• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

got my first deuce how bad did i get burned?

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least you (wireless?) internet connection is holding good! Keep us posted! Oregon can be rugged country. Hoping you're staying on the main routes.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
90 weight GL-1, although GL-5 can be used if it has the MT-5 rating, which means it is safe for the brass used in out trannies and transfer cases.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure everybody is full of oil and Stop every 10 miles or so and recheck. Rember these trucks are very dourable and will tolorate a lot of abuse before quitting. Try not to drive over 45 MPH. Get what ever gear oil you can find. For the trip home. The wrong oil is much better than no oil. Mabye you could send GF after tools? Or get her to stay with truck while you fetch them?

FormerNewMVGuy

The plug is not missing if it is what i think you are talking about. The flywheel housing or bellhousing has a plug you put in that hole when you drive through deeper water, but for regular driving you leave it out. The plug to the right is actually just docked there for regular driving.

bugei

the suspense is killing me, i am so very rooting for him. i would not want to have my wife with me on a recovery that did not go well. the I TOLD YOU SO's are rattleing around in my head, just out of sympathy for his situation.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Joey:
The statement the Ken made about just getting oil in there and get it home is my advice too. Often an oil leak looks bigger than it really is. Oil covers so well and when it leaks during driving it makes steel tie dyed design. Carefully remove all fill plugs and do the finger in the hole test in this case a slight overfill will not kill you in 100 miles especially if you are leaking. The Army knows our trucks leak and a Soldier can get an Article 15 if he or she forgets to put a drip pan under the trucks engine and transmission or any other leak. Keep it low speed and take your time with frequent stops and checks. I bet you will not travel without tools again. I have two big toolboxes in my Suburban that are always there. We are cheering for you and let us know anything else we can do for you. I know if any of us where close we would already be there helping. Some of us might even have our household six along to ease your Girlfriends mind.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
joey said:
the trucking companies dont want anyting to do with it. I got one tow truck that may do it but waiting for him to call back
Hmm, any towing company that does commercial towing should be willing and able to tow your deuce. For something like a deuce, your first question when they answer the phone should be along the lines of "Hi, do you do commercial truck towing?". If they say no, then they're not equipped to help you, and if they say yes, then dragging your truck is no different than dragging any commercial tractor.

A commercial underlift wrecker can pick up the front end of the truck by the front axle, and pull it with the rear wheels on the ground. The driveshaft should be removed when doing this, and the wrecker driver ought to remove it for you... that's normal operating procedure for any commercial truck towing.

Some (but not all) commercial towing companies will have trailers that are suitable for towing a deuce with all wheels off the ground. You shouldn't need one of those this time, but for future reference, remember to ask if they have a Landoll trailer if you ever want a non-running truck towed with its wheels off the ground (for example, if you're buying a truck where you're not sure that the tires, bearings, axles, etc. are in good enough shape for the trip). A Landoll trailer tilts down to ground level, and has a dragline winch that can drag a dead truck up onto the trailer. There are other brands and styles, but if you ask for a Landoll then they should understand what you have in mind.

Good luck, I hope you get your truck home without spending too much money, I hope the repairs end up being easy, and I hope your girlfriend will quickly forgive you for being an idiot! ;) This won't seem so bad once you're looking back on it and can laugh about it. I know you'll probably just want to play with your new truck when you get home (unless you're all trucked out and want to let it sit for a week or two before you look at it again!), but I think it'll help things a lot if you get a babysitter and take the lady out for a nice dinner. After the gear oil smell has worn of your skin, that is! ;)

Opie

If the two transmission plugs are close together, it may just be the plug used for river fording the truck and may not be needed for getting your truck home.

I'll need confirmation on this, as it has been a while since I've peeked at the underside of my truck.

EDIT: Whoops, came in late on this story...glad my suspicion was confirmed.

joey

this is the third time i posted this and didnt take so excuse the lack of punctuation and spelling its been a long few days and im tired but want to keep you all informed ,anyhow we are now home minus the truck. Met a guy who let me park it on his lot to get it off the road. Called countless places got one qout of SIX THOUSAND for towing and repairs. My brother in law and I are going up on Sunday to haul the truck back with his bosses dumptruck and trailer. I hope Its still there. My mom showed up as we where leaving and said, "she liked the truck it would look good with all my outher lawn ornimates." My brother in law who used to be a big rig mechanic said that it may not be as bad as i think but i dont know what to think when the driveline spins in circles other then the way it is intended and Oil is flowing out not just by the tires but at driveline Also I began to hear a difference and notice a difference in the ride and I didnt want to chance it with all the great luck i had with towing companies and decided to leave it.
I thank you all for your help and will post pictures of the mess when i get it home if it hasnt been scrapped out already
oh Girlfreind or wife whatever was on here trying to figure out how to thank you all too.

joey

I did remove the vent My brother in law asked me about that also I wont be taking the wife out for dinner ill probabley watch our dauhter hannah so she can weld on my trailer. she was very disapointed that i took her away from that to help me play in oil. She now says that she is mad that she didnt get to drive it while it worked but she is sick of hearing about it and tired of me hogging the computer to look at pictues of 6x6's.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
LOL, it's a good sign that the thing she's most upset about is that she didn't get to drive it! She'll get her chance. The repairs probably won't be all that bad. There's so danged much oil in there, it can look like a tanker ship dumped its whole load of oil on the ground, and your levels won't even be below the minimums!

$6000 for a 100 mile tow and an oil leak? That's pure B.S. A 100 mile commercial tow ought to cost two or three hundred dollars. I hope you laughed out loud at the fools who quoted $6k. You must not have reached a real commercial towing service yet! There's nothing special about a deuce... it's just like any other 3-axle truck on the road when it comes to towing. The tow truck driver pulls out your driveshaft with an impact wrench running off his truck's air system, tosses the shaft in the back of your truck, picks up the front axle with his underlift, and drives away. Happens a hundred times every day, and none of the commercial towing companies I've ever used batted an eye at dragging a military truck. Other than being interested in something a little bit different than what they usually drag.

Anyway, it sounds like you have things under control since it's off the road, you're back at home, and you've lined up a truck to pull it with. If you're going to tow it with the rear wheels rolling on the ground, then remove the driveshaft going from the transfer case to the middle axle first. The short shaft between the middle and rear axles can stay. If the front wheels will be on the ground, then pull the front driveshaft, too.

Let us know if you need any more advice! We're looking forward to seeing pics when you get your new toy home!

EDITED TO ADD: I should mention that with the driveshaft pulled, the parking brake won't do anything useful. So, have some big chocks ready to park it! It's good to have chocks handy, anyway, since that driveline parking brake is pretty marginal on a good day.

joey

$6000 for a 100 mile tow and an oil leak? That's pure B.S. A 100 mile commercial tow ought to cost two or three hundred dollars. I hope you laughed out loud at the fools who quoted $6k. You must not have reached a real commercial towing service yet!
The towing was not included that was $300 to tow it 20 miles to the repair shop. I didn't laugh I just hung up.

bugei

did you all catch that joey's wife was "going to weld on his trailer". and that she is bummed that she did not get to drive the new beast. she should be giving "wife lessons", my wife can't weld. i'm sending her back to school now, with the line "joey's wife can weld".

a bigger truck is often a good answer to a break down.

FreightTrain

Banned
Refill it and drive.Stop and recheck about 40-50 miles in and refill as needed.Remember,Full doesn't mean all the way to the fill plug.Full is a little below the filler plug.It takes a little over 7 gallons to do a Gear oil change bumper to bumper.That is if you totally drain the gear boxes and refill.You should be good with a single bucket and have plenty left over since you more than likely only have one gear box leaking.

FreightTrain

Banned
nf6x said:
EDITED TO ADD: I should mention that with the driveshaft pulled, the parking brake won't do anything useful. So, have some big chocks ready to park it! It's good to have chocks handy, anyway, since that driveline parking brake is pretty marginal on a good day.

Actually,I beg to differ.Like any other system on these rigs,if properly maintained it works wonderfully.My parking before the cable froze would stall the engine.

mangus580

FreightTrain said:
nf6x said:

Actually,I beg to differ.Like any other system on these rigs,if properly maintained it works wonderfully.My parking before the cable froze would stall the engine.
Ummmm if the driveshaft is pulled, the Parking brake is NOT doing anything!!!! (ie will not stop the truck!)