcucv

Hi guys,

Do any of you have any opinions on those tires, and their suitably for an M1009?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you...
I have them on my '09. I like them. 33x12.5 w/ 2 inch lift. People say they are noisy, but that's like saying a 44 magnum is loud at an active gun range. It's louder than a 38, but come on, you are at a frickin' gun range. If you cant handle noisy you shouldn't drive an '09. I personally can barely hear them over the wind noise and the motor noise. They have decent siping for snow traction, they are good off road, they are good on road as well. You get a little vibration from the lugs at low speed but it goes away above 15 mph or so. I didn't check the load rating as mentioned above but I figured its a light truck tire and it's a light truck. But then again that poster was talking about a modern dodge with a zillion pound tow rating and modern sound insulation, so perhaps the specs work for us on an 09 that may not make sense in his application. I haven't tried towing with them, but with our nominal tow rating it may not be applicable to our trucks. Plus they look good and they balanced fairly easily.

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a set of the Duratracs on the daughters M1008. The load range for the 285 75R 16s are "E", the correct rating for the M1008, I believe the 15" Duratracs are "D", correct for the M1009. So far, I LOVE them! Easier to balance than the BFGs, wears evenly, and look better as well! So far, it looks like I will be changing to Duratracs when my old ATs need to be replaced on my 2500HD.

I have used the BFG A/Ts and M/Ts for the past 30 years and was happy with then until the past 3 years. For the past 3 years all of the A/Ts and M/Ts I have will not stay balanced and will wear erratically, 2 have had the belts slip and had to have them prorated...

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at the Walmart only Goodyear Wrangler "Authority". It is nearly the same tire as the Duratrac and costs $158.00, has good reviews. A set is going on my '09 as soon as I get it running again.

IdahoPlowboy

:confused:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

:mrgreen:

Say, you might want to check into retreads by Treadwright.com

Retreads? Yeah, retreads. Apparently these are not your standard "glue a new strip of tread on an old carcass" retreads. I've been reading VERY good things about them on various 4x4 forums over the last week or so, including long-term testing. Excellent price and great performance. Plus, they offer them with a ground glass compound (optional) that makes for excellent snow & ice traction.

Planning on getting a set myself.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=www.treadwright.com
If you think the Duratracs throw stones you are in for a real treat with the tread wrights. I have tread wright on my 1009 and my Duramax and they are great.

georgia mike

I had a set of 31x10.50 Duratracs on my '94 Wrangler a couple of years ago. They did well off road and had good on road manners, but I hated their ability to pick up small stones and hang onto them in the tread. This provided an annoying "click click click click click" at times from the stones smacking the pavement, and also the occasional shock of hearing one be ejected into the inner fenderwell while riding down the road at speed. It's a good tire for the price if you can overlook this one little annoyance. I never used them in the mud since, well, I hate mud and do whatever I can to avoid it, so YMMV there. When I went to a larger size, I went with 32x11.50 BFG MT KM-2's and haven't regretted it a bit. 2cents

CycleJay

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires

Plowboy,

But do the tread wrights throw rocks, stones, gravel?

I am disappointed to hear that BFG tko's and duratracs pick up rocks..
But it is understandable with the type of tire and tread pattern they have.

There is a local place that is having a buy 3 get 1 free sale, so I can get a great deal on tires.
But the choices they recommend and can get are either the tko's or the duratracs, I will ask them
what else they can get before getting a set then.

Thanks for all the information, and advice. I am listening, and all of it has been duly noted.

Danger Ranger

I have Duratracs on my Jeep Cherokee. I have 30"? tires on it...

- Yes they do throw rocks. No, I am not worried about it.
- They are awesome so far in the snow/ice.
- They have been sweet in the mud for me, but do even better with ample wheelspeed.
- And they handle great. Once in awhile I slip them on damp (slightly wet, and therefore oily) pavement.

Mine are for 15" rims, and they were only $150-160 a piece from Belle Tire, and were cheaper at TireRack I think, but then you have shipping...

They are wearing great, nice and even, and look awesome to me. I don't usually buy into "tire fads", you know, when a new tire comes out and everyone buys it....but my thought is that if the GoodYear Duratrac tire is good enough for Cities, towns, University fleets, and Government fleets, then it is good enough for me. I even managed to convince the father (a mechanic) about them.

The only bad thing I have heard that is even remotely close to them is about the GoodYear AUTHORITY tire; it seems that they are only for lighter trucks, 1/2ton and lighter. Everything I have read says and shows that on heavier trucks they tend to eat themselves up and/or explode. But this was the AUTHORITY, not the Duratrac.

I hope all of this helps you bud.

CycleJay

Hello Danger Ranger,

Thank you for all the information. It has been duly noted.
I suppose I would have to learn to live with them throwing rocks, or park on the pavement at work until they tell me to move my truck.
But I agree with your statement, if they are good enough for fleets. They should be good enough for you.
That is what I was thinking, and was my initial reason for going with the Goodyear's.

After all, M1009's were spec'ed with Goodyear Wrangler's when they came out in 1985.
And the Duratrac is a Goodyear Wrangler tire.

Just my $0.02 cents...

MarcusOReallyus

I think the rock throwing is just the nature of that kind of tread. I have the same where I live. Gravel driveway (1" bluestone) and roads near my house.

It just is what it is.

monkeythumbs

gfgry 019.jpgI bought some 31' Duratracs and had them on my M1009, partly because the previous owner had to replace a tire right before the auction. A guy the next town over has a 09 with 33's on it, if I had to do it all over again...I'd go with the 33's....lot more of an aggressive look. Go with the larger tires may not be an option since you'd have to have a spare in that size, or if you'd rather have a stock size tire for corectness. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

leeh725

I have personally run a set of the Treadwright retread tires on my Tahoe. They lasted 50,000 miles before I sold them. They were good tires and I never had a flat. I've also had good luck with the Cordovan Mud Claw on my F250 and F350. The M1008 and M1031s are running Firestone Transforce AT. I've had excellent luck with those.

The only thing you'll get out of this is I take good care of these tires. They get rough service on the farm, especially this time of the year. Frankly, I get as good of service out of the no-name tires as I do the name brand.

donalloy1

I went with the BFG KM2 33 x 10.5 and I am very pleased! Have 9.5" clearance on center of diffs, sing a little 45-55, do not pick up/throw rocks, wearing well, no rubbing off raod articulated with OEM suspension and they look GREAT! Wish they were not so expensive. Still very very happy with them though. My .02....

Happyland1410

So far I am really happy with the 315/75R16 Duratracs on my F350. I originally had BFG AT's (295/75R16) that lasted for an amazing 63,770 miles. I liked the BFG's but I wanted a bigger tire with a slightly more aggressive tread. They both pick up small rocks but it seems that the Duratracs pick up slightly larger rocks.

f350_bfg.jpgf350_duratrac.jpg

CycleJay

Hi guys...

I finally got a set of the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs today (Sat. Dec. 29th,2012).. Pics will follow soon.
So far they ride great and look good..

Just my $0.02 cents...

Danger Ranger

Yup, I had BFG TA/KO tires before my Duratracs. They were actually louder and picked up rocks also. Mine were not the Rugged Trail or whatever comes on new trucks nowadays...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks