• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a Deuce! '62 M35A1

DavidWymore

Minions fishing clean parts out of the scrubber.

IMG_8357.jpg

Before :
IMG_8348.jpg

After: Spray bottle, broom, compressed air, rags, not bad. Can't decide if or with what to paint the internals. It's all getting assembled with Never-Seez for sure...

IMG_8353.jpg

Lots of the parts look "new" but installed dry, no grease or anything and then got wet and rusty.
IMG_8352.jpg

Half of the rear shoe retainers are farm brew. Stripped down on of my bent/torched up housings for parts. Went much faster, just unbolted everything from the back of the backing plate and knocked it all off.
IMG_8346.jpg

One adjuster had string seals/oil retainers? Rest are felt...
IMG_8351.jpg

Check out that awesome no-penetration-and-then-grind-it-off welding.

IMG_8354.jpg

...you can also see the nail I trashed slamming it in the door. I smash my fingers every so often working, but MAN, that one hurt! Busted it right across the root. Not nearly as bad as poor 'sinker is prolly hurtin', though, sorry buddy!

Parts coming in from Erik's Monday, and I have almost all my parts here clean and ready to assemble, for the rear anyway. Still not sure whether I'm gonna rebuild the front axle or just swap it out. The swap candidate needs boots anyway...

rustystud

My father was a carpenter and I would help him out at times. Once I hit my thumb with a 22oz framing hammer (with the waffle pattern on the head) . Blood shot-out all over the place and I was not a "happy camper" !!! He told me and I quote "That will feel better once it stops hurting" . At this I said "WHAT the H*LL are you talking about ?!?!? that doesn't make sense ! He said " I got you to stop thinking about your thumb didn't I " . So to this day when someone does something along those same lines I say " That will feel better once it stops hurting" .

Another Ahab

...you can also see the nail I trashed slamming it in the door. I smash my fingers every so often working, but MAN, that one hurt! Busted it right across the root. Not nearly as bad as poor 'sinker is prolly hurtin', though, sorry buddy!
My father was a carpenter and I would help him out at times. Once I hit my thumb with a 22oz framing hammer

My feelings for Jeepsinker (and both of you all), because I crushed my thumb once also, years ago working as a carpenter (alone, which was my own mistake). The thumb healed and works now, but it "ain't pretty" (it works though, and that's all I really care about).

Life as an ape without a working opposable thumb is no fun (zippers, buttons, shoelaces, pulling on socks, skivvies, pants......toilet paper). The things you normally never give a thought.

And of course it was my right hand (I'm right-handed). I was powerfully humbled by that adventure, and glad it's behind me. The one plus, I guess, was I became more-or-less ambidextrous as an outcome of the whole episode.

You never miss the water, 'til your well runs dry.

well.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Maybe I missed it in the TM, is there supposed to be oil on the felt washers?
This is the old style of keeping the brake shoes free at the anchor pin. The felts would come saturated with grease and this would keep the other parts from freezing up with rust. In todays modern world we use "Anti-Seize". I still would use the felts if you can get them. I would use a silicone based lubricant with PTFE like "Tri-Flow" on the felts.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As stated, I soak mine in grease, works good for me. I service my brakes and bearings after I go mudding every time, so I'm in there a lot.

DavidWymore

As stated, I soak mine in grease, works good for me. I service my brakes and bearings after I go mudding every time, so I'm in there a lot.
Hats off to you, I hope to never do this again, or at least not for a long time.

I'll soak the felts and coat everything else with Never Seez.

Have one outer bearing race loose in the bore, gotta salvage another hub from one of the bent axles. `

DavidWymore

image.jpgimage.jpg Fire, brimstone, violence, and....cornflakes. Pretty much a waste of time.

EDIT for explanation: had to weld nuts on the ends of those bolts because the heads were rusted off from sitting in the alkali (salt) dirt for ~30 years. We're in a dry desert in the Imperial Valley here, but it all used to be a sea, so it's salty, and when you do get some water, you get rust. You can see it even ate into the axle flange and hub.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

Wow, you are having too darn much fun!

Once you've gone in and got it all right, its real quick and "easy" to do service on them later.

DavidWymore

I was stupid and thought I could rob some parts from the other end of the bent rear axle. Should have known it would be too rusted up. Gotta pull another off the front tomorrow.

I gotta clean the hubs and pull the drums and drill and tap for jacking bolts and it should be much easier next time. Right now I'm just trying to get the rears rolling and then figure out the front.

I dont guess I posted it here, but the front diff is sloppy rotationally. All my others move less than 3/4" measured from a home flange bolt hole to the spring pack or backing plate, the front rotates close to and inch I think. I want to keep the original axle in the truck as a matter of pride, that it's original, and that I rebuilt it...haven't dug into the TMs yet, but what might be involved in getting the slop adjusted out? Or is it not a big deal?

Thanks

DavidWymore

Something else that makes me nervous that I noticed tonight...I started it up since it hasn't run in a couple weeks I guess and noticed that until the oil pressure comes up, I can hear what might be a slight knocking...barely. Normal?

gimpyrobb

If you haven't tested the injectors, I'd bet its an injector knock.

When you say the axle is sloppy, you talking about the pinion? Where the drive shaft connects?

DavidWymore

I haven't gotten to the injectors yet. Why would they knock til the oil pressure came up?

Yes, rotational pinion slop. Lemme see if I can find video...

gimpyrobb

My video player didn't show any movement, but I could hear it in the audio. Looking into it sooner than later would be a good idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks