• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got to drive my first 5 ton

oilcan

I went to columbus to help drive some 818's off the lot on Tuesday, but it turned out only one of them was road worthy. One needed fluids we didn't have, one was about out of fuel, and the last just wouldn't start. There were also paperwork issues that didn't jive with one of the trucks.

Anyhoo, since I was the guest of the group I got the honor. The power steering is definitely the way to go on these bigger trucks. Now I have to mod the deuce. I figured the rear would bounce around more than it did, but the ole' girl soaked up the potholes and busted up bridge approaches at least as well as an unloaded M35. I knew I liked XL's when I put a set on the 715, and they work well on the 5 tons, too. Of course, a lot of you already know that. Running 55 on the highway wasn't a problem, but the big trucks still passed me. Oh well.

My wish-list gets bigger all the time... I just need to figure out which model I like the most, and which one I can actually afford.

Attachments

ida34

Oilcan,
Are you going back anytime soon? I need my M818 checked out to see if she is a runner. I hope to come get her the first week of April. Let me know if you can help. Kipman said he would help me out but if you are going to be there anyway there would be no point to him making a special trip.

Thanks
Chuck

alphadeltaromeo

oilcan - thanks for sharing the story and the pics with us. I'm excited to go get my M818 here in the next few weeks (if the EUC completes that is). What did you think of the acceleration and general over all power of the truck?

Andy

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I 'd love to drive a 5T. Did it have a multi, Cummins 855 or a Cummins C in it?

oilcan

RE: Re: RE: Got to drive my first 5 ton

Chuck, the next time I go back it'll most likely be with Kip, so we'll both be there at the same time. If you look real close in the first pic you can see Kip's head. I'm sorry I forgot you needed the checkout, but this was a short notice thing.

Andy, the acceleration was really nice. It's not my truck so I didn't thrash it at all, but there seemed to be plenty of power to go around. At least compared to my deuce.

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Got to drive my first 5 ton

No problem. I am planning on towing but if it runs it would be nice just to drive it home. Let me know what you guys find out. Kip has the info.

Thanks
Chuck