• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

got my new m1008 (need key asap)

jay741

just got my new m1008 today. when gl says incomplete they mean incompleteeee. front drive shaft is missing they didnt tell me that. also i think the truck suffered more abusive at gl then it did in the army. the rear drive shaft is now bent a little. also the truck moves like it is in neutral when it is in park. does that mean the tranny or rear end is gone? one other thing i need a key bad my dad wants it closer to the house an is not to happy. i will send you the money but need one SOON. thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why does everybody need a key, at the last minute? :oops:

Ken_86gt

All you need to do is go to your local chevy dealer with proof of ownership, such as the invoice fro GL, pay them to make a new key. They can look up the code, even though they are all the same. It will only cost about $6.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paul is thinking the same way I was, I see no urgent need for a key on your truck. With that said, how long have you known you were getting the truck? PPPPPP. PM me an address and I'll drop one in the mail tomorrow.

rlwm211

As to going to the dealer for a key,when I asked my local dealer a couple of years ago, they have that information available to them for about ten model years. That would put your CUCV out of range. I could be wrong in your case and I do hope I am wrong for your sake.

Theother solution goes like this: If it were me, I would borrow/buy/rent a steering wheel puller and column spring compressor and change the Ignition Lock Cylinder itself. The lockset is $13.99 at Advance Auito Parts and they may have the tools you need in their loaner program.

If not, a puller for the steering wheel is about $15 and you can get the column spring retaining clip out without the puller if you are able to compress it manually. That tool is about the same as the puller.

Once you have the steering wheel and sector plate off, You have to remove the emergency flasher button, spring and housing; the turn signal switch actuator; and the turn signal switch assembly. All you need do is lift the turn signal switch assembly a little out of the way, and then the lock set comes out when you take out the screw. I have done GM columns so many times, I could have the lock changed in about 15 minutes.

The whole project is pretty straight forward and if you need drawings or any further advice, email me directly.

As for the not vehicle not going into Park, you could check the linkage on the transfer case and it may be damaged too and in neiutral even with the lever in H or L. There is also a possibility that the transfer case was mangled the same as the driveshafts and it may have a bent crossmember.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you give the dealer the key code(posted in the wiki), they should be able to make you one, on the spot. My Dealer did.:wink: I see several offers to send him one, now.

jay741

thanks for all the replys guys. i am getting a key from ralbelt. i need the key to unlock the steering wheel. the truck wont be running anytime soon. i was gonna get a key from a guy in texas but it never came pry lost in the mail.