• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gooseneck hitch mounts? Pics?

davo727

I have a 85 M1028 and need a gooseneck hitch on it.

Anybody have pics where the hitch mounts to the frame and what kind of reinforcing plates and crossmembers are used? Commercial or homemade please.

Does it have to be bolted to the frame or ? Welded ok or is that a no-no?

I have looked at aftermarket and nobody even lists anything that old.

Thanks, Dave

crazyplowboy

I have one of those B&W turnover hitches in my pickup, they are wonderful. You can turn it over so you can still haul plywood and things of the sort without the ball sticking up in the middle of the bed.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to the local steel bar company and bought a 1"x10"x4' steel bar. I drilled a 1.25" hole at centered 24" and centered it at 4" front to back. This put ball near perfect over center axle. I unbolted/loosened the bed floor bolts, raised the bed a little, and slid this under the bed between the floor supports over the rear axle. I welded in place. Then I ran my 1.25" hole saw up through the hole in the plate and bed floor for the ball shank. I used a ball with 2"riser with an inch machined off the base to match shank size to allow full pass through of the 1"thick steel bar. I bolted the ball down tight and then welded the nut to the plate. I faced off 2 sides of the riser to allow good grip for large wrench. I removed the ball when I needed to haul flats in the truck.

dependable

Will try to post picts of the two I have . One is modified 1028a1 this is a dump truck with a hole in the bed blocked by wood plank, The hoist frame was put on backwards to accomidate gooseneck. This was done by prevoius owner.. one is 2500 dodge pickup with pro installed hitch, just bought from horse person. The picture does not show it, but it is attached to frame with a cross member and bolted on renforcements to frame.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks