• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my m246a1 (reaper) home!

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big shout out to Simp for getting my m246a1 to me! 110% recommend even if to just chill.

As the title says, I got my new to me m246a1 home today. It was delivered last night, bought almost 2 months ago but weather prevented me from getting it until this week. I was able to drive it home this evening and boy what a ride!

This one has been modified by the PO. It sports m939 series axles with air brakes. Even has the parking brake valve in the cab! The transmission, transfer case and engine were swapped into this truck around 10 years ago If I’m not mistaken. The Mack has just the right throatiness and has just the perfect turbo harmonics.

She has some minor rust in one fender and needs a good paint job. Truck ran great but has a sticky accelerator. I have it a few shots of seafoam deep creek which helped some but I still had to mind the pedal. The clutch pedal also made some scrapy noises which I believe might be the linkage. The only lights that didn’t work was the tail lights (missing) and I blew a headlight. Others including the pole lights worked. The crane also works!

I plan to live it up, change the oil, work on getting some good tires for it and work on doing the minor things it needs done. She smokes quite a bit but has sat for awhile. Filter change and some additive should help. Sounds great! Shifts smooth too. Brakes work great as well. The springer seat is going to be replaced with an air ride seat I have here. Not that I don’t mind feeling like I’m in a rocking chair while driving but I’d like to at least look a little serious while driving and not like I’m on a pogo stick!

To do:
I plan to bolt down the tranny tunnel, it was loose
Fluids
Grease
Tires
Replace mirrors
Air ride seat
Update lights- tail lights were missing, I have some, and I blew a head light.
Install windshield washer I have here
Paint
Minor rust repair

I will be using it as a yard truck mainly, definitely until the above are addressed. But now the moment y’all been waiting for……coming to you from my little slice of Kentucky is The Reaper!

FF4A0CD8-AA72-4E89-A0BF-7530B8839454.jpeg

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like only the brake backing plates were swapped, not the entire axle. The main data plate says M246, manufactured by International. I do believe that truck is a 1950's manufactured truck that originally was gas.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes and I were chatting about it when he got it loaded. It's a strange combination of things: M246, Mack, air brakes, etc so I want to know its history. Congrats on the buy!

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes indeed. I am going to try and find out some more details. What I was told was that the m246 was used as a yard crane for Band Surplus in NY. The guy I bought it from said they swapped in 936 axles with airbrakes, new style power steering, replaced the transfer case and transmission with rebuilt/reconditioned units. Now, how much of that is true is yet to be seen but I do know she has airbrakes and that it makes the driving experience more comfortable. Not a perfect truck but probably the best starting point I have had in a long time, The data plate says it originally was an International Harvester with a 1955 manufacture date. The Mack was installed sometime later.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
This m246a1 was definitely a Mack back in the 1990s, I'd suspect it was done by the military but it's possible it was done later. The truck has been listed since the at least the later 1990s in magazines. Back then it still had hydraulic brakes and a set of air brake axles were included. Here are a couple not too great pictures of it at Plattsburgh Diesel Service. I'd suspect these pictures are from 1995 or maybe 1996 at the latest.
m246a1 at PDS.jpgm246a1 at PDS 2.jpg

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This m246a1 was definitely a Mack back in the 1990s, I'd suspect it was done by the military but it's possible it was done later. The truck has been listed since the at least the later 1990s in magazines. Back then it still had hydraulic brakes and a set of air brake axles were included. Here are a couple not too great pictures of it at Plattsburgh Diesel Service. I'd suspect these pictures are from 1995 or maybe 1996 at the latest.
View attachment 860614View attachment 860613
That is great info! I appreciate that!

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be illegal to have this much fun! However, I did discover that I have a few hydraulic leaks at some of the fittings on the crane . I ran it for a test today (moved a deuce frame). It did fine but leaked frothy white fluid. I figure she’s getting air in the system. I also moved a dead m246 and m54. Didn’t even feel them back there. Didn’t use the crane for that, just pulled them. Also the first time I have ever broke a bumper shackle!
D6DD9BCC-C400-4F4D-98D3-8007C89C4B6C.jpeg9715E042-55F3-4196-8150-02DCF2645125.jpeg

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It should be illegal to have this much fun! However, I did discover that I have a few hydraulic leaks at some of the fittings on the crane . I ran it for a test today (moved a deuce frame). It did fine but leaked frothy white fluid. I figure she’s getting air in the system. I also moved a dead m246 and m54. Didn’t even feel them back there. Didn’t use the crane for that, just pulled them. Also the first time I have ever broke a bumper shackle!
View attachment 860752View attachment 860751
I would say that your co-pilots had a big adventure in the big truck!

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say that your co-pilots had a big adventure in the big truck!
They loved it! I let the youngest get in the crane with me. Was getting ready to get my girl in there and one of the hydraulic lines inside the cab started leaking. Tearing into it tonight, hopefully have it fixed by this weekend.

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a little fun the other day. A guy traded me a truck and was needing some help to hook up his tow bar to the one I traded him. Helped with some loading too.
2E4CD1EE-7DC0-4A4C-85C6-29AE707BB367.jpeg3EED5EB6-DE16-4F88-8F06-894C322B05F9.jpeg
D9541C98-8425-4969-896C-2903E8482379.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks