• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got smoke?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did some testing again today and drove the 757 up and down the driveway a few times. It smokes a bit when loaded down, but sounds great. :)
My daughter even tried it.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Got smoke?

No.2Diesel said:
[thumbzup] Probably due to not being able to reach operating temp.
How is the steering effort compared to a normal 5ton?
What it needs is a good road run. It spent its life mostly at idle at the field artillery school (Ft Sill, OK) and now hasn't been driven for a decade. A highway drive should "clean its pipes". It comes up in temp faster than the deuce and was at 160 °F when shut down after an hour.

The steering and brakes are very nice, like a sedan really, standing still I can go full left to full right with finger power and the brakes are awesome, seatbelts required.
The tires are pretty beat up, one won't hold air, so a longer road run is not in the cards at the moment.

Jon, I'm curious as well, but still haven't left 1st gear, it's very smooth though.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Got smoke?

Got a bit of mosquito abatement goin' on there! I wish I was closer so I could see and smell it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Got smoke?

WillWagner said:
Got a bit of mosquito abatement goin' on there! I wish I was closer so I could see and smell it.
Ha ha ha, smell it yeah, it wasn't too bad, just a hint of veggie since I'm weaning it on bio fuels, but with still only one tank, not a high percentage of VO.
Every time I turn around there is another thing to work on, found out that the stop light switch isn't working, there is more wiring to do, nuts to torque, cab top, heater exhaust, air filter replacement, wiring and air lines to the dromedary, hosetenna work and on and on........

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Got smoke?

Bjorn, thats an outstanding truck! Is this the standard mil 5th wheel on its back?

By the way, how are the chances to get a complete rig together (I understand that there is also a middle part where the rocket sits on and the motorized back)?

Regards,
Mark

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Got smoke?

Mark, the Pershing missile trailer/launcher is no more, they were destroyed according to the Intermediate Nuclear missile treaty in the early 1990's. Most of these vehicles were stationed in Germany, 3 batallions, some 300 vehicles and one training batallion at Ft Sill Oklahoma. This one came from Ft Sill.
They are valuable as scrap because of the aluminum, should be a bunch over there near where you are, Holland perhaps.
The 5th wheel is standard military, although this particular one came from an M52A2.

Attachments

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn:
Excellent work! Congratulations! There are mixed feelings among people about additives, but I can say my son and I have had very good luck with Lucas fuel additive for diesels. You might try a strong dose of it to help clean up the fuel system and combustion chambers. We also find it to work well to prevent fouling in gas engines that do not get worked hard enough.
Regards Marti

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marti, if a hard drive won't clean it up, I'll resort to additives, I'm not concerened at this time considering its history. Engine is very responsive and sounds great. The whine from the cooling fan is as loud as the engine almost. The turbo is only audible when I let up the "gas" as it spools down.
One other consideration is the fact that the crankcase breather fumes are dumped into the exhaust via a valve (part of the under water running requirements). I plan to change that, but for now it may add to the smoke, in particular if some oil is present, which would burn off.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice job, Bjorn! There looks like there should be something behind the cab, according to the picture from the manual. What is missing?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike_Pop said:
Bjorn,
Next time I pass through, we will have to go for a ride! It's looking good!
That's a given Mike.

Mike, the "dromedary" platform is off so that I could get access to the wiring and plumbing. I also have a 10KW genset for it, not the correct one, since the one used for the missile was a 400 Hz jobber, mine is 60 Hz.
There are "foot prints" on the platform from the original spare tire (for the trailer) and gen set. Those foorprints will stay, I'm not sanding those off. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks