• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my new deuce home

jdr2710

Count me as another new guy to the old iron addiction! I got my 1971 deuce home today, just a 25 mile drive from a local private seller. I checked it out last weekend and made arrangements to go get it this weekend before the weather gets cold permanently (Colorado is having a heat wave, 55 degrees for the drive home!)

Thanks to the folks on the forum for the recovery checklists. Since I had checked it out I wasn't too worried, but I did bring along all the various fluids. I had to add a couple quarts of oil, and the transmission, transfer case, and front diff were all low enough that I couldn't feel any fluid in them, so after some fun topping off the transmission without a pump (need to add that to the list!) the diff and tcase were easy. I went with the 2 knuckles down fill level, and things were just barely warm after the short drive home.

She wasn't exactly fully road legal (due to no turn signals or headlights), but I had my chase truck behind me, and I kept to the back roads, and I used hand signals, so I was somewhat legalish...

She started right up, and after a good 5 minutes warming up letting the air pressure get to a safe level we headed out. I had to cross one somewhat major state highway, but out in the boonies, so we didn't have any issues there, then it was 45-50mph on the back roads all the way home. We made a couple stops to ensure that things were staying cool and happy and found no issues. The missing windshield and driver window made it a bit drafty, but not too cold given the near record highs we've been having.

I had a blast on the drive through the country, several folks waved. And that C turbo whistled a fine tune (from what I could hear through the ear muffs). I can tell I'm going to enjoy this project. Too bad I was too late getting it for this year's veteran's day parade, but I'll be ready for next year!

I've posted in the classified for parts wanted, but I'll repeat the list here too:

1) Passenger windshield, frame, brackets, glass (glass is optional)
2) Driver windshield glass (Unless its cheap I'll probably just get a local shop to cut it)
3) Driver door window, regulator, inside & outside handles, latch, clips, access panel (about the only thing I've got is the window crank handle)
4) Air intake mushroom
5) driver side engine access panel
6) turn signal unit
7) headlight bucket
:cool: two headlights
9) front turn indicator lens
10) Two west coast mirrors
11) spring seat (to replace the passenger bench)

Thanks,
Jeff

frontRightSmall.jpg

frontSmall.jpg

driverDoorInsideSmall.jpg

driverDoorOutsideSmall.jpg

frontLeftSmall.jpg

rearSmall.jpg

RightSideSmall.jpg

Carl_in_NH

Welcome to the forum.

Glad you got it home without incident. You've got some parts to scrounge - but nothing rare or difficult to locate.

mcmullag

in the Springs

Welcome, congrats on the truck. I believe I have an extra intake mushroom, you can have, it has a dent in it.
Check out the Miltary Vehicle Collectors of Colorado. We just got done with the Veterans Day Parade today in downtown. Hopefully somebody will post some pics.

kc5mzd

Nice truck. You need lots of parts but it looks like you got a good truck to start on. The 11r20 tires really help keep the rpm down if you keep it under 50mph or so.

jdr2710

Thanks to all for the welcome!

srodocker: It was $2,000, which seems fairly reasonable as the parts should run me around $1,000 depending on my scrounging/fabricating skills. I'm tempted to see what I can whip up with some aluminum or stainless steel welding for the passenger windshield frame.

mcmullag: I'll definitely take you up on the mushroom! Initially I'm not looking for the perfect restoration, more the fully road-worthy, then I'll work on the pretty-ness. I've been talking to 70deuce a bit. I wanted to come check ya'll out as you formed up for the parade this morning, but I had already scheduled the deuce pickup. I'm planning on joining MVCC so I can tap into the expertise you represent locally.

Pike's Peak would be some fun, I wonder what they would charge.... Might be worth it for the picture alone tho!

Thanks,
Jeff

williamh

finding parts should be easy .. getting a windshield with glass or just the frame should be easy ... the hard part is the gasket ...:wink: all the door hardware can be gotten easy ... if you were close i would donate to your project ... i just replaced the doors on my truck and all the hardware in my old doors is in good shape ... just going into storage for now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks