• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gooseneck?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i have seen some custom goose necks that were a lot higher then standard, i have also seen goosenecks set up to be pulled by a standard 5th wheel, in that case a deuce tractor would work

ProJunkRacing

I wouldn't mind a deuce tractor but I am worried that a deuce tractor is A harder to find , and B more costly expense's . But not to sure yet , looking for a truck and would like to use a goose.

jeli

I've seen std semi tractors with a ball mounted behind the 5th wheel. Most of them look like the ball is set between the frame rails or the mounting plate is below the frame not on top.

alphadeltaromeo

I've thought about this in the past and I believe if you did get a deuce, you could take the bed off and purchase a 5th wheel hitch for it. GL has the hitches from time to time and they are relatively inexpensive (less than 200 from what I recall). It would pull really well with the longer wheel base. I think it would make a great tractor.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i knew some end dump truckers in cal. that had 5th wheel rvs with standard kingpins instead ball receviers, on a long turm job, thay would bring there end dump trailer down, drop it , then go back and get there rv with the tractor, then pull the rv to a local rv park

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
my buddies in florida modified a gooseneck to be pulled behind a gmc 4500 top kick pickup that was close to the same bed height of a deuce. the only bad part about moddin the trailer is you cant hook it to another truck unless its as high. kinda good way to keep your buddies from borrowing it though

ProJunkRacing

MUDLORD said:
my buddies in florida modified a gooseneck to be pulled behind a gmc 4500 top kick pickup that was close to the same bed height of a deuce. the only bad part about moddin the trailer is you cant hook it to another truck unless its as high. kinda good way to keep your buddies from borrowing it though
Modified in what way? What is the measurement to the top of the frame rail on your deuce?

Height of bedfloor? Thanks.

My point is I want to pull it with a 2wd F250 , and the deuce.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't measured my bed or sides on my deuce but I can tell you there is going to be a big difference in a F250 and a M35. I'm going to guess about 2 feet. Only way I see you could do it is with a high neck and the tube that has the hitch on it is going to have to have alot of adjustment. It's going to look funny with the neck high enough for your deuce when you pull it with your F250 in my opinion.

I think I know what you're trying to do and I've done the same thing. You're trying to justify buying a deuce. I'd buy the duece and pull the gooseneck with the F250 if it were me :) .

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
ProJunkRacing said:
MUDLORD said:
Modified in what way? What is the measurement to the top of the frame rail on your deuce?

Height of bedfloor? Thanks.

My point is I want to pull it with a 2wd F250 , and the deuce.
they modded the trailer by chopping off the gooseneck at the uprights and basically sticking it on top of the uprights. this lifted the height of the tounge whatever the measurement of the i beams were. it would prolly have then been too tall to use with a pickup. i would think in order to make the tounge work with a deuce and a 2wd ford, you would have to make different couplers. one stocker for the trailer and the deuce and one modified long one to slip in when you run the trailer with the ford. with most goosenecks having 2 set bolts to hold a height adjustment this shouldnt be too hard to make work with a modified gooseneck

halftrack

Even with this setup and the adjustment on the highest level, the trailer was still too high and I was dragging the tail of the trailer. I still would have to come down another foot and a half to make it right. Yes, I know it is a five ton, but expect the same troubles with a M35.

Attachments

Blythewoodjoe

Get a drop side bed and put the ball down as low as possible and you will avoid most the trouble. It's just a matter of having enough clearance over the bed. I was going to put a ball under my bob deuce but the dump hoist is in the way. That was the main reason I made the sides of my bed removable. You might also need a very long neck. My trailer I pull every day has a very long neck and that's great because I work from the trailer with my material so there is a lot of walking around the trailer.

One more thing, you will need some long jacks for a backhoe or something to lower the hitch down into the hole in the bed.