• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a Deuce! '62 M35A1

Another Ahab

So...I'm supposed to go tomorrow and pick up a $200.00 bed a few hours away. They did have a cab for same $ and have fenders too. But I'm hanging up on the originality thing. If I'm gonna bust my rear on this thing for a year, I kinda want it halfway orginal, even if it's kinda rough. Ach, sentiment. I'm also afraid to rip both trucks all apart and then run out of gas. I wonder if I shouldn't do a "driving restomod". One thing at a time with some drive time between to keep motivation up.
We'll all help you to "keep on keepin' on":

- It's a great project, DW

And it'll be extra great when you get it to where you want it to be:

truckin.jpg

DavidWymore

That's a right pretty spot where you're living; nice looking land out that way.
That's not where I live, that's halfway home. I live in a big desert. Soon it will be triple digits during the day and 90s at night. I'll spend The rest of the summer in front of the swamp cooler in the shop with the deuce.

DavidWymore

I gotta figure out which way to take my pictures with my phone so they post upright, sorry.

I was just gonna get the bed, but I found out the donor was a USMC A1, so I can call it "original" and the cab price came down to "too good to pass up", saved me hours/days of fixing my cab rust.

It was a great weekend trip, maybe I'll go post a thread about it in "conversations".

I gotta get crackin' on brakes and get this beast out of the shop before I have a mutiny.

Despite my "original" bent, I keep getting the idea to shorten it up and make a tractor out of it. I expect I'll be using it for towing a bit, could build my propelled trailer out of the bed. Those Military Guys told m they make such trailers for 900 series 5 tons.

The benefits of going tractor would be lighter weight and better turning radius and better fit through and around corners in the canyons in the desert and around town. Downside is no people hauling in said desert...

Registration gentleman I talked to is an MV guy, said he'd keep the orig frame, so shortening wouldn't be too big of a deal on top of cutting the reinforcements off.

DavidWymore

Didn't get a lot done tonight. Got interrupted and not working as late. Just brought in spare rear axles and pulled off tires and spring/dogbone mounts, robbing brake parts off them tomorrow. Since the front axle is so rough, I may swap it for the complete front axle from the donor truck, waiting see which frame to register.

Might convert wheel brgs to oil lube per steve6x6x6, need to research.

Got a line on another rear spring, last major part I need besides dogbone ends. Still need quite a bit of brake job small parts.

Looks like I might have some buddies who are into flipping tires for Crossfit come help me flip/dismount/remount some tires for a reason other than just fitness. :)

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Front backing plates come off with spindle bolts, making it easy to remove them for cleaning, rears are riveted on...might change to bolts...

rustystud

Didn't get a lot done tonight. Got interrupted and not working as late. Just brought in spare rear axles and pulled off tires and spring/dogbone mounts, robbing brake parts off them tomorrow. Since the front axle is so rough, I may swap it for the complete front axle from the donor truck, waiting see which frame to register.

Might convert wheel brgs to oil lube per steve6x6x6, need to research.

Got a line on another rear spring, last major part I need besides dogbone ends. Still need quite a bit of brake job small parts.

Looks like I might have some buddies who are into flipping tires for Crossfit come help me flip/dismount/remount some tires for a reason other than just fitness. :)
Does "steve6x6x6" have some conversion system to make the hubs oil instead of grease ? I thought he turned the whole axle on a lathe. Would be nice if he did have a conversion system or kit.

Jeepsinker

About a case of brake parts cleaner per wheel is what you really need for a brake job on our trucks. You might have to cross a border to get it though. Most brake parts cleaner is prohibited for sale in Cali because of the yuppies and treehuggers.

DavidWymore

Yeah, I figured as much, don't want to spend the $ on all the cleaner if I don't have to.

I tried dropping the front hub without the drum in the parts cleaner, too big, maybe if I knock out the studs and remove the adapter, but probably more work that it's worth.

A guy could probably use dish soap and water in a spray bottle with a brush and some elbow grease for the backing plates in a pinch.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Ahab, this may interest you...when the ceramic rocks get worn out, they get small and get stuck in everything, need new rocks.

Also, the tumbler does a good job of removing civvy paint and keeping the tough OD. Too bad I can't tumble my whole truck.