• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got the MV bug in Wisconsin

Umingmaq

Hey guys,

My name is Matt Magolan and I live in Madison, WI. I am new to the military vehicles affliction and I'm trying to convince my wife that we need an M35A3, an M923A2 or an M925A2. I can only afford one, so don't even recommend all three.

I'd like to cultivate contacts who know about MV's who can help me with info specific to Wisconsin for parts, etc. and the ins-and-outs of MV's in Wisconsin.

My user name was the nickname given to me by the Inuit people of Arctic Canada, with whom I lived in a small village in 1997-1998. It means Muskox, or bearded one, because I had a big burly beard at the time.

Thanks for your time,
Matt

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome....I'm a month in myself and already looking at the GL site for what awaits in Sparta.

(Farm in Elkhorn, M817)

p.s. Tell your wife you could of bought a Porsche....1 car.....or a fleet of FMV's (they all like the "I bought 4 purses for the price of one" ......at $500 a pop)

trukhead

Welcome to the site. Do a search and find out about the work being done for Wisconsin licensing and use laws for MVs.
This one is critical:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politi...ation-rights-act.html?highlight=Wisconsin+Law

I live about 15 minutes north of you. If you want to ride around in a M35A3, you can come out to the farm and we will ride around in mine, off road as I have not titled it yet. I just run it to town to get fuel but I consider it an offroad truck covered under farm machinery until I get it titled and licensed, so we can only drive around in the fields. :driver::grin:

Type in "Wisconsin Laws" in search to see the circle jerk that has gone on in this state and the good work being done as we speak![thumbzup]

Last edited:

skinnedknuckles

Welcome from Janesville,
Read the postings about Wisconsin and our fine Dot in the politics forums, but don't let that scare you away from owning one of these trucks !! If it was such a bad thing to have these trucks , well .... I would have just stayed with building up newer Jeeps to play with. Tell your wife some of the reasons that you need one like, its cool, no one pays much attention to just your regular car that you get off of the showroom floor but get in an army truck and you'll turn heads, it makes for a great grocery getter, the list goes on and on.... Get one and cruise on over to Quaker Steak and Lube in Middleton on a Thursday night this summer for their car show and tower higher than anything else there.
Paul

lacoda56

Welcome to the site! I'm just east of you in the big town (small dump) of Cottage Grove. Stop out sometime and say hello! And there's always Poofstock in Watertown!

Ron

dogtags

Welcome from east-central WI!

Many people have already talked about the registration issue, so I won't. :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them. Someone here probably knows the answer.

~Robert

englishmauser

Welcome Matt, I recommend buying one with a clean title. I personally would not buy anything with just a bill of sale or a SF 97 in someone's else's name unless it was for parts or off road use. WI DMV very hard to deal with, I know this from my own experience.

As far as choosing a type of MV, I bought my wife's M715 because it was close to my home and a good deal. You may want to do the same unless you really want a specific model. Good luck and maybe I'll see you at a MV event sometime.

Fishtail

Welcome from up north.

Keep watching GL at Sparta/Ft. McCoy, they have alot of good trucks there. And watch GSA, the lot is at Waunakee, and they usually have some decent trucks there, too.

And get to Iola for the military show in August.

Scott

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from West Central Wisconsin. I'm 2 hours and 15 minutes north of you. I have purchased a few trailers from GL. I had to wait close to 2 months after I won while they approved me the first time. Second time 4 weeks. I knew it going in, so I should not complain. The only bad part was they take your money at auction end and you sit with no truck and no money for a long time. It is tough for a guy who likes the excitement and immediate gratification. If you can find one on GSA, you can pick it up the next day. Unfortunately you still have to deal with a non-titled vehicle and jump thru the DMV nightmare.
I have 3 old GMC 6x6s. Never had even a hint of trouble getting titles or plates. People at the DMV service counter were awesome, of course they all had previousy been issued titles. One from SD and another from MN and another from WI. I only have license plates on one, a M220 converted to a camper. It is licensed as a motorhome because that is what it is now. It cost me about $100 a year. The other truck was licensed and titled in WI before I purchased it. The guy had no issues. Of course he had regular farm plates on it.
I'm not sure, but it seems like if you stick with the Truck/farm/MH registration you won't have problems. You will pay more. I will register my next one as a Hobbyist or Collector vehicle. I researched it a while back, but cannot remember which one had the weight restriction. Registration would cost me about $300 one time if I recall correctly. I looked into historic military Vehicle plates and it was way too restrictive. I don't believe you were allowed to even take the family for a Sunday drive or go to a drive in unless it was in association with some military event.
I had a discussion with a DMV'er a few years back about licensing a m38a1. He was against putting military plates on it. He felt I just wanted to pay a one time fee and drive it every day like a regular truck without paying our fair share. We did not want to wait 3 months for the approval process and licensed it as a car. It had a back seat, he balked at that too. We took pics to back it up. We left with a temporary plate as we ordered personal "55 M38A1" Had to pay $70 every year for renewal.

I guess I would look on the internet and buy a truck with a title. One you can test drive. If you look around, you can find one. Good luck!

2cents
Dan

Last edited:

Darrick23

I live in marshall Wi and am a new member to the SS site and I like it alot! Just bought a m35a2 whistler from Alabama and am awating its delivery! We should pile in the back and go this summer... Fun!

kennys@wi.rr.com

Welcome to the site. I know it has been mentioned in here at least once but I would recomend coming out to Poofstock. It's all of 50 miles away from you and I know for sure there will be at least two of the three trucks you mentioned there. If you come on out and talk with the owners I can almost guarantee you will get some wheel time in them. If nothing else at least a ride. That is the best thing when you are starting out in the hobby. Meet a bunch of us who have them and some of us who have had to sneak one in past our wives. I of course don't know who would ever do that. It's April 28th and if you want to camp out it runs to the 29th. The convoy ride on the 28th though is the highlite of the whole weekend. Hope you make it a point to check us out. And as always we are wife and kid friendly.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/steel-soldiers-rally/82095-spring-poofstock-2012-a.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks