• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my deuce home!

rockyroad217

Well I finally got it home. I got lots of free parts with it. He let me swap any part off of the other 2 that I wanted..Well besides heavy mechanical parts. Here's what I swapped..

1. Changed the soft top for a hard top.
2. New bed wood with the seats from another bed.
3. Headlight switch (plus kept the old one..it just had the lettering worn off and I wanted the better looking one.)
4. The passenger window was cracked so I got a nice better one.
5. 2 new front tires with the nipples on them still. (The rear tires already looked new with the nipples still, but the fronts were cupped)
6. All the generic data plates with the shift pattern and whatnot were nothing left but a aluminum tag, so I put the nice new looking ones from another truck on it.

He also gave me 2 new wheel cylinders, 4 new complete brake assemblies (pads, cylinders, hubs, everything), a new tierod, 2 gallons of brake fluid, and a pressure bleeder he made from reading on here with another gallon of brake fluid already in it. He also gave me 2 new tires not on the rim.

I think I got a pretty good deal. It's a '66 model and the brakes do not work whatsoever. I'm thinking of putting all new 6 wheel cylinders on and probably change the rubber lines. I think the axle seals are leaking in the front and the boot because there is grease coming from the boot, plus liquid, but the liquid doesn't smell like gear oil, so I'm hoping it's just brake fluid leaking. There is also a leak on the rear left rear wheel on the inside. I haven't checked to see what fluid that is because I haven't investigated yet. I found out from the trailer loading that the sprag isn't engaging. Hopefully it is out of adjustment, but that is at the bottom of my list at this moment. It also has an airleak I can hear in the cab. I'm assuming that it's either leaking at the gauge or the wipers. It's coming from under the dash. Sorry for the long post, I'm just excited to get to work on it..Any helpful suggestions or comments are appreciated! I'm always open to learning helpful tips on working on it since I'm extremely new at this. (Working on something of this size)

Ah I almost forgot..a picture of the truck on the trailer!

Attachments

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

That air hissing could be coming from the wiper adjustment knob, just to the left of the steering wheel. Most likely and a common problem with our trucks is the defective front brake lines that are too sort and wind up leaking, drips on the inside of the front wheels. Also drips on the axel boots so they look wet and leaky.. going to put my new brake lines in and then dry off the boots and see if they are actually leaking..

Congrats on your new truck.!!

ARYankee

Congrats!!! Glad that you got it home. I'll have to try and swing by some time later this week and check it out. I'm going to give that guy a call and see what he has and if he will be around Friday.

rockyroad217

Congrats!!! Glad that you got it home. I'll have to try and swing by some time later this week and check it out. I'm going to give that guy a call and see what he has and if he will be around Friday.
Come on by, I'll probably be out Friday all day changing wheel cylinders haha

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks