• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got broken into today

edpdx

I went fishing this morning. When I got back to my Blazer, some Richard had broken my wing window out. My Get Home bag was gone. My limited tool bag was gone- not much of a loss on the tools. The GHB stung though.

Insurance will cover the window. The other items are covered only under my homeowner policy- $1000.00 deductible.

As you head out to the sticks, you may want to keep this in mind. I know someone is going to admonish me for leaving "things" in my vehicle, but tools and GHB? I am going to get a flat storage steel box and keep my stuff in it, with a padlock from now on.

MarcusOReallyus

I am going to get a flat storage steel box and keep my stuff in it, with a padlock from now on.
I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these storage boxes and mounting it behind the seat. I'm not sure if it would fit, but if it would it would be out of sight, out of mind, and one more layer of trouble and delay for someone to break into.

52435_2_400x400.jpg

BEASTMASTER

one time ,I took the wife out in the canoe. parked on side of a busy street, off the road, was gone for about an hour up river , came back to the truck, and my fish poles and tackle box were gone. leaving them in the bed was stupid. some p o s took them. who steals a guys fish poles and tackle box ???

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out of site is a good deterrent. I keep garbage bags in the truck to put stuff in that I can't hide. Sorry man, that really sucks.

Drock

I grew up in the city, in apartment complexes. I've had several bicycles stolen, cars broken into, and basically anything not bolted down go missing:roll:. In my experience there's nothing you can do to stop a degenerate from stealing your stuff if they want it bad enough. Your best defense is to not leave loose valuables in your vehicles. And simply do the math, which is more expensive? The radar detector or the door glass? You'll find it's most always the door glass, so you might as well leave the doors unlocked. Especially if your parked in the woods and the only vehicle around.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carry a spare game camera with you.
Setup where it can see whole truck.
It won’t prevent a break-in, but at least you will have a picture or video of who did it and what their driving.

Could have been worse.
They coukd have stolen the truck itself.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a problem like yours when I would go to town, stuff would end up missing from my pickup. Its hard to lock everything. I was doing a lot of coyote trapping at the time too. One time I accidently left a # 2 trap set in some stuff in the truck. It was my favorite trap, so I had a big cow bell tied to it, so I wouldn't loose it. But you know, when I came out from that movie, I found both the bell & that trap was gone.

74M35A2

Very sorry to hear.

For the fishing tackle one, a group broke into my parents small boat at the time when I was a kid and took our fishing equipment (only). Sucked, as most of it was historical from grandparents (no monetary value), and they broke a lot of fiberglass/wood with a hammer to do it. My dad never locked anything on the boat again. Like a soft-top Jeep Wrangler after that.

Wouldn't you just like to have been there when it happened.......

LastFbody

It wasn't an issue in this instance, but I feel like it's worth changing the locks out so some jerk can't just hop into your truck and take it with one of the many keys that are out there. It's still easy to steal and break into, but it makes it noisier and takes longer than 5 seconds.

Incidentally, anyone interested in 2 cucv door locks and 1 ignition cylinder? :p

dmetalmiki

one time ,I took the wife out in the canoe. parked on side of a busy street, off the road, was gone for about an hour up river , came back to the truck, and my fish poles and tackle box were gone. leaving them in the bed was stupid. some p o s took them. who steals a guys fish poles and tackle box ???
Any low life that sees an opportunity to make a cheap buck.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very sorry to hear.

For the fishing tackle one, a group broke into my parents small boat at the time when I was a kid and took our fishing equipment (only). Sucked, as most of it was historical from grandparents (no monetary value), and they broke a lot of fiberglass/wood with a hammer to do it. My dad never locked anything on the boat again. Like a soft-top Jeep Wrangler after that.

Wouldn't you just like to have been there when it happened.......
Guy at work left his Jeep here one night just for a couple hours. They did not steel anything out of the jeep. They took the entire soft top. Not cool.

85CUCVtom

I had my jeep gone through once. They didn't take anything though. Must have been looking for money.

It takes a certain kind if a-hole to do that to people. Nothing worse than a thief. I think BEEFCO has a loss prevention department, maybe they could offer up some words of wisdom?

edpdx

I had a problem like yours when I would go to town, stuff would end up missing from my pickup. Its hard to lock everything. I was doing a lot of coyote trapping at the time too. One time I accidently left a # 2 trap set in some stuff in the truck. It was my favorite trap, so I had a big cow bell tied to it, so I wouldn't loose it. But you know, when I came out from that movie, I found both the bell & that trap was gone.
1651165427393.png

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple years ago we had some homeless encampments pop up about a mile away, and the apartments and homes nearby had a spike of thefts and vehicle break-ins. The threat was between 2am and 3:30am guys would roam the neighborhoods looking for open car/truck doors and root around inside. My security camera captured them hitting my neighbor's car in his driveway across the street. The daylight-bright floodlights only assisted them in sorting through his stuff and were no deterrent whatsoever.

The cameras aren't set up to monitor his driveway, it just captured it incidentally as it watches my driveway. The thieves never came up my driveway at all, even tho the easy-pickings M1009 is parked there, in fact they didn't even walk on my side of the street. I attributed it at the time to the three cameras watching the driveway, and the rest of the cameras that monitor the front yard.

Inside the CUCV I installed a blinking LED to hopefully ward off any thieves that want to keep things quiet.; they don't know it isn't connected to any alarm system. It's a cheap thing I got off ebay; it stopped flashing but it stays on steady now, but it's a bright blue alarm-looking LED.

Another thing to be mindful of is your garage remote control. If you keep it in the vehicle and the thieves take it, they can open your garage and possibly even get inside your house. I no longer keep the opener in the truck.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really hate thieves. The fishing pole story reminded me of a time when I was in a band. We used to practice in a rented space at one of those "U store it" places. They hit our unit one night and made off with my complete bass rig, a 7 piece drum set complete with stands, cymbals and sticks, plus a giant half stack amplifier. But they left my buddies Les Paul Studio, which was worth around 2K then, propped against the wall. We found some of it in local pawn shops. I have no sympathy for the crap heads.

Last edited by a moderator:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start gift wraping your garbage and scrap metal so they grab the weighty gifts on the seat and wire up a fifty dollar noise make alarm so once the noise starts they have to leave before they find your good stuff because the only thing they dont make more of is time !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This may have been here before, but it is still worth a good laugh. Screen Grabbed a few pictures... Picture #4 is the flash bang exploding after the 8th time this mans truck window was busted out in New Orleans.

DamnThief01.jpg

DamnThief02.jpg

DamnThief03.jpg

DamnThief04.jpg

Hope that SOB's ears were bleeding when he left the scene!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks