• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a new (M275 Tractor) project a few weeks ago

jacklegjim

This is my second try to post this the last one I closed out before I posted it for some reason. I got the compression tester adapter made and ran the test a little while ago.
The first test broke the 300 PSI gauge that was on the compression tester.The only other gauge I had was a 2000 psi gauge.
It is hasder to see an exact reading on this one but, I got close. Cyl 1-3 about 525 psi cyl 4-6 400-450 psi. There could be an issue with the back three but,
the test came out better than I thought it would.It will either be tonight or tomorrow before I get to work on it again. Here are some pictures of the tester and the picture of the gauge is cyl 4 test.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I think I drove it to the Kennesaw rally pulling a trailer but I could be mistaken. My memory is as short as everything else I got.:shrugs:

If you want that trailer Jim you can have the lights when you come pick it up. If there is anything else deuce related around the warehouse I'll either give it to you or make you a good deal on it.

rustystud

It could be wet stacking. All of the exhaust ports and exhaust manifold are oily.
I have not seen this from the other trucks I have/have had. I am still relatively
new to MV. I got my first one only four years ago. I should know more about
the condition of the engine in a day or two.
If it's "wet stacking" there will be a definite smell of fuel in the oily mess. If it's just plain oil coming out then you have other issues. Remember "wet stacking" is basically just over fueling. Since diesel engines inject the same amount of fuel given a certain RPM, if the engine is not working hard that fuel is not going to use.

jacklegjim

I did not notice any fuel in what was blowing out just oil.
I should have the heads off tomorrow I will be able to
tell more about it then. If it is valve guides can they be replaced on
these heads?

rustystud

I did not notice any fuel in what was blowing out just oil.
I should have the heads off tomorrow I will be able to
tell more about it then. If it is valve guides can they be replaced on
these heads?
Any competent automotive machine shop should be able to drill out and install new brass guides for you. This engine never came with removable guides. I plan on installing some on my spare heads I have. Also valve guide seals. This engine was designed to allow some oil to flow past the valves to help lube the valve shafts. By going to brass inserts I won't need that extra oil lubing them.

jacklegjim

I got the heads pulled off today. The cylinders
look good you can still see some hone crosshatch
in the liners and no ring ridge. I pulled one of the
exhaust valves to check the Clearance and the guide is
.010 bigger than the valve stem. As Rustystud said this
is where the oil is coming from. This week I will take the
heads to get them reworked. I also got more
parts removed from the engine so I can start to get the engine
bay cleaned up and ready to paint. I am not 100% decided on the color. I really
like the three color camo but, I have not ruled out 24087.
Next I am going to pull the oil pan check the crank
and see it is within spec.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Jim......years ago there was a guy near me that had one in three color camo and it looked really good but I'm not sure if any of the M275's were in the inventory when the three color camo was in use. These tractors were usually used to pull shop or command vans with. I don't think they were used by Transportation units for line haul trucks. Had I kept her the plan was to do a matching olive drab for the tractor and one of the trailers I have. Your truck, your choice.

xm708

Been searching for pieces to an m59 dump truck and found a toolbox for behind your cab and pretty sure the spare carrier too. TNJ murray has a M342 that's been pretty stripped.

jacklegjim

I got the heads dropped of at the machine shop today. After they get them cleaned up and checked for cracks they will let me know how much it will cost to machine and repair them. Due to the weather and having to work late, today was the first day I have been able to work on the truck since last sunday. I pulled the oil pan this afternoon and the inside was really clean. Then I removed the #6 rod cap to look at the bearing and it did not look too bad . I need to get more plastigauge so I can check bearing clearance. I am going to replace them anyway I just want to see where they are at because I could hear a knock for a few minutes when I would start it. Also the oil looked real thin when I drained it that was not helping with my issues any. I don't know if I will get any work done tomorrow or not it's not going to get above 30 degrees and even with lots of clothes on it is still cold.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Jim......years ago there was a guy near me that had one in three color camo and it looked really good but I'm not sure if any of the M275's were in the inventory when the three color camo was in use. These tractors were usually used to pull shop or command vans with. I don't think they were used by Transportation units for line haul trucks. Had I kept her the plan was to do a matching olive drab for the tractor and one of the trailers I have. Your truck, your choice.
From the paint layers my 67 started out 24087 then was MERDC red desert then CARC'd in1991 plus has the up graded composite lights and seat belts MWO.

M275A1 012.jpg M275A1 011.jpg

jacklegjim

Well I have ordered lots of parts and waiting for them to arrive.
I have rod bearing and rod bolts coming.
I have a question about if I should get new rings and hone the cylinders or run what
is in there now. With the heads off and replacing rod bearings it would not be much more work to
put in new rings as well. It had lower compression readings on the back three than on the front three.
but, that could be an issue with the head.
I know without more info it would just be an opinion but,
please let me know what you would do in the same situation.
Thanks

rustystud

Well I have ordered lots of parts and waiting for them to arrive.
I have rod bearing and rod bolts coming.
I have a question about if I should get new rings and hone the cylinders or run what
is in there now. With the heads off and replacing rod bearings it would not be much more work to
put in new rings as well. It had lower compression readings on the back three than on the front three.
but, that could be an issue with the head.
I know without more info it would just be an opinion but,
please let me know what you would do in the same situation.
Thanks
Yes replace the rings ! and give it a good honing while your at it. Since the heads are already off I would take and have the valves done too.

jacklegjim

Well I ordered 6 sets of rings this morning ($10 a set) from one of the vendors
and a few hours later they called and said they only had one set but, could get more they would be $80 a set. I called several other vendors and the cheapest I could find was $38 a set. I am also going to need a hone if I replace the rings.
I think that is more than I want to spend so I have decided to just run what is in there.
The heads are at the shop I am waiting for a quote on the machine work.
The rod bearings came in today now waiting on the rod bolts.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pictures.
There is a picture of how much I had
to raise the back of the cab to get the
tank out and a picture when the tank is going back in.
The rest are of the truck before I started working on it.
I will take more as I go.
I am working on it outside
there is not room in the shop for it right now
so I am working around the weather.

Is that the stock tank that came with the M275? Looks like two welded together to make a 100gal tank.

jacklegjim

It's funny you ask about an update as today is the first time I
have worked on it in over a month. I am in the process of rebuilding
a John Deere 450b loader as well, so I am taking a break from the
loader and working on the M275.
I got the rod bearings replaced and the heads on. Now I am cleaning parts
and putting the engine back together. I hope to have it running again by the end of the week.
The fuel tank is different on the M275
the cross section is smaller than the M35. The tank is different
because it has to fit under the cab.

Attachments

tommys2patrick

have you thought about replacing the gaskets in your steering box while you have it so accessible? Once you have it all buttoned up it would be a pita to do later and the gaskets are not too pricey.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Is that the stock tank that came with the M275? Looks like two welded together to make a 100gal tank.
Yep that is stock and only on the drivers side, not dual tanks like the bigger military truck tractors.

I salute you for sticking with it, after I got mine stripped down to the frame and find that the cab, every line, tube, linkage, bearing along with steering shaft and box needing replacement, I am now leaning towards RAYZER's cut a foot off a M35 add the cat walk, 5th wheel, fuel tank, trolley brake and air tanks to make a 275/m35 tractor. As I have a good running M109 with a bad box just sitting.

000_0173 (2).jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, you have everything to create your own M48A2 except the spare tire rack which isn't really needed. If you elected to do the 5 ton rack anyways, you could lose the spare tire carrier and add another tank like Ray did. Or, leave the spare and add a deck winch. Heck, everyone wants an additional 12" ........of wheelbase!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks