• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my truck

fasttruck

The best kept secret in the US Military is its' publication system. Get the pubs and read the reading: operator's manual, organizational manual, parts book, lubrication order. For a truck this new they should be available in digital form. Grease is cheap. Parts cost money. Air is free, tires are not. Lubricate everything. Neglect maintenance at your own peril.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Welcome aboard the Dark Side; hopefully she’ll be awakened easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Efituned

Took a closer look at the truck today...things I noticed. The truck has the red "D", I was told it means the fluids were drained. It also has tags in various locations stating the fluids have been drained. Most of the ports have been sealed with aluminum tape. However, it has fluids (engine oil, coolant, hydraulic, etc.) and a new air filter. V-band clamp missing from exhaust right at the turbo housing. Red fluid in the diesel tank. Found some maintenance in the truck from 2016 that also correlates with the coolant tag also showing 11/2016.

My plan forward is to throw some batteries in it and see if it will turn over. Then I will drain/refill most of the important fluids and attempt to start.

Any tips or suggestions to get this thing going?

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have to prime the engine, I know how to do it. I guess I should find some time to write that up or make a video.

Good looking truck! I am jealous of the ladder you have on the tailgate. My truck came with almost everything EXCEPT the ladder.

It should not have hydraulic fluid. If it looks like hydraulic fluid then something is wrong.

It looks like it has good tires. Good tires are a real blessing.

It looks really nice - well cared for. How many miles/hours are on it?

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1100 hours is good. I like a truck that has some time on it. If it has 10 hours on it then I am really worried. Why just ten? Some thing must be wrong if there is just 10 hours.

My buddy is active Army and he says they are required to run their trucks every week. They start the truck, do the -10 (dash ten), and then drive it at least 4 miles. The -10 is the checklist they go through to insure that the truck is ready to go and that any problems are reported. It takes like 15 minutes to go through the -10 so the truck is idling all that time.

The Cat C12 manual says do not allow the engine to idle for long periods of time. However, it also says to run the engine for 14 minutes after starting so it can warm up. Cat says if you drive the truck before the 14 minutes then the engine will run at reduced power.

Last edited:

Efituned

Drove my truck today for the first time. As some of you know I bought a non-runner, that had a bad ECM. I ordered a replacement ecm from Ebay for $450, it was programmed for a 3406. I flashed it for a C-12, then used the parameters file madams posted. I bought software from ebay and a used drewlinq interface. Truck runs like a champ and everything seems to be working.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! Good job. Thank you for talking about the steps you took to fix your truck. I am sure it will be helpful to many people.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks