• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got pulled over today. Smoke Issue

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Other ideas, some unlikely (and not necessarily MV)-

Oil level too high, bad turbo shaft seal(s), clogged crankcase vent, clogged or undersized turbo oil drain, turbo drain that discharges below the oil level (ex, bad design, bad oil full of water and foaming and expanding), worn rings or guides, head gasket, bad or missing thermostat, hole in pistron, fuel or oil dumped in stack by a nasty neighbor (driving should fix smoke, not sure if I can say here, how best to deal a neighbor that does that)...

Black smoke and soot is mostly carbon (impure). In combustion carbon bonds with O2 to make CO so the more O2 in the chamber the better. Unlike a gas engine a diesel can't have too much. Turbos do a lot to reduce soot/ smoke. They did offer a clean air kit for the nat aspirated deuce and the Cummings NC250 (5ton) for just this problem.

While not necessary, practicable or suggested- a bigger turbo, catalytic converters, hybrid or electric mod...

The LDS465 Troubleshooting manual-

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116454-LDS465-1-Multifuel-Engine-Troubleshooting-Manual

Good luck, and welcome to SS.

Eafarms

I took off the elbow between the turbo and intake and fired it up. Clearer smoke from the jump. Seemed to run easier too. . Didn't drive that way. But reevved a few times and smoke was light grey and dissipated quickly. There was no pressure coming out of turbo. I could cover the outlet and feel nothing. Leading me to believe its bad.

I dont really want a whistler turbo. I'd prefer a stock working unit. Or to rebuild this one. Whichever proves cheaper.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The issue with using a different turbo is finding the adapters to hook everything up. I might have a turbo like yours sitting here. Call me and we can figure out a time to meet up. Tuesday is kinda free this week.

Eafarms

are rebuild kits available for our turbos?

I thought, due to lack of whistle mine was a D. but now that I know its not spooling, I'm wondering what turbo I have.
how can one tell?

gimpyrobb

It looked like the big LDS turbo to me.

Post 27, the big LDS turbo is the only one I've seen use that intaake horn

Last edited:

Eafarms

right on, is that one of the ones commonly referred to as a C or D? or is it the LDS turbo. are these good/bad? hard to find?

Scrounger

There is a “C” model turbo and a “D” model turbo on the LDS 465 motors in the M35 vehicles. The C whistles while the D produces more boost. The Engine you have should be an LDS 465-1A motor. It uses a different turbo than the LDS 465. It is larger and has more boost. Is also has a whistle, just not as pronounced as a “C”. Everything you have posted indicated a non-working turbo. If you have a shop nearby that could rebuild it, that is an option, only you could know what’s in your area. The only other option is to find one from the various places that would have them, certain web sites, dealers etc.
They are available, it is just a function of how fast you want one and how much you are willing to pay.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a “C” model turbo and a “D” model turbo on the LDS 465 motors in the M35 vehicles. The C whistles while the D produces more boost. The Engine you have should be an LDS 465-1A motor. It uses a different turbo than the LDS 465. It is larger and has more boost. Is also has a whistle, just not as pronounced as a “C”. Everything you have posted indicated a non-working turbo. If you have a shop nearby that could rebuild it, that is an option, only you could know what’s in your area. The only other option is to find one from the various places that would have them, certain web sites, dealers etc.
They are available, it is just a function of how fast you want one and how much you are willing to pay.
Can you fix the typos in your post.

Looks like the 4LE-354 wastegate turbo which belongs on the LDS 465-1A

gimpyrobb

right on, is that one of the ones commonly referred to as a C or D? or is it the LDS turbo. are these good/bad? hard to find?
Neither, C nor D(as stated). It is a larger turbo. That is why I said it is hard to find the adapters for a regular turbo. You will need a different intake horn and also an exhaust spacer since the C and D is physically smaller. I will look tomorrow as I believe I have the turbo you need.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe your wastegate is simply stuck open.

Eafarms

Dog head- I literally just woke from a dead sleep with the waking thought that my wastegate is stuck open.

CAme on here to post that hypothesis and see how to check if it's stuck and or fix it if it is.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the bolts off the cover and see.

My guess is the spring(calibrated) is bad.

Eafarms

Florida. That was my thought too. Until I put a boost gauge on it. And saw zero psi.
Disconnected the turbo and it smoked way less and was lighter colored

Eafarms

Is there any way to tell if the spring is bad??

gonna start taking pieces off today and see if i can't pinpoint the issue.

Lukes_deuce

After reading all of this, I was going to suggest waste gate on the turbo. I was not sure if your turbo had a waste gate. Since it does, the easiest way to check is to look up shop air to a regulator and then apply air pressure to the waste gate. As your slowly increase the pressure, you should hear the waste gate open and let air by-pass. Usually around 14psi, it will start to by-pass. This is how certain turbos regulate pressure so they do not over speed and cause damage. Start off very low, at 5psi and work your way up. Im used to performance stuff, so my waste gates are set a little higher but 1 bar - 14.7 psi is a good start.

To answer your question, depending on what psi your waste gate opens, will tell you if your spring is bad. Your spring might be broken, thus leaving the waste gate open all the time and not allowing you to build any boost. It would explain the heavy smoke in the mid range and the boost gauge not reading any thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks