• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got the Axe....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the axe off the garage floor today to do a comparison. Yesterday while shopping at Hotel Delta (Home Depot) I came across a replacement axe handle. It looks surprisingly close to the axe off my deuce except my handle was so weathered and dry, it snapped just picking it up. I was comparing them today and this handle is an exact match. For $10.49 I'll have a perfect axe. Forgive the quality of the pics, came from the phone. I'll get a clearer pic of the handle and a pic of it all together. I was happy as heck to find this handle.

Attachments

wiggall

My Grandfather taught me when buying a replacement handle for what ever to look at the grain of the wood in the handle. you want the grain of the wood to run streight bown the handle.In the direction that the force is going to be applaid.

FSBruva

RE: Re: RE: Got the Axe....

Did a double take when I saw the post title and author.... You had me worried, Kenny!!!

Glad to hear it's good news, congrats!

Matt

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The company I used to work for ( late 70's to 2001) supplied many of the pioneer tools, wrecking bars, pinch bars, pry bars, and other tools to AM General for what I believe was their wrecker program. All of the tools were standard off the shelf US made tools from such companies as True Temper, Ames, Union, Woodings and a host of others. Most were painted 383 prior to shipment to AM General. So,any good quality US made axe, or replacement handle, should be correct.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
I dunno Kenny, that car looks "suspect" to me. Do you fly black heilos on the weekend too?
Thats me wifes work car, she does the black helicopter thing.

ida34

Has anyone found the correct pioneer shovel? The ones I have found have been too long. I have been meaning to cut down one I have to make it the right length but if anyone has a part number for the correct shovel I would love to hear it.

Blake

Go to yard sales and flea markets. The old shovels can be picked up for couple dollars a piece when someone is cleaning out their shed and the old shovels (civilian) are the right size and length. Might even find a OD painted military one if you are lucky. The military shovels were made by civilian contractors such as ames as previously posted. Our hardware store had an old ames display that was taken off the sales floor years ago and put in attic and had 3 brand new shovels with the closed back reinforement (not just a hole for the handle to stick through the shovel head). Needless to say, they are on my vehicles now. :D

Hit the flea markets. Who buys old rusty shovels? That is why they are cheap. In todays world, everyone just buys a new ones and wouldn't think about cleaning up an old one for yardwork.

Boatcarpenter

I tried searching but didn't find what I was looking for, but I know this has been discussed in great detail before. I'm sure that CGarbee either has it on his website or knows a link to quite a description of the proper tools for the Pioneer Tool rack. Maybe someone with better search skills than I can find it or Cabell will post up the info.
BC

saddamsnightmare

June 29th, 2008.

Olive Drab.com has an article on the Pioneer Rack Tools that lists the NSN numbers, if you take the numbers and have your hardware guy call his supplier, they could probably get the civillian direct equivalent for you.... Also check Saturn Surplus...... :grd:
fat lady sings
Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce...
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A APU Gas Gen Set
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S404.114 MB

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, as I was installing the handle on the axe head the other day I took a closer loke at it. Turns out that the Ames True Temper handle is an exact replacement for the True Temper 4# axe head that the gov't used. It's installed and working well. I'll try to grab a pic if I can find my camera.

ygmir

Recovry4x4 said:
gimpyrobb said:
I dunno Kenny, that car looks "suspect" to me. Do you fly black heilos on the weekend too?
Thats me wifes work car, she does the black helicopter thing.
Is that her that waves to me as they circle me........cute in that black helmet and Zorro mask.......... :p :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks