• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got some work done on my Deuce today

It was a good day today, got some work done on my Deuce. I started out by putting the water manifolds back on with plenty of antisieze and new grade 8 bolts. Lets hope we don't have to go through that again.

After that I started working on flushing my cooling system... drained everything out at the petcock on the radiator (still never managed to find the other engine block drain, looks like I'll need to take the air filter canister off) and then removed the radiator cap, stuck a garden hose inside and let it idle at about 1250RPM for a while and a little higher later on.

After letting it run through the system I capped it off and drove to truck for a while, and tonight worked on changing the oil and filters. Started out by removing the oil pan plug at the front (made a mess) then removed the one towards the rear (made another mess) and then couldn't find the correct plug to remove to drain the canisters, so I loosened them up and you guessed it, made another mess, and replaced the filters.

After refilling the Deuce with oil and starting it up I noticed some oil leaking from the top bolt on the canister closest to the front of the engine. I loosened it up and then torqued it back down to 60lbs, then went a little bit more and it seemed to have stopped leaking.

I'll drain and refill and flush the cooling system with well water once more, then fill it up with diesel engine coolant and distilled water on Thursday.

Here's a little video... man I love the sound of that turbo :driver:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_BzLa13fhI[/media]

When making the video I think I found out why my alternator is not working... watch closely and you can see the belt slipping and the alternator turning very slowly. Hopefully it just needs to be adjusted and its not a bad bearing or something. I would think if it was tight and slipping that much the belts would have overheated and broken... so that'll be another project for Thursday.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I honestly think them "C" turbos...the whistlers.... were designed by satan himself.
I can't think of anyone or anything else that can send me into a blind rage just by the mention of the name!!! :shock:

Westex

Don't rely on the video of your alternator turning over slowly, if you filmed it with a modern cell phone. I filmed a helicopter last weekend with a new blackberry and noticed the rotors looked like they were turning over v e r y s l o w l y in comparison with the actual rate, when viewed from the blackberry video. Visually check your alternator with your eyes. And check the belt tension.

More good news today - loosened the bolt on the alternator bracket, then used a long piece of pipe to apply some pressure to the side of the alternator and tightened the bolt back down, fired it up and... its charging! :jumpin:

I also *think* I found the petcock to drain the engine block, I unscrewed the petcock, nothing came out, then I unscrewed the entire petcock assembly, and nothing came out, so I have a feeling something is stuck up there behind it... I'll remove the whole petcock assembly again and stick a paper clip or something up there tomorrow and hopefully dislodge whatever is clogging up the drain this Sunday.

I drove the Deuce to the NAPA today :)mrgreen:) and ordered some more Fleet Charge diesel antifreeze which I'll pick up tomorrow and put in Sunday as well. I got 4 gallons of antifreeze... is a 50/50 mix of antifreeze/distilled water appropriate for these engines? I looked at the table in the TM but I'm not sure if the Fleet Charge coolant is the same type.

Feels good to be getting stuff fixed up on this truck, I like it more and more every time I get behind the wheel.