• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a few problems. Please help.

JTugwell

Problem #1. Does anybody know exactly where the vin number on the frame is supposed to be? I know its under one of the front fender wells, but i cant seem to find it. I cant get it registered in Florida with out identifying the number on the frame. If I cant find it I have to get a court order to get on assigned to it. from what i hear that is a nightmare.

Problem #2. When i was driving back from the DMV it started making almost a loud slapping noise while in 5th gear around 40 mph. when i pushed in the clutch this went away. It has done this once before, but very briefly. now it seems to do it on a more regular basis. i have no idea how to diagnose, but i would figure its the transmission because its done funny things since the day i got it. for example: while stopped sometimes it will make a loud groaning noise. when it does this the only gear you can get it in is 4th. going to rev, or 1st grinds terribly, and it just will not go into 2nd,3rd, or 5th. put it in 4th roll it forward a little then you can get it into shif normal. even after doing this when you go to reverse it will still grind. if you put a little pressure on the stick going into reverse you can actually feel something slowing down and then it will slide right into gear. I guess the question is where do i get a transmission? or does anybody think i should check anything else first? thanks so much for the help. sorry for all the technical words like slapping, and groaning. i dont know how else to describe.

Blood_of_Tyrants

1. Look on the outside of the left frame rail just in front of the front tire. You should be able to see it inside the wheel well.

2. Adjust your clutch. It sounds like you are not fully releasing the clutch when you shift. Look in the TM under the "Resources" link above on how to do it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, if you just bought it, I suggest contacting the seller. If you are regularly experiencing the problem, chances are it was happening before you got it. If you don't get any satisfaction there, contact John Winslow (252-883-2509)...he will have a transmission for you.

The VIN # is located under the driver's side fender on the frame. You probably will need to scrap off some paint.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For number one it is the driver's side under front fender on the frame rail. It may take a boat load of cleaning to make it visible.

For number two one of the transmission experts can chime in.

Good luck.

goldneagle

The vin should be under the driver side fender either above or in front of the tire. It may be covered in layers of paint. You can either scrape the paint off or use a chemical stripper to remove the paint and expose the vin. You can alway clean of the spot later and repaint it.

There may be a problem with your transmission. You can check the oil in the tranny to see if water got in there or the fluid level is low.

JTugwell

Man, if you just bought it, I suggest contacting the seller. If you are regularly experiencing the problem, chances are it was happening before you got it. If you don't get any satisfaction there, contact John Winslow (252-883-2509)...he will have a transmission for you.

The VIN # is located under the driver's side fender on the frame. You probably will need to scrap off some paint.
well ive had it for a month, and have put around 500 miles on it. if i bought it from a car lot your right. id be hounding them to death. i trust who i bought it from. i knew getting into it that it would probably be a money pit. especially since i have already spend more than i paid for it in parts. lol. what sucks is we have been working so hard on it to get it ready to go to an off road park for the 4th axle seals, new boots, torque rods ect. then this happens, so i guess thats shot. taking the jeep. thanks so much for the responses. ill start scraping paint.

I have a very early manufactured deuce ( #94). The VIN is stamped at the same location as stated on the frame rail, but on the co-drivers side.

You might want to check that, if you don't find it on the drivers side.

Cheers,
Mark

2Deuces wild

First adjust the clutch, Then drain the trans, Add 1 gallon of dextron 3 , Put transfer case in neutral and start it up, Put in first let it run for 30 to 40 minutes at idle. then drain , Add new 80-90. Change transfer case oil to. Then test drive. This made mine work much better. Cleaned the crude out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The VIN could also be located in front of the left front spring hangar if its an old repowered gasser.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a very early manufactured deuce ( #94). The VIN is stamped at the same location as stated on the frame rail, but on the co-drivers side.

You might want to check that, if you don't find it on the drivers side.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark is correct. If it's an early truck it could be on the passenger side. I'd look there if you don't have any luck on the drivers side.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wiped some dirt off part of the VIN on my M35 for this pic. Located left front wheelwell behind the power assist hoses.

Attachments

JTugwell

First adjust the clutch, Then drain the trans, Add 1 gallon of dextron 3 , Put transfer case in neutral and start it up, Put in first let it run for 30 to 40 minutes at idle. then drain , Add new 80-90. Change transfer case oil to. Then test drive. This made mine work much better. Cleaned the crude out.

thanks everybody! i just got home last night, so today ive started looking for the vin number. im also letting the engine idle as we speak with ATF in the transmission. in a few minutes ill go drain it, and fill it with the right oil and take it for a ride. fingers crossed that is. :roll: thanks again for the help. ill let you know the outcome.

JTugwell

well i gave it a shot. unfortunately it didnt fix it. as far as the noise that i thought was the transmission goes....when it did it again i pushed in the clutch, and put the trans in neutral. still got the noise, so now im back to square one. i think what im gonna do is just drive it to that off road park this weekend. its 80 miles one way, and just keep my fingers crossed. if something blows up at least then ill know what the problem was. ill just get AAA put on it, and roll on. :roll:

jimm1009

Vin

One of my trucks had it just forward of the upper L/H shock mount and the other was just aft of the reinforcing plate for the steering gearbox but both were on the vertical portion of the frame in the left wheel well.
If you find the VIN you may find a frame date too. This is not the actually build date of the truck (although I used it) but the frame hardening date. It will help you verify the vin to the extent of the VIN having the "contracted date" incorporated in it.
I found the numbers and frame date and then repainted all the green on the frame except over the numbers and painted that area with three coats of clear enamel so that it would be protected but yet still visible in case I needed it for the police check.
Jim :-D

JTugwell

One of my trucks had it just forward of the upper L/H shock mount and the other was just aft of the reinforcing plate for the steering gearbox but both were on the vertical portion of the frame in the left wheel well.
If you find the VIN you may find a frame date too. This is not the actually build date of the truck (although I used it) but the frame hardening date. It will help you verify the vin to the extent of the VIN having the "contracted date" incorporated in it.
I found the numbers and frame date and then repainted all the green on the frame except over the numbers and painted that area with three coats of clear enamel so that it would be protected but yet still visible in case I needed it for the police check.
Jim :-D

thanks ill check on that. here is what im worried about though. i got it in Alabama. it was registered in AL, but not titled. (they don't require titling on something that old) i have to have a title in florida. to get a title i have to provide a bill of sale, and the most current alabama reg. i have them both. what im worried about is im just about 100% positive the vin # on the frame will not match the vin number on the alabama reg. so i got that feeling that will cause some problems. all somebody does at the tag office is walk out there and say "show me a vin number." ive got half a mind to go get a stamp kit and stamp a vin number on it to match. most people down here dont have a clue what that is anyway. i could probably get away with it. the whole prision thing scares me though. or if i get caught i could always do the responsible thing.....act dumb, and deny deny deny.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks