• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gots me a deuce!!!! Yahoooo!!

area52

Well I won one over at Port Hueneme CA. I was surprised how low the prices were. I threw caution to the wind and bid without looking at them so the one I won probably doenst have a tranny or something like that.

Anyway the question is - how much do you think it will run me to ship it about 800-900 miles? I was thinking about driving or flying out there and getting it in running shape and driving it back but the cost of gas( or plane ticket) for two vehicles( mine and the deuce) plus any repairs needed might be close to shipping costs.

Any thoughts? Any one close to Oxnard CA?

thanks

Wade
new deuce owner
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=778618

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
area52,
Welcome.

NICE TRUCK! Call up the base that your deuce is on. Be really nice to the operator and ask for the motor pool. BE REALLY, REALLY NICE to whomever answers the phone.

Tell them you just won a deuce and was wondering if ANYONE who works at the motor pool would be willing (for a fee of course) to inspect your truck and get back with you as to it's ability to run or not.

I paid $100 to a motor pool guy to look over a MAN 8x8 truck. That was cheap compared to the price of the truck. PLUS, ask whomever is doing the inspection if they know anything about these trucks. If they have worked in the motor pool for any length of time they will know these trucks well. And could probably fix any minor problems yours might have.

Hope that helps.

AGAIN, WELCOME and CONGRATULATONS!!

jatonka

YAAAAA HOOOOOOOOO

Hi Wade, looks like you got a nice deuce, it's old but the upgrades are new. Looks real clean, hardtop, you'll do OK. JT on the other coast

area52

Mapquest says 840 door to door and my truck gets maybe 15 MPG. Looks like about $260 for gas for my truck. Figure 8 MPG for the deuce one way looks like $280 for a grand total of $540 just in gas. Shipping has to at least twice that so maybe a road trip is in order after all the paper work is done. GL says 45 days or more for the EUC so we will see maybe in April?

Wallew - thanks for the tip, I will try it out.

Wade
new deuce owner

carguy455

Sweet Deuce Wade ! Might be worth either checking transpo prices, OR get some of the guys from the board here co ordinated to help you out, I have found that although getting a group of people together on a project, the more eyes and hands involved the better things go. But there is nothing more fun than driving something "unknown" home, it can be a big dumb fun adventure. If that doesnt sound like fun to you than dont try it, otherwise go for it and by all means take PICTURES and post them !!

Congrats ! Cool truck, good price !!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a decent truck. Its older as evidenced by the gasser fenders and headlight doors but the engine appears fresh. It's also got 2 springer seats which is cool unless you ride 3 in the cab. It looks surprisingly complete. I would guess about $2.00 a loaded mile for transport. Not sure I would drive it if they won't give the SF97 or title paperwork. Good thing is there not asking you to sign a declaration prohibiting it from road use. Might be worth a hop up to give it a good inspection to see whats actually needed. While there get 2 really cheap batteries and hook them up to see whats working and not working.

Crazy_Matt

Might even concider renting a cheapie rental car or a buy a $50 one way plane ticket like my dad did a few weeks ago when he drove the truck back

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
To give you an idea on shipping. I bought 3 dueces out of Port Hueneme last year which is about 40 miles from me. They all looked great online but none were in running condition, they had all been sitting for at least 5 years. I got several quotes to have just one towed back home, they were all $400 and up for 40 miles. I paid $600 to have a duece brought back on a low boy from Vandenberg AFB a couple of years ago (150 miles). I might have some time in a few weeks and can possibly head over there to inspect it for you or even help you flat tow it out of there to a place to work on it. Last time I was there the site manager was really cool about letting us work on them for about 5 hrs. Send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. Do you have to wait for the End Use Certificate or do you have clearance already? If you dont, the process can take about 6 months so you'll have plenty of time to prepare. The good thing is its "F7" which in my experiences means its probably a good runner. Looks like a new motor in there and all the pedals are up and not resting on the floorboard. Could be a good truck. PM me and we'll try and set something up. Devin

kenny

Looks nice!!
I have always wanted on but being that I only know how to drive them and have no clue how to work on them or a place to keep one I have just stayed with the CUCV trucks
The one in Killeen Texas went for 1900 and did not look half that nice.
You scored man!!!
I am very happy for you and hope she starts right up with some batterys.

area52

thanks for the kind words guys. Yes, I have to wait on my EUC so it will be a while until I can pick it up.

Devin - thanks for the info and offer, I will send you a PM.

area52

Got a shipping quote from the recomended shippers on GL
Quote was $2600 plus $650 loading charge at Port Hueneme! Yikes! I guess I am driving it home.

On the pictures from GL, the #6 picture shows the steering shaft and some sort of heat sink? with a small wire and a large hose/wire attached to it located on the fender. What is this? looks new and not military.

thanks again guys

Wade
new deuce owner

williamh

just rember 45 day or MORE ! i waited 8 months for them to complete the backround check ....

won it in november ... they origionaly said 30 days ...then 45 days .... then 180 days .. it cleared late the following july , they said it if didnt clear in 9 months that the sale would be void.... like 2 days before the 9 month deadline they e-mailed me the approval to get my truck ... :p

mine looked worse than that ... i put batterys in it and drove it home. just rember if you plan on driving it home to stop at the dmv first and get a 1 trip permit to drive it home .it only costs 10.00 and dosent expire untill you fill it out to use it . :wink: :beer:

area52

Man I hope it doesn't take that long! Oh well I will just give me more time to get all the tools/supplies in order.

So how do you tell gasser fenders from non-gasser fenders?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was wondering how to tell the gasser fenders apart as well as the headlight doors-I always hear people saying "early" and "late" pieces, I'd like toknow how to tell them apart...

Hey Area 52,

Congrats on your new ride. I was watching those trucks but unfortunately I was out of town during bidding so I never even went down there to look. Didn't want to tease myself. You are right, they all went for a good price. Some of them even looked to have new engines in them.

I am even closer to Port Where-am-I than Djfreema (Devin) - like 20 minutes away. Devin knows a lot more about these trucks and the ins and outs of the process but I am here to help you as well. Between the two of us we should be able to help you get the dream truck outa there. The shipper I used (Towing Company near Port Hueneme using a lowbed) to haul my truck from Northern California ran $1300.00 - about $3 a mile. If you want I can get you the number for comparison.

If it is driveable, I have room at my place if you just want to drive it out of there and then do a full go-over before you head for home.

Again, congratulations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks