• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got an ignition switch question

appalacious

Hey Guys,
A long time ago I installed a push-button start on my m1009. No problems with it, really. (I thought it was the problem at one point, but it turned out to be a dead battery).
Anyway, I went out today to bleed my injector lines and the thing wouldn't even click the starter relay. I've still got some due diligence to perform since I did some "moving around" with the switches first thing this morning, but after a few quick minutes of making sure it was all back to normal I still got nothing.

I plan on checking voltages, continuity, etc. at the normal places- starter relay, solenoid- to figure out what the problem is and get it up to snuff.

Here's my question. When I did this mod I actually disassembled the ignition switch and mapped out the different "states" of the switch and which circuits were activated when. It turns out that when you engage the starter, the switch actually opens 2 circuits (that were previously closed by the "run" switch closing) while closing 2 other circuits simultaneously. Since I was a dummy and didn't keep the chart that I made (2.5 yrs ago) does anyone here know the sequence? I installed them into my switches (actually buying a 4PDT switch from digikey) so technically i could trace the lines and figure it out, I'm just wondering if this has already been done. I could'nt find it in the TM's when I looked.

Also, referencing this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=3980
It was said that all you need to run this thing is the pink wire going to the IP (for the fuel shutoff). What other systems would you be losing if you took this route? I'm sure some indicator lights would cease to be useful, and no headlights might suck, but as far as just running the truck- will the powertrain function with just the fuel shutoff line being connected?

Thanks,
J

hobie237

Can't answer the questions about the function of the ignition switch, but yes, all you need is power to the IP solenoid for running, since the truck has mechanical injection. All that does, though, is make the truck run/not run, you'll need power to the starter to get it going, as well as the HPCA and fast idle solenoids if it's cold out (and really they help even when it's warm) as well as the glow plugs. Then there are the lights and whatnot, but that's another story.

hobie237

Housing Pressure Cold Advance I think. Although I may have the acronym screwed up. No promises. It's the solenoid that advances injection pump timing when the engine is cold for easier starting.