• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got Lucky Cdn CVCU and CMP

WPNS421

Talk about a lucky day, I backed into a clients yard and sitting there was a 1975 Chev CUCV 5\4 ton Cdn with a radio box.:-D I said hello and asked how much for the truck, at first he didn't want to seel but I wore him down, The truck is mine and he will let me have it as soon as he removes his stuff. I saw my mechanic today and as I was leaving his carpenter told me he had spoken to his friend who had an old army truck that I might be interested. He told me to see him ASAP as he was cleaning out his yard, 30 minutes later I was in the yard looking at the truck and he sold it to me. It's a 40's Chev CMP 1.5 ton in rough condition but still savable. I normally don't buy this type of truck but it was buy it or it is scrapped. The CMP will be sold so if anyone is interested let me know. I know, I know ``THIS POST IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTUREs and I will post them ASAP.

CMP Nut

Another saved....

Another saved from the scraper....Well done! Just a wee bit to far away for me to give you an offer on the C15A...unless you deliver of course:wink:

Looking forward to pics. Suggest you also post on MLU about the Chev. No doubt it will go fast.

cheers

Mike

WPNS421

Yes I was lucky and believe it or not I often go to Windsor. I was there in August visiting friends. There is a historical fort by the river and there was renactors and some MVs on demo and I met 2 guys with CMPs they had redone. Pardon my ignorance but what is the MLU? I should have the pictures next week.

CMP Nut

Attachments

Wile E. Coyote

Talk about a lucky day, I backed into a clients yard and sitting there was a 1975 Chev CUCV 5\4 ton Cdn with a radio box.:-Dow ``THIS POST IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTUREs and I will post them ASAP.
Won't be a CUCV, as they didn't make them in 1975. What you have is a genuine Canadian Army "Five-Quad" with a gas 350, THM350 transmission, NP203 or NP205 transfer case, can't remember what axles, and a really tough frame. Most of the ones I've seen are 1976 model years (guy just down from me in WA has/had one) and came as cargo trucks, line-layers, communications trucks and a couple of other things. They were in service well into the 1990s, though the ones that got deployed on peacekeeping missions tended to stay there afterwards.

Getting one with a comms pod is a rarity, as the vast majority were taken off and rehabbed for re-use on the truck that replaced the Five Quad -- the LSVW. Some weren't though. I know of a couple that sat in a yard up in Saskatchewan for awhile (just the rear bodies with nothing in them) but have seen none since when up that way.

Great trucks for the most part but Oh My God...the rust! The drivers/passengers floor pans fell out of a great many of them at which point there was a 'life-extension' program which involved a kit to replace the floor pans (rivets and Sikaflex from what I've seen.) Another problem they had was a bad driver's side front spring on a lot of them which is why they all seem to sag to one side even without a 300 lb engineer-type behind the wheel. Anyway, with a 6.2 diesel retrofit those trucks would be outstanding - and maybe the kit to allow use of lockout hubs on the front as the original setup doesn't have lockouts, and I believe you have to do something to the t-case before you can add lockouts.

(some were bench-seated and some were buckets -- most of the comms trucks were buckets. If you want a pair of NOS bucket seats for that thing - less the bases - I know someone who has a bunch.)

WPNS421

Yea Wile, I know I got the 5/4 Cdn and this one is in good condition. The floor is good and I need to repair the door corner post, replace the windshield, all fairly minor stuff. The truck used to belong to a mechanic that worked for the gouvernment and he told me he has a lot of spares parts. The model I'm getting has a bench. The best part, I have all the radios antennas etc, I have a full 280 shelter of radios. Right now I prefer keeping the chev 350 versus the 6.2L, I have an older mechanic who loves the old chevs and the 350 cu in