• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got 'er home!

foprange

I drove it from Warner Robbins Ga to Birmingham AL in 5 hours, 275 miles. First impression when I first walked up to it was this thing is huge. It started right up with no issues. While it warmed up, I cleaned the windows and did a walk around. No problems that I can see. I noticed several new or recent items, the injector unit, the CITS unit, and door latch all looked much newer than the rest of the truck. The right rear inside tire is about bald and starting to dry rot but the rest were 70%. The spare was new. I found paperwork where that tire had been replaced with a receipt for $900. That is not a $900 tire. It may have been snagged to go on another truck they were keeping.

The drive home turned into an endurance test... the tires were all flat-spotted and shook the bejesus out of everything (me included) at 40 to 45 mph. At 55 it all smoothed out. I tried really hard to keep it 55 to 58 where it all seemed happy.

I noticed that the transmission shifts pretty hard when it hits 2nd. The rest are smooth shifts. Is this going to be a problem later for me? From what I know about automatic transmissions, a worn clutch pack with excessive clearances, stuck accumulator can cause this, or it may be set up that way to reduce wear. Slippage from a soft shift wears clutch linings. Any ideas?

There is something under the dash, white with a downward pointing nozzle, that hisses air continuously. No big deal but I am not sure if it is supposed to. I can put my finger over it and stop it. I thought about routing it by a hose out of the cab so I don't have to listen to it.

There are several small places on the body where rust is starting to form. I learned from the paperwork that it was originally a Florida air force base truck. I need to figure out what spray paint best matches the flat green, brown, grey and black from the camo paint job.

I need another tire. I found some at auctions on the site where I got the truck but none yet listed as 14 x 20 tires. I see 385/85x20 but don't know if they are the same or not. I need to dig deeper.

The tool kit is missing parts... namely the chain hoist for getting the spare to the ground. What is everyone else using?

Overall, I am pretty pleased with this truck. Except for it being 24 years old, it is almost like new. There are now 15000 miles and 550 hours showing. I have plans to clean it up and touch up the paint, put my FOP Range Inc logos on the doors and tailgate, and make it my errand truck. It sure turns heads as I drove home. That was the idea for getting it. I know I need a CDL even though the lady at the Alabama DPS CDL division told me over the phone that if it is only used for recreational purposes, its a RV and no CDL will be required. From what I read, if it has air brakes, is more than 26,000 lbs, or has 6 axles, a class B CDL is required. I don't want a state trooper to ruin my day later so I am studying up for the CDL test.

This site is a tremendous resource. Thanks to all who post. Here is a picture of my M923A2...
20140328_172840.jpg

machinist75

The 395's are 46 inch tires, the 14's are 49 inches. From what I hear the 14's are getting hard to find as they are no longer in use. The 395's are still on a few mv's, probably what we will all be using eventually.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck ! paint color is "383" green , tan and black . It is easily available from vendors on this site , MV shows or even HomeDepot ! .Just do a search and BTW make sure to download and read the TM's it will answer a lot of your questions .

MtnSnow

To answer you question on the missing chain fall. Many of us just pick up a replacement from Harbor Freight it's less than 50 bucks

Good looking truck and so welcome to the Big Green addiction

goldneagle

The 395's are 46 inch tires, the 14's are 49 inches. From what I hear the 14's are getting hard to find as they are no longer in use. The 395's are still on a few mv's, probably what we will all be using eventually.
Wrong info! All the M939A1 and M939A2 come with 14.00-20s on them. Plenty are being parted out -so the tires and rims are available.

machinist75

Wrong info! All the M939A1 and M939A2 come with 14.00-20s on them. Plenty are being parted out -so the tires and rims are available.
They are available now. I was referring to a couple years down the road when you are looking for a new set to be surplused. I don't believe they are on any other mv's but the m939's being phased out of service.

foprange

Thanks for the help. I have some paint on the way, a chain hoist to pick up at my local Harbor Freight, and am hunting for a good used 14x20 Goodyear on GL. In my research, I see that some of the M938 series trucks have a lift gate as an add-on option but I have yet to see a single picture of one with the GI part. Does it exist? I would be a player for one if I found one. It would greatly improve the usability of the 6 foot off the ground bed.

mcmullag

for the flat black, I use rustoleum professional, tall can at Loews. For the green and brown I used the 383 colors from Rapco. Yeah harbor freight for the chain fall. Floor of cargo bed is only 4'10" off the ground : ) You can make your stencils easily from stuff at Hobby Lobby.

goldneagle

Thanks for the help. I have some paint on the way, a chain hoist to pick up at my local Harbor Freight, and am hunting for a good used 14x20 Goodyear on GL. In my research, I see that some of the M938 series trucks have a lift gate as an add-on option but I have yet to see a single picture of one with the GI part. Does it exist? I would be a player for one if I found one. It would greatly improve the usability of the 6 foot off the ground bed.
The only truck that I know that comes with a liftgate is the M820A2. It has to be the A2 variant to have the liftgate. That does not mean there are no other trucks with a liftgate. I just never seen one.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spare was new. I found paperwork where that tire had been replaced with a receipt for $900. That is not a $900 tire. It may have been snagged to go on another truck they were keeping.

There are several small places on the body where rust is starting to form. I learned from the paperwork that it was originally a Florida air force base truck. I need to figure out what spray paint best matches the flat green, brown, grey and black from the camo paint job.

The new price on a 11.00x20 G177 at a discount place is north of $600. I'm guessing the bigger tire might be more.

There is a paint sticky in the paint and bodywork forum with the paint codes.

Oh, and I would not just run a hose out so you don't here an air leak. Having driven those trucks I'm sure that it isn't supposed to be leaking.

foprange

I need some help locating a wheel weight for my m923A2 with CTIS. I drove her 275 miles home with one **** of a speed sensitive shake in the front end that I thought was caused by flatspotted tires. I just noticed that my left front wheel does not have the hulk of lead opposite the CTIS. I need one before I go much further. Can anyone here point me in the right direction of where to get one? I am in Bham AL. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks