• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Govplanet HMMWV initial bid set to 5000

kestrelnh

Hey all,

Sort of a PSA, since I was curious when I saw it. I contacted GovPlanet customer service, and they told me that the initial bid on all HMMWVS is going to be 5000, regardless of condition.

Hope this helps prevent any confusion!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
Have the starting bids on the M105A2s been lowered as well? I won one yesterday at what was the starting price, I thought, and then it had two bids. Maybe you all lowered the start since I put in my priority bid.
We won't lower them after they are in preview on the site.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have the starting bids on the M105A2s been lowered as well? I won one yesterday at what was the starting price, I thought, and then it had two bids. Maybe you all lowered the start since I put in my priority bid.
IMO Any number of bidders can place a early bid for the same amount, the earliest bid wins.

DatGuyC

Hopefully me see more newer trucks, they had a m1097a2 the other day that was set to start at 5k. Ended up going for a little over 15 which isn't bad at all.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Strictly from a cost benefit analysis, I think a $5000 fixer upper would be a better investment than a $35,000 better looking auction truck.

TedG

My opinion is that the quality of hmmwv's is down based upon the trucks available now so the minimum bid is still too high for me. Then add the buyers fee, sales tax, shipping and then repairs to get it off road worthy. (gold plated blinker arms and hard doors now! lol)

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with a high starting bid is that, unless you have the time or ability to sit through the entire GP auction to wait for an unsold item to run through again, you can't put in what I feel would be a reasonable bid. At least GL would run an unsold item through at a lower price at a later auction, so you would have a chance to enter a lower bid without sitting several hours watching the GP auction.

As an example, I'm not going to pay $300 for a rusty M105A2 with no sides or cover, but I have bought many for $125-250. Since last Jan, GP has sold 123 M105a2 trailers (21%) from $50-275 out of 594 trailers. Another 127 of the 594 trailers were sold at the starting bid of $300 (I bought one with a cover at this price because I couldn't watch the auction). That's 42% of the trailers that sold at or below the starting bid. Even GL had to drop their starting bid on these trailers from $150 down to $50 because so many were getting no bids.

Often, a low starting bid will generate more interest among potential bidders, and the resulting sale price will be much higher than with a high starting bid. I've seen this many times at live auctions where no one will offer a bid at a high starting price, but many bidders will jump in when the auctioneer drops the starting bid, and the ending bid will be much higher that his first starting. Once people start bidding on an item, many times they will get carried away and bid much higher than they had intended to ( I know I've done this!).

EO2NMCB

Trailboss hit the nail on the head. I've watched many items on GP start at 5k receive no bids. Then it is run thru again later in the same acution at 3.5k and sells at 6 to 6.5k.

kestrelnh

I'm expecting my m998 in January (if the EUC comes through) and am most likely a one-vehicle collector, but I have an almost academic interest in the effect this will have on the ultimate closing price of HMMWVs on GP. My guess is there will be a weird transition period where people still think that 5000 means non-running, and 7500 means running, and that will throw things off. Once everyone understands the new system, I agree will Trailboss and EO2NMCB that closing prices could actually go up, but I'm not heavily versed in auction psychology, so I'm watching closely :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks