• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a little carried away with some DOT reflective tape and my M923A2

PWM

The weather has been so unseasonably warm lately I decided to get outside and do a cheap modification to my M923A2 for better low light visibility. I have always worried about being rear ended because some half asleep driver didn't see my truck at night. I broke out a roll of DOT reflective tape and went to work. I sanded the areas smooth that I was putting the tape on to hopefully promote better adhesion,time will tell on that. It may not be the greatest looking backside of a truck but It makes me feel better driving at night. As soon as money allows I will be adding more running lights to the back of my truck, but for now this will have to work. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

Artisan

I wonder if there is like maybe GREEN and YELLOW Conspicuity tape?
I wonder if it HAS to be just red and white?

Or Green and White
Or Yellow and White

Artisan

I found a bunch of different reflective tape colors searching on e-bay.
Indeed they can be found but there is a FMVSS Spec on conspicuity tape I do believe.
If it is not to spec, it mind as well not be there at all. To many laws, impossible
for any one man to keep abreast of it all, well, except DOGHEAD, the man
has a walking photographic memory! :)

I just wrote the folks at www.lightweights.com that 85CUCVtom linked us to above
and I asked them to tell me which products they sell are FMVSS approved...
They have a LOT of very cool stuff. We shall see what they say. If other colors
are acceptable it might be nice...

I would LOVE to find some reflex tape that is precut to fit West Coast Style
rear view mirrors, I mean some Reflex stickers shaped like the Chevrons
we have on our mirrors.

quickfarms

Be very careful with the tape.

It should only be applied in accordance with the DOT regulations in the specified locations using the approved color combination.

To much will make you a target for the impaired.

There was a highway study started by one of the state police agencies that the governor of that state cancelled it because of the number of accidents.

tim292stro

I second what Quickfarms says about too much.

The pictures in the first post (OP), seem to me to be confusing what I'm looking at. The DOT conspicuity rules focus on the rear outline. For side reflective, you need to think about how high the headlights are to react with the tape - mount it too high and someone close won't even likely see it. Keeping it under 48" high I think was the suggestion, which would just about be on some of your lower frame-rails for 5-ton-ers.

I've been looking at mounting 3M 2" fluorescent yellow-green DOT-C2 tape to magnetic sheeting of the same width to a 686A (Fed 33446) tan vehicle. This way it's removable, but very visible both day-time and night time. My current pickup has a simple 2" DOT-C2 white stripe low in the stamped factory body line (to match the vehicle color), and a 1" L along the top of the door frame to make it easier to pick out the shape of the vehicle. I used to have more on there, but I found that too much made it too "busy" and harder to interpret what it was that was reflecting all of that light. Simpler is better...
far.jpg
near.jpg

Last edited:

PWM

I didn't do any measurements I just roughly followed what is on most of the commercial dump trucks around here . It may not be the perfect arrangement but it is better than nothing until I can get some lights installed.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks