• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got another Deuce! ('70)

rustystud

I'm sorry about the lousy turn of events, rustystud. But maybe posting all the old tools on Craigslist and getting them out of your sight will help drive off some of that bad feeling. And it could generate a wee little bit of spending cash, that's always good for the spirit!

I don't know if I'm ready to part with my tools just yet. After 40 years some of them are better friends then my friends !

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

I don't know if I'm ready to part with my tools just yet. After 40 years some of them are better friends then my friends !

Kinda know what you mean, I have some good memories that go with the tools I have I inherited from my father, I could never part with them.

On a side note, after my last trip with my Deuce, while it was sitting waiting at the storage place waiting for it to open I did a walk around and noticed a little oil has spit out of the rear axle breather, it was a little wet with oil about the size of a 50cent piece around the breather,...

Need I be worried?

The top loader where it bolts to the pumkin was a little damp from around the bolts, no other sign of leaks.

Aussie.

Another Ahab

G'day everyone,....

Kinda know what you mean, I have some good memories that go with the tools I have I inherited from my father, I could never part with them.

Aussie.
I hear you both. I know what you mean.

But when the time comes, if you can let them go, it can help to set you free.

rustystud

G'day everyone,....

On a side note, after my last trip with my Deuce, while it was sitting waiting at the storage place waiting for it to open I did a walk around and noticed a little oil has spit out of the rear axle breather, it was a little wet with oil about the size of a 50cent piece around the breather,...

Need I be worried?

The top loader where it bolts to the pumkin was a little damp from around the bolts, no other sign of leaks.

Aussie.
If it's just coming out the breather then I would not worry about it. Your trip looked like a long one so the differential probably got good and hot. The oil can get like water on a trip like that and splash everywhere. That is also why I always recommend 90/140W for all differentials . The higher viscosity can help when the differential gets that hot. Now if your mostly driving in Norway or Sweden or Alaska I would recommend a good 80W oil.

rustystud

I hear you both. I know what you mean.

But when the time comes, if you can let them go, it can help to set you free.
With my luck as soon as I set them "free" I would need them ! Just like the time I took a bunch of "SM420" transmissions to the scrap yard. The next month this 4X4 magazine had an article on using the "SM420" behind some jeeps. The price for even trashed units went sky high ! I had complete running units and just scrapped them ! I think I made $50.00 . If I had just waited I could have made thousands !

Another Ahab

It was worth the wait for these pics, DavidWymore; excellent shots!

And there is something extra special about that night pic.

I can't put my finger on it, but the framing, the motion, and even memories of an Apollo Moon mission from long ago.
That's quite a shot. :beer:

ABC.jpg

Last edited:

DavidWymore

I have more that didn't want to upload, I'll host on phbckt and link later.

California overland tours has two deuces with about 30,000 mi of tours each over a decade or so with minimal trouble/breakdowns.

DavidWymore

Radiator is falling apart worse than I thought. Pulled it out tonight. Hope I can make one good one from the three I have by this weekend, have Girl Scouts expecting me to haul them in a parade. 😬

Let’s see, while we’re in here...tach Cable has a hole from the compressor belt, which is now easier to change... need to change some coolant hoses, might as well do the thermostat and install the spin on oil filter kit since the one coolant hose is behind the filters anyway. Needs valves adjusted, should just put the LDS intake rockers in...and the turbo...what a snowball.

The oil cooler housing corroded out on my ‘62 and the coolant in this ‘70 is brownish. I want to drain/flush the oil cooler. Looks like the only way is to pull it off, yeah?

Anyone have any snowflakes to add while I’m here? Thanks

rustystud

Radiator is falling apart worse than I thought. Pulled it out tonight. Hope I can make one good one from the three I have by this weekend, have Girl Scouts expecting me to haul them in a parade. 

Let’s see, while we’re in here...tach Cable has a hole from the compressor belt, which is now easier to change... need to change some coolant hoses, might as well do the thermostat and install the spin on oil filter kit since the one coolant hose is behind the filters anyway. Needs valves adjusted, should just put the LDS intake rockers in...and the turbo...what a snowball.

The oil cooler housing corroded out on my ‘62 and the coolant in this ‘70 is brownish. I want to drain/flush the oil cooler. Looks like the only way is to pull it off, yeah?

Anyone have any snowflakes to add while I’m here? Thanks
It looks like you've already fell down the rabbit hole my friend !

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, beware of the "while I am in there...." ideas. An engine swap can become an engine refresh that way. Ask me how I know.....
Use caution! Just fix what needs to be fixed. And maybe do an upgrade while you are in there! :)

rustystud

Yup, beware of the "while I am in there...." ideas. An engine swap can become an engine refresh that way. Ask me how I know.....
Use caution! Just fix what needs to be fixed. And maybe do an upgrade while you are in there! :)
Mine in the past started with just a bad head gasket. Then since I was going to have to buy a head gasket set, I might as well have the valves done. Then since the valves where done I should put new rings on the pistons or they could start passing oil. Since the pistons where out I might as well replace the bearings. Then I just pull the whole engine out and rebuild it !

DavidWymore

Guys, I gotta do head gaskets. Blown between cylinders. Full sets are getting rare and $. I already have an exh gasket and gasket material to make intake, etc. Should I spring for the whole set or just the HG themselves? Maybe if the sets are getting rare I should get it for just in case...

I'm also doing a turbo and LDS rocker swap from C to D or LDS, haven't decided.

Thanks

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of convenience in a full gasket set...
Of course, you can have a couple of sheets of gasket material handy and a ball peen hammer and a couple of 9mm cartridges and hammer out whichever gasket you need. Very satisfying, but it is a lot more time consuming. The intake and exhaust gaskets especially are very convenient to have pre-made!

Or, you can do it like I did, get a full gasket set, still make many of your own, because "you never know, you might need the pre-made gaskets in a hurry sometime later". Crazy. I know.

NebraskaFan

Guys, I gotta do head gaskets. Blown between cylinders. Full sets are getting rare and $. I already have an exh gasket and gasket material to make intake, etc. Should I spring for the whole set or just the HG themselves? Maybe if the sets are getting rare I should get it for just in case...

I'm also doing a turbo and LDS rocker swap from C to D or LDS, haven't decided.
Thanks
Not sure how much of a difference the rockers would make, but I swapped to one of the 4le-354s and it hurt the low end performance, it was just too big for a "stock" LDT (I do have the pump turned up). When cruising around at 2000 rpm it did alright, but really my 3ld-305 does just as well. I'm going to be looking for a D turbo eventually.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own two armored vehicle dual headlights with base. I have located ONE. For the life of me, I cannot find the other. They were together, last time I saw, before the winter. Why are the not, now? And how difficult is it to misplace a thing of this weight and size? Maybe it's in my sock drawer.

Another Ahab

I own two armored vehicle dual headlights with base. I have located ONE. For the life of me, I cannot find the other. They were together, last time I saw, before the winter. Why are the not, now? And how difficult is it to misplace a thing of this weight and size? Maybe it's in my sock drawer.
Count on it. It's waiting somewhere obvious that you just can't recall right now.

As soon as you locate a replacement, and complete the purchase, payment and everything:

- BINGO! You'll find the missing headlight!!

:doghead:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks