• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my baby home, sort of...

mo-mudder

Well, my '51 GMC deuce needs some work, but I came upon a guy with 4 deuces and a 5 ton on a car lot not far from me, so I just wanted to stop in and chat. I figured from the condition of them they'd be going for 4-7k a piece. Got to chattin, and only 1 was still for sale, for $2800. I hope he didn't see my jaw drop. Left there and came by to chat more, and he talked himself down to $2500, and got the chance to talk to the PO of the deuce in question. Apparently it's the best runner of the bunch. Took me a couple weeks to scrounge up the dough, but I paid it off Monday and brought it to within 400 ft of my house. It's currently hiding at my neighbor's place, keeping sentry over an asphalt spreader and a 2-ton roller. Quite fitting, as it help a prior stint as a MP vehicle. '71 model, ~41k miles, beautiful 9-20 tires (until I get the 11-20's off the '51), runs like a champ and smokes like a freight train (no offense, freighttrain). Only real mods I wanna do is switch over to a 6 inch stack with a flapper. LOVE the noise it makes on the highway, and the puffs of smoke she belches out between gear changes. Wife and Dad/boss don't know about it yet. Still trying to think of a way to break the news to them...

Pics are a bit on the crappy side, but it's better than nothing. I was thinkin of maybe a tan repaint later on, and stencilling a name on the bumper, Big John, for my wife's late grandfather, but I hadn't made my mind up yet. Don't wanna stray too far from "factory", but it being a national guard truck is about as impressive as an art degree (no offense, weekend warriors and commie liberals, er, I mean artists).

Attachments

bigelk50

Congrats on the purchase. Telling her about the first one is hard, but after that it gets easier. Until you are like us and have enough that she cannot keep track. Today my soon to be wife told me to name the truck Francine, cause she thinks its my other women.

mo-mudder

Went over and started it today. It's got the little triangle tag that says it was gone thru in '89, and a few more parts have 1993 stamped on them. Drained the air tanks, checked the oil. How reliable is that gauge under the steering wheel for checking the air filter?

gunboy1656

Sounds like something i did. I never let on there was a deuce being delivered. One day I met up with a truck driver and we went to pick it up. when I got home my dad was already home. next thing he knew there was a semi out in front of the house behind some trees. He comes out to see whats going on, and the first thing he saw was the '56 GMC coming off the trailer. he walked back in the house shaking his head.

I will never forget that.

many years later its still sitting there waiting for me to get the money for the parts for it.

Scott

Oh and nice truck BTW.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just read your post, didn't realize you knew Wayne. He just bought 4 more at Jeff. City. I'm only five miles or so from there on Dittmer-Catawissa Rd. I'll let you know when I get mine home. Wayne has some nice trucks, good buy
Scrapdaddy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks