• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

got the deuce home and found the oil leak

smeeg

Ok so i got my new deuce home 360 mile trip. Roughly 200 miles from home i realized there was an oil leak it was all over the underbelly. So i checked my oil topped her off and figured i will find the leak when i get her home the next day. Today i found the leak one of the transmission drain plugs is completely missing!!! i would have further investigated if i thought it was tranny fluid/gear oil but i assumed it was engine oil it is black as can be.

so my questions do you think i royally screwed my transmission? it didn't grind and was smooth the whole way home.

second question where can i get this drian plug/ part number#?

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please attach pictures, not link them.

And use capitalization.

You need to look at the -24 or 34P TM, for a part number. Then Google it and you'll probably find what you need.

Last edited:

hoop

It is a 3/4 pipe plug.
Edit....Pics added...Yes that is the keeper hole. Rear seal.
Edit again....The transmission will leak there also if it has too much fluid.

Last edited:

eagle4g63

Nothing is missing!!! the hole is suppose to be there.....the plug that you DO have is only in it's storage hole, for a lack of a better term. You remove that plug and install it in the hole that is open ONLY when you are going to go deep water fording.

As for the leak, if you have your motor oil too full it will leak out the rear main(another reason you leave that hole open) so it will come out that drain hole, also if the trans is over full it will do the same thing.

smeeg

Your investigation has failed. That hole is design only to be pluged when fordging water. Hence the plug thread into it keeper. You more than likely have a rear main seal leak.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ-vkMESHXg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]
thank you very much i feel stupid

The holes in your pictures are the bell housing vent designed to vent off outgassing created by the friction of the clutch. The hole next to it is to keep the plug that is used to close the bell housing vent when deep-water fording. Before crossing any deep stream or river, you remove the plug from the keeper hole and put it in the vent to keep the clutch dry and keep mud or dirt out. During normal driving, the plug should be in the keeper hole and the bell housing vent open so you can see the flywheel through the vent. Heavysteven is right in that if you're losing oil there, you're likely looking at a bad rear main seal and you should keep an eye on the engine oil level. When you check your oil, first fire the engine and wait untill the low air buzzer shuts off and the oil pressure comes up to normal level, then shut down and check the oil level. You want to check the oil immediately after running the engine so that the oil filters are full and then top off as needed.
:driver:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone has not read their tech manuals!

SMOKEWAGON66

thank you very much i feel stupid
Dont feel stupid. Your just new, thats all. Most of these guys have done the same thing or something similar at some point in their MV career. Heck, even Ive done it. No one here knows everything, all of it has to be learned. Preferably by reading the TM's for your particular strain of MV. Thats the best place to start. This is more of a backup for when you cant figure the TMs out and the awesome search function up top here, yields no results..

Welcome to the madness. Take it all with a grain of salt, otherwise it can get pretty bitter and tasteless lol. :beer:

3dAngus

If you feel stupid, I've probably had a double lobotomy and forgot I had one.

I KNOW NOTHING!

Best reason in the world to cling to SS. Don't worry about it.

sparragh

After just completing an 850 mile trip home with my recent purchase, I too noticed oil all over the right side of the engine, right wheel well, battery box, and the whole undercarriage. Half way home I checked the oil level and found that the level indicated on the dip stick showed about 3 inches above the full mark. Up until the leak I was getting 7.23 mpg, after noticing the leak I was getting 7.96 mpg! do I have fuel leaking into the crankcase? oil pressure remained constant throughout the whole trip, no noticeable loss of power, temperature remained constant. I'm at a loss to try to find out where this mystery mess came from.

Heath_h49008

Could be slobber tube... but the way the fan blows stuff around your only way to be certain is a good degreasing of the engine and then running it to find the leak.

Does your oil smell like diesel? Has your FDC been bypassed?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks