• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Govplanet pickup /Barstow

bob69302

This is the address govplanet sent me yesterday:
Facility: Barstow Marine Corps Logistics Base (Barstow MCLB)
Address: Boll Ave., Bldg. 226, Barstow CA 92311

SLOrazorsedge

I was just at MCLB as well picking up baby SeaTrain containers, there are a bunch of the HMMWV's waiting for pick-up from GP auctions. No loading docks RobertoGatos have been offered for use, even though the train tracks run right behind the pick-up lot. I've watched them use a large forklift to load M939's on semi flatbed trailers. Thankfully I've always come equipped to get a troublemaker started and removed from the lot without forklift or tow truck. There are actually two locations at Barstow to pick up auction wins, MCLB and YERMO which is down the road another 5-6 miles.

bob69302

Ok so I wanted to finish this thread by telling everyone how my experience went with pickup up my '92 M998. First off I would like to thank the only person at MCLB that is in charge of helping a person with their new joy. I wont name drop but him and his wife were AMAZING (BTW she is pregnant so congrats to those two!). He offered me three loading ramps to load the M998 into. He loaded it into a 20' UHaul truck. It fit with about 1/2" on each side to spare, but it does fit! f your guiding him in make sure your skinny like me because you will need to hop up on top of the 998 and then they will need to close the door, you will need to fall being the truck, then they will open the door again! Don't go down the side or else you will get stuck! Im 6'2" and 140LBs (toothpick!) and didn't fit. He let me strap the truck down as I wanted and never blinked an eye. Him and his wife went and got lunch while I was anchoring the truck so it would not move. After that I needed to pick up the trailer from Yermo. Again I followed him there with my UHaul and a UHaul car carrier for the trailer. He lifted my trailer up with a forklift and set it on the trailer perfectly! I strapped it down and made it home perfectly. If you buy from MCLB or Yermo you will have a very positive experience because of the man and wife that help you. They truly care.

Now if your going to pickup at MCLB you must go to the back gate. I forget the name of the exit but I think its exit 3. If your on the freeway, just drive right past the main gate and take the next exit and take the next exit. Keep left and you will end up right at the entrance. They will take your ID and process it for about 5 min and send you on your way. They are VERY nice people to talk to as well. Make sure you have your registration and insurance (in my case UHaul paperwork ready, don't slack off as your approaching the gate).

To end my book (sorta) I could not be happier with GovPlanet as a company. They have always helped me, and then to receive the assistance I needed at MCLB and Yermo by their employees was amazing. The truck and trailer were in FAR better condition there described. The only issue I had was on the passenger tie rod. The clamps that clamp the inner and outer tie rod to the center bar are backwards (see my post in want to buy!) One hits the wheel really bad and the other rubs the sway bar. Other then that, 100% PERFECT review of the truck.

One final note, and I KNOW this will cause issues within this thread but GovPlanet is now offering SF97's for the Humvees or any other item sold. Its $50 +tax. I bought them for the truck and the trailer. $108. I say they are offing SF97s because I am trying to get off-road tags in CA. I must have this document to even allow me to tow my truck to the trails and desert. The SF97 allows me to buy off road tags and pay the fees to enjoy the trails and pay for the maintenance of them. Trails and parks are not free!

I could not thank GovPlanet, and the person hired by them to help me load the truck and trailer enough. I know I started this thread wanting to drive the truck off the lot (which is legal because you own the item, BUT BE SMART, DONT DO IT) get a UHaul or whatever for 200 bucks and enjoy the AC though Barstow! This is not a plug for UHaul because I got a POS trailer with a tounge that was cracked almost to the center, but it did tow straight.

Thank you MCLB, GovPlanet and most importantly the man and wife that help me load my truck and trailer. And give the loader at MCLB a nice tip, its for their child's college fund.

God Bless,
Phil

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the positive feedback! We at GP try to be as helpful as we can I am glad your experience was top notch! I'll make sure this gets passed on to our Territory POC's manager!

GMVguy

Yes, the POC at Barstow is AWESOME. If you pickup an item at MCLB, you will be well taken care of.

bob69302

inside.jpg
unloading.jpg
This is when we were unloading it. The back door did close with about 6" to spare inside a 20' uhaul. Make sure you take the doors off!! It will NOT FIT with the doors installed. Also I did break one clip holding the top on. Small price to pay I think!

trailer on trailer.jpg
And if you get the matching trailer for the hmmwv rent the car trailer as well! The tire straps don't go around the tires but they wrap around the shocks and mounts and ratchet the suspension down tight. Then the safety chains lock the back down for good. The on the tounge of the m1101 use the other safety chain and a ratchet strap to keep it tight.

Last edited:

painter paul

As a former U-Haul dealer I don't believe the wood rails inside a van box are near strong enough to hold a vehicle. If someone would have wanted to rent one from me for that purpose I would probably refused. I know its been done but I don't believe its safe at all. And knowingly renting a box truck to haul a vehicle may be a conflict with regulations. I'm not trying to be difficult, just safe. I have had to recover the rented vehicles when grossly,dangerously overloaded. Be safe out there!

ProximityX

Ha! Completely awesome to jam a hmmwv inside a uhaul truck. Too bad you couldn't back it in. And those "ramps"! Nice job getting it all home safe.