• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my 16.5 rims from boyce equipment for my m37

Very nice job. Nice offset to them to run hummer tires. Thats my plan.The tires are cheap and will last me awhile I don't drive to far and i love the looks of a big tire on the m37.. Boyce equipment also makes a 20 inch rim for the m37 besides the 16.5 I think they will look good on the old forestry truck

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be a typical 9.75" x 16.5", drop-center 1-pc rim.
Although 37" HMMWV radials all come on 8.25"-wide wheels, I know 9.75"-rims will work OK. But don't ever run them (tubeless) below 30 psi since on a one-piece wheel the only thing keeping the beads seated is air pressure.

I'm still wondering why no-one is offering re-centered HMMWV wheels for the M37; M715 and M101s.?
For someone with the right tools that would be a very easy job to do.

G.

Last edited:

MatthewH

Trail Worthy Fab offers recentered HMMWV rims for both M37 and M715, you just have to call or email them as the patterns aren't listed on there spec sheet. They only offer flat plate centers, so we're stuck with one offset, but looks like there around $200 a wheel, more depending on the options you choose.

Special T

Anyone with a decent plasma table could burn out centers for hummer wheels. There are several outfits that will supply you if you give them the proper dimensions or give them a wheel to copy. It is perfectly dot legal to re center a wheel but many wont do the work due to liability. Only the rime base portion of the wheel needs to be certified. This is done with heavy equiptment and over the road semi trucks on a regular basis.

MatthewH

Anyone with a decent plasma table could burn out centers for hummer wheels. There are several outfits that will supply you if you give them the proper dimensions or give them a wheel to copy. It is perfectly dot legal to re center a wheel but many wont do the work due to liability. Only the rime base portion of the wheel needs to be certified. This is done with heavy equiptment and over the road semi trucks on a regular basis.
Ive looked into burning centers for HMMWV rims for myself and a few others local who have M37's. even with working for a fab shop with a large size Trump laser table, the cost to produce the same center as say the one Trail Worthy carries exceeds just buying them. last time I priced steel, it was almost $20 more a wheel center to buy the steel and burn myself than just buying the center already made. That cost didn't include my time to draw, program, burn the centers, then machine the correct bevel for the lug nuts.

However,

I wanted one piece rims for my M37, and I had already shelled the money out for STA Super Lugs, so I made a set of one piece wheels with M37 centers that I burned out and made fit. The last pic is with a 265/75/16 I had laying around, just to get a good look at them with a tire mounted, as well as mounted on the truck.

Attachments

Special T

If trail ready supplies ready to weld in cente rs thats one thing... may be easier or cheaper to order and glue in yourself $200a wheel one offset may not work for everyone. My only point being IF thier current offering doesnt work for you what you do want/need should be easy to obtain. 2c

richingalveston

I had twf recentered rims and they were good rims but not street legal. I sold them to a member in Alaska and appartenly they are doing fine.
check your state. I had a trooper tell me my rims were no good. He thought they were bolt on bead locks and I explained they were two piece hummer rims (this was at a gas station, I did not get pulled over). He asked how I got them to fit the blazer and I explained the centers had been changed. He quickly told me they were no longer DOT approved if they were modified.

I live right off of I=45 south of Houston. The closest gas station (bucees) is a magnet for the state troopers and local pd. since I go there daily and see the same cops over and over again I changed my rims just because I do not want them messing with me. I got DOT Hutchinson beadlocks which are much better anyway.

It is not just the people who make them protecting their liability, they don't know what state you will end up running them in either. Most states if you read the fine print, DOT rims are required.

Just my experience,

With big trucks and heavy equipment this may be different but a passenger vehicle requires DOT approved equipment.

Special T

The dot certification stamp is almost always on the rim base. In 90%+ of the cases wheel bases are made first then a center disk is welded in. The certification is the pressure vessel for both the tire and wheel. Some laws are different state to state but dot certification is federal not state. Unfortunatly it is often the case where you have to school the cop on the law he thinks you broke.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks