• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gov-lok

Have you ever had troubles with your Gov-lok?

• Yes

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 70.4%

• Total voters

McCluskey

I've been reading around about the Gov-lok on M1009s. I've gotten quite a bit of mixed answers. Anything from; 'I've never had problems' to 'It blows up everytime, I had to put on a different kind of axel.' I'd like to ask all the M1009 owners if they have ever had issues with their Gov-lok. If so, please tell me about when it happened.

acmunro

Snapped an axle shaft with one. I blamed the slamming engagement for that one. Replaced my entire differential with one from an older 1/2 ton truck (12 bolt) Had it lying around. Been working good since. The new axle also has Gov-Lok

AJMBLAZER

Mine was in a '92 Blazer K1500 (the last fullsize 2 door body style after they went to IFS). Sorta just "went away" after 65k or so. By 102k when I sold the truck it was like I had an open diff. I figured it was on borrowed time.

1956_4x4

I worked vehicle maintenance during my 26 years in the AF. During that time I can only remember one gov-loc going out in a M1009. They aren't my best choice for a limited slip differential, but I think they do a fine job for their designed use. Most of the problems I have heard of involve much larger tires, rock crawling, heavy wheeling, or something else that the vehicle wasn't really designed to do. Not to offend any M1009 owners, but I've always looked at the M1009 as a 4wd with "light" off-road capabilities.

Smitty

McCluskey

I worked vehicle maintenance during my 26 years in the AF. During that time I can only remember one gov-loc going out in a M1009. They aren't my best choice for a limited slip differential, but I think they do a fine job for their designed use. Most of the problems I have heard of involve much larger tires, rock crawling, heavy wheeling, or something else that the vehicle wasn't really designed to do. Not to offend any M1009 owners, but I've always looked at the M1009 as a 4wd with "light" off-road capabilities.

Smitty
Does putting deeper gears into a M1009, such as 3.43s or 3.73s put any more/less strain on the Gov-lok?

AJMBLAZER

Does putting deeper gears into a M1009, such as 3.43s or 3.73s put any more/less strain on the Gov-lok?
No because while you're regearing you take the Gov Lock out and put something better in.

Most of the ones I saw fail were under stock or stockish trucks. Seen them fail from offroading and big tires too but most of the folks I know with big tires and big trucks have already ditched them by then.

That and the 14FF Gov Lock is a bit more reliable (if still lackluster in performance) simply due to the fact that it and the carrier are much larger.

I always heard 25mph was where Gov Lock stopped working.

McCluskey

No because while you're regearing you take the Gov Lock out and put something better in.

Most of the ones I saw fail were under stock or stockish trucks. Seen them fail from offroading and big tires too but most of the folks I know with big tires and big trucks have already ditched them by then.

That and the 14FF Gov Lock is a bit more reliable (if still lackluster in performance) simply due to the fact that it and the carrier are much larger.

I always heard 25mph was where Gov Lock stopped working.
I don't want to change much out to begin with. Gears to start, and if you reccomend swaping out a Gov-lok... what would work with stock drivetrain?

AJMBLAZER

Do you want a locker or limited slip? Planning on ever lifting the truck and/or running big tires?

Might consider just finding a 14FF with 3.73 or 4.10 gears to start. Better gears, better axle, and either an open diff or a Gov Lock that doesn't entirely suck.

McCluskey

Do you want a locker or limited slip? Planning on ever lifting the truck and/or running big tires?

Might consider just finding a 14FF with 3.73 or 4.10 gears to start. Better gears, better axle, and either an open diff or a Gov Lock that doesn't entirely suck.
I don't think I'm going to have the money to replace axels anytime soon. I was planning to just upgrade the gears, and swap out the Gov-lok.

I'm not sure which diff I want. The open diff seems to be the poorest option for off-roading. The locking diff seems a little heavy duty for a daily driver and not a full blown off-roader. I guess I'd want a limited slip.

AJMBLAZER

For the amount the gears alone cost you could have a set of 3/4 ton axles sitting there ready to go. Unless you personally know how to replace gears, or have someone willing to do it for free, I'd bet you could swap in 3/4 ton axles for less than the regearing alone costs.

Lockers aren't that bad. Especially where you live. No winter weather to make you fishtail and slide around in.

I'd suggest a Detroit Locker for a locker. Detroit's TruTrac (might be spelled different) gets good reviews for limited slips as it is gear based and not clutch based. The best would be an ARB or other selectable locker where it acts as an open diff until it is engaged and locked on your command. They're spendy however.

McCluskey

For the amount the gears alone cost you could have a set of 3/4 ton axles sitting there ready to go. Unless you personally know how to replace gears, or have someone willing to do it for free, I'd bet you could swap in 3/4 ton axles for less than the regearing alone costs.

Lockers aren't that bad. Especially where you live. No winter weather to make you fishtail and slide around in.

I'd suggest a Detroit Locker for a locker. Detroit's TruTrac (might be spelled different) gets good reviews for limited slips as it is gear based and not clutch based. The best would be an ARB or other selectable locker where it acts as an open diff until it is engaged and locked on your command. They're spendy however.
I have a friend whos in an auto-shop class at his high school. He says he can get his teacher to install it as a class lesson or something like that.

Does it take any other parts to install a locker? What size locker would fit on the stock axel?

AJMBLAZER

You'd need the gears and locker obviously, and probably a rebuild kit. I believe to put a Detroit Locker in that's all you need but I could be wrong. Consulting your local 4x4 shop, driveline shop, and/or any of the big name differential places in all the 4x4 mags could answer all your questions.

You're looking for a locker, limited slip, and/or what not for a GM Corporate 8.5" 10 bolt rear axle with 28 spline axles. Just tell them it's a '85 Chevy Blazer K5.

I'd ensure your friends' teacher actually knows how to install gears. A lot of folks who can do everything else car related don't do this. It's definitely a specialized set of skills.