• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gooseneck hitch on a 5 ton

rickpolak1

Good morning, this is a log shot but was curious if anyone has fabricated a gooseneck style hitch to the rear of their 5 ton? Being a M936A1 wrecker, I know it cant sit over the axles as intended but was curious if it might be possible to fabricate and mount to the rear of the truck. Hoping someone has done this before and might be able to give me some ideas. Trying not to have to purchase any more trailers.

Thank you for any responses!
Rick

Last edited:

moparrob

I've given this some thought, and I think one could make a custom tow bar that would work for a gooseneck. I envisioned a 3-4" tube with a pintle ring on one end (engaging the pintle hook) and a plate with the gooseneck ball at the other end. This would be supported by the two recovery ring brackets on the end of the frame and two smaller rods connecting to the gooseneck hitch plate. The assembly would resemble a triangle much like the GI tow bar, only with a third vertical support member. If the tubes were made so that the gooseneck ball was about 4' from the back of the rig, you could easily tow and maneuver any trailer, and most gooseneck loads would be fine even that far behind the axles, especially in a 936. If screwjacks were used at the ends of the upper rods, you could tighten the whole thing up so that there's no play in the pintle hook connection also.

162tcat

I've given this some thought, and I think one could make a custom tow bar that would work for a gooseneck. I envisioned a 3-4" tube with a pintle ring on one end (engaging the pintle hook) and a plate with the gooseneck ball at the other end. This would be supported by the two recovery ring brackets on the end of the frame and two smaller rods connecting to the gooseneck hitch plate. The assembly would resemble a triangle much like the GI tow bar, only with a third vertical support member. If the tubes were made so that the gooseneck ball was about 4' from the back of the rig, you could easily tow and maneuver any trailer, and most gooseneck loads would be fine even that far behind the axles, especially in a 936. If screwjacks were used at the ends of the upper rods, you could tighten the whole thing up so that there's no play in the pintle hook connection also.
This would likely attract the attention of commercial vehicle enforcement and would be a huge liability if you were in any sort of an accident or any of the components failed.. I would only try something like this for use off highway around the farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pandawelding

i know this post is quite a few months old but if you are still looking for info we have a 5ton wrecker that we swapped the wrecker bed out for the cargo bed on and installed a flip over style gooseneck right over the axles in the center of the cargo bed and it works great. i can post up some pictures and details if you are still interested.

charlesmann

i was wondering the same thing, how to fab a gn hitch sys for the 936. my former employer uses fuel trucks and trailers and the dolly axle has a rotating ring so the trailer tank pivots on the ring, and pivots at the pintle point. i was thinking of modding something similar, but instead of the just the trailer pivoting over the axle, the axel pivots during a turn, and add some form of limiter for the pintle tongue, so the tongue would become rigid, yet the axle would still follow suit in a turn, then either put a gn plate/ball, or swap out the gn inner tube, for 5th wheel inner tube. a former soldier i had while in 4id at hood, used to work for a company that fabricated a similar setup that coupled onto the gn ball, and pinned in the class 5 rcvr hitch and added a 10,000 lb increase in weight hauling.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
i was wondering the same thing, how to fab a gn hitch sys for the 936. my former employer uses fuel trucks and trailers and the dolly axle has a rotating ring so the trailer tank pivots on the ring, and pivots at the pintle point. i was thinking of modding something similar, but instead of the just the trailer pivoting over the axle, the axel pivots during a turn, and add some form of limiter for the pintle tongue, so the tongue would become rigid, yet the axle would still follow suit in a turn, then either put a gn plate/ball, or swap out the gn inner tube, for 5th wheel inner tube. a former soldier i had while in 4id at hood, used to work for a company that fabricated a similar setup that coupled onto the gn ball, and pinned in the class 5 rcvr hitch and added a 10,000 lb increase in weight hauling.
Wrecker rear has a large reinforcement where the rear winch fairlead is. This would allow you to add a ball onto the top of it in place of the d ring anchor

charlesmann

Wrecker rear has a large reinforcement where the rear winch fairlead is. This would allow you to add a ball onto the top of it in place of the d ring anchor

that is WAY to high for my gn. id have to put a lift kit on my trailer to get it to couple that high. or build another outer tube and weld a cap on the inner tube to keep water from pooling at the coupler. but it an option. ill back up to the trailer when i get back home in 12 days and take possession of the trucks. id rather not have to have to build outer tubes, reinforce the 12" i-beam with some 1/2" plate on both side and bolt/unbolt depending which truck i was pulling with.
but that is why im thinking of getting 20' 20-30k pintle equipment hauling trailer, and just leave the gn for my 1 tn. not sure yet though. iv got plenty of metal and 4" drill pipe to build outer tubes and strengthen the neck. what i don't have is, plenty of franklins to buy a couple more trailer (12yd dumping pup tailer).

charlesmann

i was thinking of getting something like this https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/...3,c|2706,mode|2&rr=0.14286&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

cutting the axle frame from the dolly frame, welding on a plate to the axle frame and the dolly frame. then installing a ball bearing turn table between the 2 frames. installing limiter bars from the truck tow shackles to the dolly frame and limiter chains on the axle frame to prevent the axle from trying caster sideways while backing. then either changing out the inner gn tube to the 5th wheel tube, or getting the ball to kingpin adapter.

thoughts? foolish to attempt, semi-mostly practical?

if linked pages are not allowed, i'll attempt to save the pics, then upload the pics. my laptop is acting stupid, as if i had dial up internet and running on 512mb of ram, instead of the 8 gigs i have installed. trying to limp it till i get home at the end of the month.

Lukes_deuce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks