• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got into a bad spot

TACTICAL6

Okay, started off the day with some good intentions. Loaded up the "MSR" Mobile Shooting Range AKA the M109, with plenty o guns, plenty o ammo. Headed for the back 40. Unexpectedly hit a 3 foot snow drift going up hill. No problem, back up and try again. Only when backing up I slid to the left. And ended up about 6 inches from the garage with nowhere to go but back towards the garage. After a couple hours and two 4 ton come alongs later we had it extracted. Whew, I wish one of my trucks had a winch !!

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And ended up about 6 inches from the garage with nowhere to go but back towards the garage.
I am glad that Murphy was obviously asleep or had gone out, buying more booze. Normally, the garage ends up 6 inches in your truck, on such occasions.
Good that you got it out w/o scraping paint or creating a reason to re-shingle the garage!

greenjeepster

A set of chains would have been ideal in a situation like this. Probably could have thrown a set on just the front two tires and drove her right out.

Far cheaper than a winch and takes less time than dragging out the cable and winding it back up when you are done.

You can make a set of poor mans chains to have just for emergencies like this. Just take 2 foot long lengths of chain and loop them around the tire and through the spoke hole on the rim and attach it back to its self with a master link. 4 or 5 per outside tire and you are back in business.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry to hear about your delay! If you get down this way, I think there is some chains around if you want to get some.

Heavysteven

Read your story and have the same problem myself. Going up hill tires spun truck starting slide toward house. My plan right now is to let it dry out then try and drive the truck up. If I can not then i will hook the winch to a tree. It's a scary feeling though.

Love the idea of the chain hoist, going to keep that in mind as plan B

moleary

Between the OP and Heavysteven this makes the fourth story about a SS member hitting a house, nearly hitting a house, or getting stuck in their own yard.

Since I sold my MV I won't be going to the FL rally, but if I were there is a good chance I'd park FAR away from you guys! :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Between the OP and Heavysteven this makes the fourth story about a SS member hitting a house, nearly hitting a house, or getting stuck in their own yard.

Since I sold my MV I won't be going to the FL rally, but if I were there is a good chance I'd park FAR away from you guys! :)
Be glad you don't own a flower shop.

BEASTMASTER

it's a good idea to have a couple 5 gal. buckets of sand on hand . just sprinkel a little in front of the tires and the thing will walk out of a mess like it was on dry asphalt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks