• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a Deuce! '62 M35A1

dmetalmiki

You know what, With all your perceverance and efforts you deserve a result. Keep trying you might just get a ride round the yard before too long. Guess there is no brakes though?. Hope you get to have some fun before you (have to?) part it out. Good luck.

Another Ahab

You know what, With all your perceverance and efforts you deserve a result. Keep trying you might just get a ride round the yard before too long. Guess there is no brakes though?. Hope you get to have some fun before you (have to?) part it out. Good luck.
Nobody can say you aren't trying.

Whole lot of wheels already invented in the older threads:

- Have you checked back into older threads for some ideas?

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Thanks for the well wishes.

Yeah I was up reading until the wee hours last night and last week, not to say I havent missed anything.

I took the pressure regulator valve apart again and smoothed up the plunger and stretched the spring from an inch and 3/4 to 2 inches long and put it back together. Now I get 40 psi with the gauge on the filter housing with the electric pump but it doesn't come up any higher when I run the starter and crank it to actuate the high-pressure pump. Strange, because if I dead head the high-pressure pump to a gauge, I get 200 psi. If I'm not mistaken at idle it only needs about 30 PSI to run, so it seems like it ought to run. I'm kicking around the idea of bypassing the regulator and just going full pop to the hyd head.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

High pressure straight to the FDC, one injector line disconnected. Line gave regular little squirts while cranking, but pretty weak and no fire. Gonna try bypassing the FDC.

DavidWymore

Well, I ran the high-pressure pump to the tee that used to be on the fuel density compensator and put a gauge on one leg of the tee and the other leg to the hydraulic head. Ran it on gas for a minute or two and it never caught. Gauge only read 40 psi from the electric pump, no more from the booster pump when cranking or running on gas . Strange as it gives 200psi by itself when dead-headed to the gauge. Maybe the valve on the return side of the HH is not retaining the pressure...?

I noticed that when it's running on alt. fuel source, the shut off rod wants to drift towards the firewall but when I move the accelerator rod it moves back forwards. I couldn't get it to catch with any kind of fiddling while running, but I did notice that the fourth injector got wet around the outside even with the line tight, so maybe it was getting pressure...? The fifth injector line was off and it was still just spitting a little bit.
It's getting late so I was packing up to go home and decided to crank it one more time on a whim from the passenger side. When I cranked it, I noticed smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe and a "boompa boompa" noise....so either it's burning oil that it sucked in running on gas or its almost running on its own, maybe trying to fire on one cylinder. Tried cranking it again for a while and no joy. :-(

Last edited:

rustystud

Sounds like your on to something with the pressure regulator at the filters. If your fuel pump will put out 200PSI then you should have 60 PSI at the filters feeding the injection pump. Now if your injection pump is not working then you will not get any fluid to the injectors. Another thing you could check for is algae growth in the injection pump itself. There are literally 100's of posts about the injection pump, so you should have no problem finding information about checking the injection pump.
I have to ask though. With all the problems your truck has, why are you spending so much effort trying to get this old beast running ?

DavidWymore

I bypassed the regulator and filters completely and went straight to the HH, didn't run, but might be improving, smoke out the exhaust.

I talked to a buddy last night and he pointed out a that I ought to do a flow/GPM test, not just a pressure test. I never have checked the inframe primary filter (dummy) and it may be all plugged up, being the first one in the system. Maybe I'm not getting enough volume.

If that doesn't get me anywhere, I'll pull the HH off and see what I can see, though the plunger was plunging. Don't know how much it's supposed to travel though...?

Why? - Mostly just because my Deuce Fever has flared up, and once I get started at something, I can't quit until I figure it out.

My "logic" is that if I part it, it's worth more if it runs, which it kinda does, just not off it's own fuel system. If the problem is just something silly like a plugged up filter and I can get it to run for free, I might keep it and play around with it. I don't have the play money to buy a decent deuce right now, matter of fact I really need to sell this and some other junk to pay for other crap I've already bought. (Anyone want a low miles '87 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban? :-D)

One thing is for sure though, one way or another...I'm gonna have a 6x6. :smile: Big sentimental value there with my dad having mil vehs as a kid, and this big desert playground I live in the middle of. I may even inherit his someday, but it's up in WA and been sitting as long or longer than this one, and is probably rusted away to nothing.

DavidWymore

Gives me half a mind to put a flange on the intake tube and turn it into a draw though turbo carburetor setup, haha!

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

What were you running it off of? I couldn't tell in the video.
By the way, props to you for getting that thing running. That is one of the roughest looking multifuels I've seen yet.

DavidWymore

What were you running it off of? I couldn't tell in the video.
By the way, props to you for getting that thing running. That is one of the roughest looking multifuels I've seen yet.
Machine shop coolant sprayer siphoning gasoline instead of coolant. :cookoo::cool:

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Tonight I disconnected the fuel injector return line and cranked it without the electric pump running. Got weak flow out of the HH but nothing out of the 1/4" inj return line.

Cleaned the primary filter, which I should have done in the first place. It was dirty, but not horrible. I was getting good flow through it with the elec pump.

I also removed the cap, spring and plunger from the release valve downstream (left or front side) of the HH and ran the elec pump for a sec to flush it just in case.

Next I capped off the return line to the tank, and ran the elec pump (50psi) and cranked it (200psi+) into the HH. Just spits out the injector lines. So I know the booster pump works at least some, makes pressure if not much volume, and I am now pretty sure the HH is bad. If it's not injecting with that much pressure dead-headed into it, something must be wrong

Wish I know how much the plunger is supposed to plunge. Anyway, it's coming off tomorrow after work to see what I can see.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

David, there are already numerous threads on troubleshooting the deuce fuel system... And there honestly isn't all that much to a no start scenario. 95% on it being the HH button.

DavidWymore

David, there are already numerous threads on troubleshooting the deuce fuel system... And there honestly isn't all that much to a no start scenario. 95% on it being the HH button.
Yeah, well I feel like an idiot then. :oops: I like to think I'm smarter than the average bear, but obviously I should have just listened to you in the first place and gone straight for the button. aua I just wanted to understand how it all worked and make sure it wasn't something simpler first I guess.

I started reading the TMs, and they were all idiot level stuff, took me a while to find the good stuff. There is good info in the forum, but it is scattered, and much of the reading is just wading through useless stuff. My thought was one concise thread with no other posts, or a video that works through the system from tank to injectors with what and how to check along the way. That's basically what I've done, the hard way. I guess I'm savvy enough with how things work to figure it all out, but it would have been REALLY nice to have someone just go over it all and explain it (in person).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks