• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got insurance and tags in MD finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

midcounty

After quite a few phone calls and checking around, and a lot of no go's, I finally found suitable insurance for my Deuce. I went with State Farm for 60 bucks a month. I know that is high compared to a lot of others, but the restrictions of other companies weren't acceptable for my intended use. With my current insurance there are no restrictions in how I use it, and I can even have my gunshop logo and info painted on it. Other companies would not allow it to be used in any way commercially, but this is an actual commercial policy. I figured I would share this for anyone who wants to really use their truck, not just parades and shows. The downfall is that is liability only, and they will not do full coverage on a Deuce. Hope someone finds this helpful.

DieselBob

Congratulations. [thumbzup] I went the same way, with a commercial policy. Cost more but I had verified the restriction on use, mileage and storage with the less expensive options and didn't like them. So I guess I'll start seeing a deuce running around the shore now.

midcounty

Progressive wouldn't touch it, and told me they will not insure MV's unless it is parade use only. You may want to check your policy, as you may not be covered if using it for anything other then a parade. Last thing I wanted was insurance that wouldn't cover me for regular usage. State farm was the only unrestricted policy I could find for less then 1k a year, and I checked them all.

Bob, maybe I'll see ya on the road ;)

midcounty

there is a big loophole in MD where they say 'and occasional use'. still you are not supposed to haul anything if historic tags.

tom
Yeah, MD has no GVW listed on historic tags and makes it clear that it is not for hauling. My big concern was if I were going to the range or a gunshow and carrying supplies and such. Statefarm had no problem with that, and they had no problem with using the truck for advertisement(which all the others answered with a big no). I just didn't want an insurance company who, in the very unfortunate situation of a maishap, would refuse any claim because of what is written on the door or because I had some business related stuff in the back of the vehicle.

scottese

Hey stranger, good to see a familiar face. Any other MDS guys here?

I found this site and registered...I've got lots of reading to do!

One thing I didn't consider was insurance, I'll have to make some calls on Mon.

Later,
Scott

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i fully agree, i was just pointing out the issue in MD. i am afraid many have done things like full hydro steering, bobing, repowering, etc. and if they are not very careful they may find out that their insurance does not stand behind them when a major mishap happens. case in point, i have a TR8 that was made from a TR7. i insisted that my carrier put TR7 V8 on the insurance form and id card so they could not say "we didn't know"

tom

wikallen

Progressive wouldn't touch it, and told me they will not insure MV's unless it is parade use only. You may want to check your policy, as you may not be covered if using it for anything other then a parade. Last thing I wanted was insurance that wouldn't cover me for regular usage. State farm was the only unrestricted policy I could find for less then 1k a year, and I checked them all.

Bob, maybe I'll see ya on the road ;)

Commercial policy, my agent had no clue what it was, but when he called in to Progressive HQ, they knew exactly what it was and what policy it fit under. I have no restrictions, other then the majority of the driving will be within 50mi from my home.

midcounty

Commercial policy, my agent had no clue what it was, but when he called in to Progressive HQ, they knew exactly what it was and what policy it fit under. I have no restrictions, other then the majority of the driving will be within 50mi from my home.
Good deal. Maybe the state had something to do with it. All my other insurance is with progressive, and my agent tried for two days with out any good results. Guess I will have to ask Flo next time I see her :p

You do have a point there. I need to start getting more road time once I get the brakes, seals and bearings done. I will admit that the deuce has been kind of a yard decoration lately. :sad:
I was worried I may not drive mine much, but in two days I have already put nearly 200 miles on it :driver:. Seems like a few MD owners on here. Maybe we can all get together some time.

midcounty

Hey stranger, good to see a familiar face. Any other MDS guys here?

I found this site and registered...I've got lots of reading to do!

One thing I didn't consider was insurance, I'll have to make some calls on Mon.

Later,
Scott
Welcome aboard! You will learn alot on here. I can see you are bitten by the bug and will have a MV soon ;)

DieselBob

That would be correct. I did the antique plates because no inspection and I didn't plan on doing any hauling. Just pleasure driving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks