• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

government liquidation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsunday25

Im looking at a cucv and a 5 ton if i would win the bids can i drive them off the lot? And my other question is can i pick them up on the weekends and how does the paperwork work? This is my first time buying sumthing off gl if the people on here that did this already i would love your input thanks.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Search is your friend.

These questions have been answered before.....many times.

The short answer on drive off is maybe....depends on the location and condition of vehicle.

Weekend pickup.......this is a gooberment contractor....not gonna happen.

Paperwork is covered in GL's fine print.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call the location, it varies from site to site.

MarcusOReallyus

What doghead said, but...

If you are looking at Ft. Meade, yes, you can drive it off, if it's drivable. You'll need to contact your DMV to get a temporary plate.

JUST BECAUSE IT IS LISTED AS "DROVE ONTO LOT" DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS IN SAFE OR RELIABLE DRIVING CONDITION!!!

For example, my recent M1008 purchase was listed as "drove onto lot", but I wound up towing it home. It would not shift into 2nd gear. That ain't gonna work on the highway! Then, while I was putting around, it munched the 2nd alternator belt. I had to rent a trailer and go back another day.

I think "drove onto lot" means it was driven off of a flatbed and they were able to park it in their lot. It does NOT mean it was test driven and it does NOT mean it is highway ready!

No, no weekends. You'll have to take a day off work.

Remember that it's a military installation. You'll have to pass through inspection, and you WILL have to have current registration, driver license, and proof of insurance. The inspection is no big deal - they'll ask you to open your doors and all compartments (glove box, hood, trunk, etc.) and they'll peek in.

Paperwork is easy. You print out a copy of your invoice, which you can download off the site when you log into your account. Take it with you. You'll sign that you have received the material.

Once you get home, you go onto the GL website and there's info on getting a title. There's a form to fill out. After a couple of weeks, you'll get a clear Arizona title in the mail, and then you can go register your truck.

On the other hand, I just picked up some non-vehicle stuff at GL's Norfolk location, and it's NEXT to the navy base, but not on it. No inspection, no security, just drive up, load up, and leave.

Anyway, back to what doghead said. Call. The phone number for the installation will be on your paid invoice. Remember that they are not heavily staffed, and they may be out on the lot and not hear your call. If you are one of those people that hates voicemail, get over it. Leave a message or lose out.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And one other thing - when you go to pick up the vehicle on the base make sure you do not have your PERSONAL DEFENSE WEAPON in your possession! This happened to me last year when I went to retrieve a M101A3 trailer at Ft. Meade. I had forgot about having my PDW in my console until I turned off the highway into the base. As I was approaching the guard station, there was this big sign that said "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED!". I was beyond the point of no return, so I prceeded to the area for vehicle inspection. I was instructed to open all doors, hood, and trunk, when up walked a 400-pound African-American Marine (no fat) with an automatic weapon and asked if I had anything I wanted to declare. I said, "Sir, my personal defense weapon is in the console and I have my Kentucky Concealed Carry License for inspection, Sir". He looked at me and said, "Lemme see your License". I showed him my license and he said, " This ain't no good on Fort Meade." I responded by asking, "Well Sir, would you take care of the weapon while I retrieved my trailer Sir?". He said no, it was not in his job description to take care of the public's weapons. Then he asked to see the weapon, and I told him it was in the console, the clip full but non-chambered. He opened the console, retrieved my weapon, removed the clip, and instructed me to place the clip in my suitcase away from the weapon. He instructed me to proceed and retrieve my trailer, but to NEVER come back to the base with any weapon in my possession whatsoever. I responded with "Sir, thank you, Sir!" and proceeded to get my trailer. As I was leaving the base I again saw the marine at the gate and we made eye-contact. He shook his finger at me as if to say "never do this again!". I responded with a "thumbs-up" and subsequently got the hail out of Dodge!

M1075

And one other thing - when you go to pick up the vehicle on the base make sure you do not have your PERSONAL DEFENSE WEAPON in your possession! This happened to me last year when I went to retrieve a M101A3 trailer at Ft. Meade. I had forgot about having my PDW in my console until I turned off the highway into the base. As I was approaching the guard station, there was this big sign that said "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED!". I was beyond the point of no return, so I prceeded to the area for vehicle inspection. I was instructed to open all doors, hood, and trunk, when up walked a 400-pound African-American Marine (no fat) with an automatic weapon and asked if I had anything I wanted to declare. I said, "Sir, my personal defense weapon is in the console and I have my Kentucky Concealed Carry License for inspection, Sir". He looked at me and said, "Lemme see your License". I showed him my license and he said, " This ain't no good on Fort Meade." I responded by asking, "Well Sir, would you take care of the weapon while I retrieved my trailer Sir?". He said no, it was not in his job description to take care of the public's weapons. Then he asked to see the weapon, and I told him it was in the console, the clip full but non-chambered. He opened the console, retrieved my weapon, removed the clip, and instructed me to place the clip in my suitcase away from the weapon. He instructed me to proceed and retrieve my trailer, but to NEVER come back to the base with any weapon in my possession whatsoever. I responded with "Sir, thank you, Sir!" and proceeded to get my trailer. As I was leaving the base I again saw the marine at the gate and we made eye-contact. He shook his finger at me as if to say "never do this again!". I responded with a "thumbs-up" and subsequently got the hail out of Dodge!
Good story! I have needed to get creative on a few recoveries myself.

GPrez

That's not just a Ft. Meade no no, that is a Maryland NO NO! We are close to having things changed here, but for now make sure you are unloaded and ammo and gun separate at a minimum. Even that may not be enough if you run into the wrong LEO.

MarcusOReallyus

Looks like some folks need to review state and federal laws on traveling with guns. Felony arrests have a way of messing up your day, and felony convictions can do a number on your life.

Maryland cops aren't known for being tolerant of "oops" when it comes to guns.

Regardless of where you stand on the issue (and I'm NOT getting into that political debate!), the current laws ARE on the books, and Maryland is known for enforcing them rigorously.

It's not unheard of for some states to, shall we say, pay no attention to federal laws about lawfully transporting firearms across state lines.

Sorting out those kinds of things can put a real dent in your CUCV fund.

Like, for the rest of your life.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We just did a pickup at a federal facility and we asked each other if had weapons just to make sure we were not going to run into a problem.

So, use the buddy system. You either get by okay or you have a cell mate you know.

:)

steelandcanvas

You asked a similar question back in March.

How do i get a license to get mv
Ok I wanted to no how I get a license to buy government liquidation vehicles. If eney one can help that would be helpful thanks

Everything you need to purchase vehicles is explained on the site. Call the Site to ask specific load-out questions. There are many threads about what to do, what to take and how to act when you go to a GL Site.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a super nice tutorial over at the G fn L website dealing with how to purchase excess DOD property. Once you digest that first hand info then request clarification should you need it. . Remember, anything you hear on SS needs to be verified by you. At JAX DRMO/ GL there are a few sets of rules to follow depending on who's there. I'm sure other locations are similarly different.

Crewdawg141

Go to GL and read the Terms and Conditions link at the bottom of the home page. If you still have questions they do have a 800 number to call and their live chat really is a live chat with a person at GL. Use it and you will be saved from asking questions here that GL can better answer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Let me add something to this older thread that I learned after dealing with GL Jacksonville, FL.

Some of the property sold on GL is located on remote and/or highly restricted areas.

The MK48's that sold a while back were on Blount Island near the Port of Jacksonville....if GL did not put you on the access list you did not get on base, even with a vailid military ID card.....do not pass the gate, do not collect your property.

On unmanned sites you work around GL's schedule.....at Albany, GA they are there one day a week.....be there or be square. They say you have to pick up your property within 10 working days....some sites will work with you, some won't.

Make sure you have a "Plan B" to get your stuff off the base.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok sounds good. I figured we would have a "stickey" on it by now

We do. It is called the GL Forum. This is the CUCV Forum.

I'm closing this thread as it has gone WAY off track.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks