• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a new deuce and now it won't start

AzBuckfever

So, we just got 2 new deuces yesterday, and they drove over 400 miles. Went to start the M36A2 this morning and the power turns on (accessory switch/air buzzes) but the truck wont crank. Almost like an electrical issue.

Any quick ideas would be greatly appreciated. Right now we have a charger hooked up to see if perhaps the batteries are already drained, but if that doesn't work....then what? Batteries are also new.

Thanks.

P.S. Once fixed, I'll post up some pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like low batteries to me. The low air buzzer will work even though there's not enough juice to crank the engine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you stranded on the highway?

If not, please reserve the bold HELP titles for actual EMERGENCIES.

AzBuckfever

Sorry about that....not stranded....deuce is in the street though :) but parked on the side. Checked continuity in the start switch (that was my first thought), now checking out the grounds and connections to see if something may have vibrated loose on the way home. Batteries appear to be good. Really weird. Just acts like a dead switch like something aint gettin through.

chemicaljohn

This probably won't apply since you said the batt's were new. Had a similar problem with mine last summer. Buzzer came on and I got power everywhere I was supposed to. I checked the batteries individually with a multimeter.... pushed start... one held around 11 VDC, the other dropped to less than 3. Needless to say I had to get new batteries. They would both charge up, but I couldn't figure it out until I checked them like this.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the starter switch is going bad. Instead of pushing it in and holding it, push it in for just a split second a couple of times - it may very well start then. (can also be a bad place in the starter windings that will do this).

AzBuckfever

That could have been it. We got it going earlier this afternoon. I'm at work now. Anyway, checked some magnetic solenoid thing (forget the technical name for it) and then after hitting the start button a couple of times, it fired up. So, my guess is it's that switch/solenoid. Anyway, I took a pic of the M36 in the driveway and a side shot of the M35. Will try to get them on here as both are on my cell :)

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

hdexpert

Yes

That could have been it. We got it going earlier this afternoon. I'm at work now. Anyway, checked some magnetic solenoid thing (forget the technical name for it) and then after hitting the start button a couple of times, it fired up. So, my guess is it's that switch/solenoid. Anyway, I took a pic of the M36 in the driveway and a side shot of the M35. Will try to get them on here as both are on my cell :)

Thanks to everyone for all your help.
My deuce had starting issues for a while. It would start fine for a week, then the next week, just clicking. It got to the point where it wasn't starting more than it was. So after my multimeter and I did some checking I found that power was getting to the solenoid on top of the starter motor. I pulled the starter, took the end off the solenoid and found a ground wire that was connected with a small phillips screw had backed most of the way out. This repair could have been done with the starter in the truck.

AzBuckfever

I promised pics....so here are a couple. Pardon any image quality issues as these were taken from my cell phone.

Side shot of M35A2.....front shot of M36A2

After some mixing and matching by Boyce Equipment, both trucks have brand new tires, new batteries, and are pretty solid. Only body damage is to the hood of the M35. The M36 has a BE fiberglass hard top by preference of my father in law. I'm not really diggin' it, but, not my truck. M35 also has a full canvas cover which is still in the box loaded in the back. M36 does have the perk of the winch, and what sounds like a better running engine. Not sure if it's a different style as we haven't dived in that far yet. Oh, and for anyone who is going to ask, the M36 does have the air cleaner cover. We took it off to open that lid when we were working on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Look at the tag on the motors just above the alt. If the m36 motor says LDS instead of LDT, pops got lucky!